Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sharpening unfocused image

• 15-08-2007 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭

I am in deep trouble. I have been asked to take a picture of my colleague and I took only one. And having manual 50mm lense, I left it focused a littlebit far than he was. Just about few centimeters, but what can you expect from aperture 2.8?
    Is there any way how to sharpen his face a little? It is BW picture. And "Sharpen" tool in PS CS2 provides horrible products :-(
    What can I do instead of sending the filo to some of you?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Contrast is your friend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

It helped a little. I had do decrease brightnes, but it wasn't enough. So I am going to burn his face!
    thanks a lot
    I really must start studying PS, not just using it. I don;t have the basic knowledge :-(

Is there some easy trick to try colour variants of BW picture, like sepia, oldish-yellow and so?
    Once I've started asking...
    I feel like a squirell after drinking coffee (Hoodwinked). I have reduced amount of photographs from a wedding to 114, but all of them must be tweaked, retouched, levelled and curved.
    What have I done?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

ThOnda wrote:
    Is there some easy trick to try colour variants of BW picture, like sepia, oldish-yellow and so?

Image>Adjustments>Variations is a quick way to look at different colour tones at least.

Have a look at high pass filter sharpening also for correcting your unfocused image:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/high-pass-sharpening.shtml

Thanks a lot. I am going to do that before going to bed. There are at least 60 pictures left which are waiting my attention.
    What am I doing? I have absolutely no idea, how the pictures are going to look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Muineach

I've gotten great results with high pass sharpening, especially for animals etc, I've found that to get the best results it may take 2/3 high pass filters with varying degrees of "radius" and masks to get the best results.

for example a radius of 2-4 may pick up the animals fur, while leaving the snout relatively untouched, then do another with really high value like 30 which emphasises the snout, then put some layers masks on, as at this stage everything is way over sharpened, then play with the opacity a bit.

Shouldn't be to bad, if you sent on a photo or post it and I'll give it a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I assume you tried Unsharp mask in photoshop? Its magic. If you want you can pop it up here and I can see what I can do.

Advertisement