Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Individual posting limits

Options
  • 16-08-2007 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭

Lately I have noticed that if I try to post a reply or start a thread with anything more than 20/30 lines of text my link is lost and I get the cannot find server/this page cannot be displayed nonsense.
    Is this because of the increase in traffic on the site or is there a limit, although I have seen plenty of posts longer than my attempts?
    Also this blue screen thing thats been going on for a couple of months, it seems to happen after about 20 minute of browsing boards, is there any settings or ways to prevent this happening?
    I thought it might be my connection but I can post and browse other sites no problem.

Any suggestions

Mark
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

There is a 10,000 charachter limit to any post.

The cannot find server thing happens because the server can't handle all the traffic. See various threads here in feedback for details.
    Lunchtime is usually the busiest and things tend to go downhill from there.

I don't know what this blue screen thing you speak of is.
    Any chance of a screen shot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Terry wrote:
    I don't know what this blue screen thing you speak of is.
    Any chance of a screen shot?

Its basically the boards page with only the headers(the rest of the page blue with no info) and it sits like that for maybe 5-15 minutes, been going on for a while, even refreshing doesnt seem to help now. I have seen a couple of other queries within feedback regarding a similiar problem
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055126693

Thanks for the heads up on the text limit, but I dont think I have ever tried to post a reply or thread with 10,000 words.

I guess its probably the traffic. Its a pity because it seems that the fact that boards so interesting (thus increasing its popularity/traffic) is also proving to be its downfall (maybe a bit dramatic, but some of these issues are more than just irritating now(also the search devolution that happened last year)).

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Thanks for the heads up on the text limit, but I dont think I have ever tried to post a reply or thread with 10,000 words.

10000 characters, not words! Characters include spaces and punctuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Its basically the boards page with only the headers(the rest of the page blue with no info) and it sits like that for maybe 5-15 minutes, been going on for a while, even refreshing doesnt seem to help now. I have seen a couple of other queries within feedback regarding a similiar problem
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055126693

I guess its probably the traffic. Its a pity because it seems that the fact that boards so interesting (thus increasing its popularity/traffic) is also proving to be its downfall (maybe a bit dramatic, but some of these issues are more than just irritating now(also the search devolution that happened last year)).

Mark
    I see.
    It's a white page when it happens me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Slow coach wrote:
    10000 characters, not words! Characters include spaces and punctuation.

Thanks man, but im beginning to think its mostly the traffic,
    When I posted the last reply I wanted to edit it, clarify a point, but every time I tried to post the Edit it hung on me, after 3 attempts and 20minutes wasted I thought whats the point.
    This has been going on for a while also.......

This site has been of great use and Ive always enjoyed lurking around for an hour or so most days and these little problems by themselves would be ok but together they are more than irritating.
    Hopefully these annoyances can be sorted by the powers that be,

mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If there are any set limits, you won't get a "Page cannot be displayed" error - vBulletin will load fine, and you'll be told what the limit is. Any errors are the result of connectivity issues.

The site's been flying along for me today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Sites been running VERY slow for me the last 2 days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yep, i know it was under heavy load last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

For any post more than a couple of lines I use notepad, then cut and paste. Bitter experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Hagar wrote:
    For any post more than a couple of lines I use notepad, then cut and paste. Bitter experience.
    Use firefox, it remembers everything you type in, so if it fails you just have to hit the back button and your post is still there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement