Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intercooler Problem.

• 15-08-2007 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Car : Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI 2005 55,000kms.

Reported fault : Drops of oil on the ground below the engine (RHS).

Right, once the symptom above was reported, I had the car booked in to a Skoda main dealer as it is still under manufacturers warranty.

I get a call to say that a new intercooler is needed as it is leaking oil. I immediately questioned this as, to my mind, oil should not be in the intercooler. I'm told that the intercooler has a crack (of sorts) and that it is letting oil out.

Now correct me if I'm wrong here, but would you consider this to be a problem with the turbo? Fair enough, if the intercooler has a crack it needs to be replaced, but surely there is a secondary problem of oil getting into the boost section of the intake system - no?

I've been told by the dealer that it is normal for oil to be present in the boost section, but I tend not to agree. I do accept that there may be some residue e.g. if you wipe your finger on the inside of a boost pipe it will come out black, but should liquid oil be passing through the boost pipes and intercooler? Surely this will affect emissions and potentially damage the catalytic convertor at some point in the future?

Personally, I feel that the seals in the turbocharger are questionable and the car may need a new turbo - time will tell. But the dealer is adamant that all that needs replacing is the intercooler.

Any opinions/advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

crosstownk wrote:
    Personally, I feel that the seals in the turbocharger are questionable and the car may need a new turbo - time will tell. But the dealer is adamant that all that needs replacing is the intercooler.

I'd agree. When I took the intercooler off the mondeo before it was as you say. Black and dirty inside, but there was no liquid oil in it.

Is the car burning clean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

maidhc wrote:

Is the car burning clean?

TBH, I don't know - I've never seen the car. But I'll be getting an exhaust gas analysis done if they refuse to investigate the turbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'd say your hunch is right there ...ther should be no oil (not in drip-able quantities) anywhere near the intercooler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Ehh, actually I know with passat's it is normal enough to have some oil there. It can be from turbo seals, or from the crankcase ventilation system. If there was too much oil in the car it's more likely to get in there, also blocked / malfunctioning PCV system can cause oil to be forced into areas it shouldn't be.
    Remember, the intercooler may cause oil in mist form to condense e.g from crankcase ventilation, and the intercooler is low down in the air intake. Where else will it collect.

Anyway, if the car is not using oil - like a half litre per 1000 miles. then no worries. Almost all Alfa 156 drink oil, they run fine with catalyst.
    If your car is, or starts using oil you may have a larger problem

Anyway, the leaking oil should be fixed, new intercooler, seals whatever.
    (this is being repaired under warranty right?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

oil in the intercooler is normal enough IME.

However, if its consuming oil and its ending up in there, thats another thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ehh, actually I know with passat's it is normal enough to have some oil there. It can be from turbo seals, or from the crankcase ventilation system. If there was too much oil in the car it's more likely to get in there, also blocked / malfunctioning PCV system can cause oil to be forced into areas it shouldn't be.
    Remember, the intercooler may cause oil in mist form to condense e.g from crankcase ventilation, and the intercooler is low down in the air intake. Where else will it collect.

Anyway, if the car is not using oil - like a half litre per 1000 miles. then no worries. Almost all Alfa 156 drink oil, they run fine with catalyst.
    If your car is, or starts using oil you may have a larger problem

Anyway, the leaking oil should be fixed, new intercooler, seals whatever.
    (this is being repaired under warranty right?)

That's very similar to what the dealer said on the phone. But enough oil in the intake to drip through a faulty intercooler doesn't sound right to me.

I'm gonna have to monitor this car for a while..........

Advertisement