Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TNA News

• 16-08-2007 2:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭

PWInsider are reporting that Kurt Angle is attempting to get Brock Lesnar into TNA. Dixie Carter has had a meeting with Brock. I'd still be surprised to see Brock show up in TNA, and I think it would be a bad decision on his part unless he's getting a fair amount of money. In which case, it would be a bad decision on TNA's part

Karen Angle has signed a contract with TNA. So either she'll do a few photoshoots for them or she's going to be sticking around. I don't see the point

Jerry Lynn, Matt Bentley, Brother Runt, Damaja and Basham are all gone from the company according to PWInsider. I'd heard that Damaja just didn't bother showing up a few weeks ago, he might have cost Doug Basham his job. Matt Bentley's still a talented guy to an extent, shame he's been wasted for quite a while now. Jerry Lynn asked for his release. Fair play to him, he's a smart smart man

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Fozzy wrote:
    PWInsider are reporting that Kurt Angle is attempting to get Brock Lesnar into TNA. Dixie Carter has had a meeting with Brock. I'd still be surprised to see Brock show up in TNA, and I think it would be a bad decision on his part unless he's getting a fair amount of money. In which case, it would be a bad decision on TNA's part

This would make no sense on Lesnar's part unless like you said they offered him a boat load of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

This would make no sense on Lesnar's part unless like you said they offered him a boat load of money.

Indeed, he got 500K to fight or k-1 , but i honestly cannot see that offer being matched for a multiple fight dead by any of the big org in MMA to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭savemejebus

If that is true it's terrible news for both Lesnar and TNA.

For Lesnar as it'll look like his mma ambitions are just a fleeting thing, and will ruin any credibility he has.

And for TNA it'll accelerate the already dangerous downward spiral that they are on.

I know that i'm probably alone in this but seriously I've stopped watching TNA as it's become the WCW/WWE oldies and reject show. When TNA was on the wrestling channel in the beginning I'd watch it every chance i had, Jarret was the only consistent familiar face from the other companies while new stars such as Aj Styles, Chris Sabin, Team Canada, AMW, Christopher Daniels, Low Ki etc. were providing great entertainment, that was fresh and different to wwe. Kind of like when you used to be able to watch the old Jushin Liger and Chris Benoit matches years ago on Eurosport.

Now the guys that made TNA popular are increasingly left as jobbers whle Every Single title in the company is on an ex-wwe guy. When it was just a couple of ex wwe guys like Christian and Rhino, it was ok because they were in feuds with different TNA originals and also because they fit in, but now the show is dominated by ex wwe and wcw talent and guys that were previously getting over on talent are stuck in comedy skits and gimmicks with Kevin Nash. Angle isn't fitting in, he's taking over. Samoa Joe's value in the company has dropped horribly while the X-Division is all but gone. Who wants to see Kurt Angles wife in TNA? Why is that pushed on us? BTW I also think that Angle hasn't impressed one bit since debuting, imo he's a shadow of his former self. Also having seen the video of him dumping AJ Styles off of the cage (a planned spot I know) at lockdown and then celebrating like a retarded gorilla I've lost all respect for him. He didn't even look down to see that Styles was ok.

If that is true it's terrible news for both Lesnar and TNA.

I'm with you on the rest of what you said but it really depends on the prospective deal on whether its good for TNA.

I mean if your gonna sign former WWE guys, Lesnar is the kinda guy you go for more so than say a Test or a Goldust. Certainly there would be money in a Lesnar Joe feud although probably not as much since they've hurt Joe and you can't exactly trust TNA to do it right.

Just in terms of pay in MMA, I would be virtually certain that he'd make 7 figures for a fight in the UFC right now. Generally their top drawing guys get a six figure base salary and then get a percentage of the buy rate. Lesnar would certainly have the leverage I think to negotiate for that right now.

The downside of MMA for Lesnar would be if he lost decisively early on his career would hurt his drawing power and thus the deal he could negotiate. But right now thats not an issue and he probably has more leverage now than he may ever have.

Basically working TNA is a safe option for him that offers easy money so I guess it does make a little more sense for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I dunno about Lesnar going to TNA is a bad move or not, Angle v Lesnar would be a big money match for TNA, lets be honest here. When have they ever had a bad match?

And if that draws, which it probably will, it can only be a good thing for TNA, right?

VR!

• Advertisement

And if that draws, which it probably will, it can only be a good thing for TNA, right?

Yeah but what happens after that? Where does TNA go after this? Will Lesnar job to Joe? Will he put over AJ or Christopher Daniels? Angle certainly won't so why would Lesnar be expected to.

I think TNA need to get back to pushing and creating their own stars rather than relying on former stars that will only take while giving sweet fa in return.

Angle did a lot more for wrestling than Lesnar, who for all intents and purposes is a one year wonder! Lesnar has proven that he is money driven over the years too, pay him enough, he'll probably job to f*cking Hornswaggle!

VR!

There is no disputing that angle did a lot for wrestling but I think what is debatable is how much he's done for TNA? He's got them name recognition and he's definitely brought some fans over but that's all short term. He hasn't made any new stars, he hasn't elevated anyone (apart from his wife). On the contrary he's made joe seem weak and made every title in the organisation worthless.

Lesnar is money driven but he's recognised as a natural talent, sure he's arrogant but he is talented, and he knows well how much interest a return to US wrestling will generate and so I'd say he'd be very unlikely to job for just anyone.

He hasn't made any new stars, he hasn't elevated anyone (apart from his wife). On the contrary he's made joe seem weak and made every title in the organisation worthless.

I don't fully agree with that to be honest, Joe has made himself seem weak over the past year, he's a shadow of his former self so he doesn't really need Angle to do that for him.

VR!

I can't say i fully agree with you but even if that's the case, why would Joe do that? Could it have anything to do with being badly utilised? Stuck in programmes where he knows he's going to be made look bad, or where he can't work his own style as his opponents won't agree.

No-one knows except Joe I guess. I think that we may be able to agree however on the fact that Joe is now a victim of TNA Syndrome, a star coming in hot, and being build up to monster status only to be turned into a glorified mid-carder due to the company changing focus onto a former wwe/wcw star.

• Advertisement

I can't say i fully agree with you but even if that's the case, why would Joe do that? Could it have anything to do with being badly utilised? Stuck in programmes where he knows he's going to be made look bad, or where he can't work his own style as his opponents won't agree.

No-one knows except Joe I guess. I think that we may be able to agree however on the fact that Joe is now a victim of TNA Syndrome, a star coming in hot, and being build up to monster status only to be turned into a glorified mid-carder due to the company changing focus onto a former wwe/wcw star.

He suffered a knee injury at the end of last year, or earlier this year and personally, i don't think he has been the same since. His initial program with Angle wasn't badly utilised, Joe put Angle over, and then Angle put Joe over, and then he got injured.

As for TNA Syndrome, I think it's more a case of Joe was there when TNA needed him the most before the likes of Angle, Sting, Christian etc. Doubtful if Joe cares either, especially now that he's going to be working Japan too. If it did bother him, he'd do a Jerry Lynn and ask for his release. It's not like there wouldn't be a lack of interest for him elsewhere, be that ROH, Japan or WWE even!

VR!

I'd disagree with you there, in my opinion Joe was the loser in that set of matches. The matches themselves were mediocre at best and they could have been booked in such a way as to increase Joe's monster heel credibility and emphasise Angles skills. But that's just my opinion, I'm sure others think differently.

You're probably right, Joe is probably happy to coast along at the moment, he's a heavyweight and in TNA at the moment that fits in with what seems to be coming so he's assured of at least a mid-card spot. I think Lynn saw the writing on the wall with regards to the smaller guys and the x-division and got out before he was buried.

All depends on how much a Lesnar/Kurt match draws and how much their paying Lesnar on whether its a good idea or not.

On Joe, TNA have weakened him.This last program has done no favors at all for him and really his momentum stalled immediately after they placed him with the main event guys 16 months ago.

He's in a tricky situation. He's not exactly being booked well in TNA but he's unlikely to do better financially anywhere else. He might have more fun at ROH but won't make anywhere near the living. In WWE, well they already have their Samoan.

Joe was the loser in that set of matches, but he was far from buried. As for Joe being built as a monster heel, i would call an 18 month undefeated streak a pretty good buildup for this current generation of wrestling!

Joe is sticking around because he knows full well that when Angle is so badly beaten up that he'll have to retire, Lesnar walks after about 2 months, Sting is no longer a draw and Christian goes elsewhere, TNA will go right back to him! ;)

VR!

Nahh, they'll sign some other WWE cast off and give him the push. Or they might not be in business. I'm half joking. You just never know with TNA.

Seriously though, they had something with Joe that you can't create easily and they've damaged it even if they do go back to him in time. He's gone from a monster to being the Angles family bitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

In all fairness, why should Angle job to Joe. He's a better technichal wrestler and he took a massive risk coming to TNA where his competition was former IC champions and TNA or ROH promoted wrestlers. He would have been insane to agree to put them over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

I think TNA need to get back to pushing and creating their own stars rather than relying on former stars that will only take while giving sweet fa in return.

Sounds a bit like the end of the monday night war doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Bubs101 wrote:
    In all fairness, why should Angle job to Joe. He's a better technichal wrestler and he took a massive risk coming to TNA where his competition was former IC champions and TNA or ROH promoted wrestlers. He would have been insane to agree to put them over.

Joe is TNA's biggest "homegrown" star. Angle hasn't been anywhere near his best since joining TNA. TNA have their core audience but they're looking to expand it obviously. Now if all these potential viewers see that Angle is beating the best TNA has to offer, why should they watch? Most of them have already seen Angle as world champ, and as a hell of a lot better world champ than he is now. None of them have seen Joe in that position. It would be fresh and exciting for them. It would make a TNA guy look like a great wrestler rather than worthless, in turn making TNA look strong

Joe has definitely been damaged by this Angle feud. VR said that Joe's 18 month unbeaten streak built him up as a monster. But the people who were watching TNA then are the same people who are watching now. For the first Joe vs Angle match they got a lot of new people buying the ppv, and that's when they started to make Joe look bad

Fozzy wrote:
    For the first Joe vs Angle match they got a lot of new people buying the ppv, and that's when they started to make Joe look bad

I think they did too many Joe v Angle matches too soon. And didn't have Joe win an equal amount of them. But Joe, ring-wise hasn't been putting on the stellar matches this year that most people have been used to over the last couple of years. And that is no way Angle's fault.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

But Joe, ring-wise hasn't been putting on the stellar matches this year that most people have been used to over the last couple of years. And that is no way Angle's fault.

It's TNA's fault. For the last two years Joe had been wrestling the likes of AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels, both of whom I think are capable of putting on better matches than Angle at this time

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote:
    It's TNA's fault. For the last two years Joe had been wrestling the likes of AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels, both of whom I think are capable of putting on better matches than Angle at this time

Styles yes, but nt Daniels, he's as bland as f*ck and has been for the last two years or so!

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

I'm glad to see TNA let some of their roster go, god only knows it was too crowded there as it was. I think the Bashams will get a tryout in ROH, and Jerry Lynn will probably be brought in for a match or two. I think Shane could get brought into the CW division on Smackdown, whether or not they play up him being Shawn Michaels cousin or not is up to them.

I don't think Lesnar is the best idea for TNA, but they could get good money out of him in the short term with matches against Joe and Angle.

On the Styles vs Daniels argument, I'd always take Daniels over Styles, he's much better in one on one matches. And Daniels had the better one on one match against Joe, I remember it on Impact, it took up half the show. Styles is blander (it's a word now :)) than Daniels too, Daniels is a very good promo man, whereas Styles' promos are awful.

Advertisement