Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista 'Freezing'

• 16-08-2007 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

I got a new Dell 9200 system Recently

1.8Ghz Dual Core
    500Gb HD
    2Gb RAM

Vista Home Premium.

All working brilliantly, however the first two times I have started it up, it seems to 'freeze' intermittently.

The whole thing freezes up, mouse wont move, lights sont come on keyboard...this lasts about 8-11 seconds and then its brand new again.

Anybody be able to offer any kind of explanation for this? Or any suggested fix?

My thinking was that because it was downloading tonnes of software updates from the web etc, that it just got 'clogged'.

This happened to anybody else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

At what point exactly is it doing this? After or before logon (or if u dont use logon is it during the after/before/during the welcome screen?).

I've done a bit of googling for you but no solutions as of yet. More information is always handy tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 guigsy

Not a lot of people know this but even though Computers leave the assembly plant in a 'Tested' fashion many times there are faults that simply don't show themselves until a later stage due to transport or otherwise. As a rule of thumb you should always stress test your machine for 2 days after purchase. No one does this and its the only way to see if its ok. Would you buy a pint of beer and never taste it? Its the same difference.

There are tons of tools to do this and some you have to pay for but they are things that you will use for life!!!

http://www.passmark.com/sales/index.php

this is a truly awesome app and will punish you PC.
    Many Pc's overheat due to poor design as was recently found in a huge fashion by the Xbox 360 overheating issue that cost them a lot of money. There was simply no stress testing done!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Have you made sure your patched up to date? Click on Windows Update from your start orb to make sure your not missing an important update or fix.

When Vista first came out, it had a few bugs. I have heard of simliar issues occuring with out of the box Dells and other brands with Vista on them. All of these however are fixed after the first time you run Windows Update and get the latest patches and fixes for issues.

Sometimes Dell has them all installed at the factory, sometimes they don't.

I would start by checking that and seeing if it doesn't correct your freezing issue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

CptSternn wrote:
    Sometimes Dell has them all installed at the factory, sometimes they don't.
    very rarely do they have them to date. and once they generate an image they don't seem to keep it refreshed :(

Power off, ( not reboot ) power on Press F12 for the diags and leave it overnight , if it hangs there it's hardware.

Then again if it comes back to life it probably isn't hardware so then it's most likely waiting for something and patching is necessary, timeouts are a pain in windows, things like mapped drives , peripherals

Advertisement