Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to Lap the Lough?

Options
  • 16-08-2007 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Is anyone else on the forum planning on doing Lap the Lough? (http://www.lapthelough.org). I'll be riding to the start from the Banbridge area if anyone's interested in company on the way over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I am going to give it a go, going to be driving to the start from Dublin though.

Any idea what the terrain is like for this ride ?
    How does it compare to ROK does anyone know for atmosphere and stops etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I did it last year. They'd shortened it to ~75 miles but they regretted it as it put us on unpleasant, busy roads.
    I drove up on the morning of the ride. Dead easy.
    The route is quite flat and was mostly very quiet. A doddle compared to RoK and Wicklow.
    There were 2 stops. Both nicely stocked with bananas, water, biscuits and tea/coffee. Sorted me out. I think the finish point had similar stuff. And showers - though the floors in the shower area were soaked.

I enjoyed it, but cannot do it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

i'm living in dublin and would really like to do it.
    when is it? and is there a bus or train to there, or is anyone from the forum driving and could i hitch a lift?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I think I'll take a wee ride out from Belfast to Kinnego marina to see the start but I won't be doing the route, just heading back home afterwards. Sadly have had no time to get any decent miles in lately let alone apply to take part. Shouldn't be too taxing though - flat most of the way. Hope the weather is good as it isn't really the most scenic part of Ireland on a bad day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭wwhyte

ba wrote:
    i'm living in dublin and would really like to do it.
    when is it? and is there a bus or train to there, or is anyone from the forum driving and could i hitch a lift?

It's Sunday the 26th. Check-in is 7.30-8.30 am and the ride starts at 9. There's a train to Portadown, five miles from the start, but unfortunately the earliest train on Sunday leaves Dublin at 10 am. And the earliest Aircoach leaves the airport at 7 and gets to Banbridge, 14 miles from the start, at 8.50. If you're willing to travel up on the day there's a list of suggested accommodation on www.lapthelough.org.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Titiritero

Did the whole loop on the August bank holiday and it was great, despite of the weather. Nice quiet routes, well signposted, nearly traffic free and pretty flat. We went 6 of us, with 3 girls, and they all coped perfectly dividing it into 3 stages of 75, 77 and 36 km, starting and ending in Portadown.

By the way, the train there (Enterprise) doesn´t charge for the bikes, unlike the bike unfriendly Irish Rail!! When is the green party going to change that?

Titiritero wrote:
    By the way, the train there (Enterprise) doesn´t charge for the bikes, unlike the bike unfriendly Irish Rail!! When is the green party going to change that?
    ba - maybe you can get the train up the previous day. Kinnego Marino is a caravan park and campsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

thanks guys. is the lap september or this month?

ba wrote:
    thanks guys. is the lap september or this month?
    That is answered in post #6.

Advertisement