Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stop signs

Options
  • 15-08-2007 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Many stops signs in my town you have to cross the white line in order to get a good enough view to check both ways before proceeding. Would I be penalised for crossing this line in the test?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

you stop at the white line and then edge out slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

tuxy wrote:
    Many stops signs in my town you have to cross the white line in order to get a good enough view to check both ways before proceeding. Would I be penalised for crossing this line in the test?

Failing to stop before the white line is a Grade 3 fault and so an instant fail. The idea of having the white line back a bit is so that you stop, then creep out slowly whilst checking each way before deciding to go if it's safe to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Noskoda

tuxy wrote:

YES you will be penalised if you do not stop. Stop completely at the stop line, count 3 seconds in your mind, then creep forward until you can see. You do not need to pull up the handbrake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

It would be advisable to pull up the handbrake to ensure that the car doesn't roll in the appropriate situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

As previously posted, YES you must stop at the line, then proceed forward (creeping) to allow yourself a better view.
    There are also situations where there may only be a STOP line, without an accompanying sign. The stop line is a solid white line across the top of youside of the road, often it can be set back a little from the actual junction. One that spring to mind is part of thr churchtown/rathgar route, in one of the estates of Barton Rd East. Now quite why there may be a stop line without a sign is beyond me, but careful observation and possibly tips from a good instructor familiar with the area, will help.
    Similarly, there may be a yield marking (dashed or broken white line) without a sign.

• Advertisement
Advertisement