Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benelli ban

Options
  • 16-08-2007 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

In a recent thread where all and sundry was debated, a point was made regarding a model of shotgun, a benelli m3 or m4 I can't recall properly.

Anyhoo, I'm not familiar with this gun, but was told it was a shotgun that could be converted from semi to pump, and was a very utilitarian looking item.

I was very recently discussing a remington semi with a firearms dealer who as a by-the-way told me that the import of this Benelli model has just been stopped by the DOJ. Not just a particular gun, but the model itself.
    The dealer in question is a large operation who imports many guns, and I have no reason to doubt him.

Does anyone have any more verifiable information on this matter?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

It is a load of cobblers.The Benelli M3 is a pump/semi auto,there is nothing sinister about the gun apart from that it can be got with a extended mag and a pistol gripped "FN FAL"style stock and a 24in muzzle breaked barrel.

This rumour has been going around for ages,and seems to have originated because a certain dealer[it is never specified who exactly] had orderd a load of them and couldnt get them in.
    It seems to be that [1] there was a under 24in barrel model in the order,which made it illegal and the whole shipment were confiscated [2]The dealer promised more than he could deliver and blamed the DOJ for the no show of orders [3]He made no money on the deal and killed it by the DOJ excuse.
    Realistically the M3 can be got in a wood stock,5 shot config no problem,and retrofitted to black gun look no problem if you want it.You can import it from the EU on an individual basis no problem either.There are a few of them for sale around,albeit expensive.So how is it illegal??
    Dunno why you would want it tho.They are expensive,not that cracked as made out to be,and kick like mules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Banjax

Clare gunner

What you say sounds plausible, the reason I posted in the first place was see if there was truth in it beyond what I'd heard with my own ears.

As for why I would want one, well I don't. I was interested in a remington 1100, a model which I've used before and quite like. The Benelli matter came up during the course of conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Flying

I have an M3 never had a problem with getting it and accessories and actually know of two dealers in Louth and Dublin who stock them and also one of them has a Franchini (spelling) SPAS 15, now weither that is legal or not I am not sure otherwise the above is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Garda have been issued with Benelli's ? And therefore, we can't have them. 'cause they is more dangerous than say a beretta, fabarm, lanber ..... That's what I heard ......

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

Garda have been issued with Benelli's ? And therefore, we can't have them. 'cause they is more dangerous than say a beretta, fabarm, lanber ..... That's what I heard ......

That seems logical enough to me.....:rolleyes: :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Hezz700 wrote:
    That seems logical enough to me.....:rolleyes: :D

Same old, same old, make up rules that have no basis in law, yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Flying wrote:
    I have an M3 never had a problem with getting it and accessories and actually know of two dealers in Louth and Dublin who stock them and also one of them has a Franchini (spelling) SPAS 15, now weither that is legal or not I am not sure otherwise the above is fine.

Franchi :) Yes totally legal here as well.Although it is worse than the M3.Twice the price,and loads of fiddley bits to loose in cleaning and putting it back together.:rolleyes: Looks good with it's predecessor the SPAS 12 on TV tho:)
    IMO the best combat/practical shotguns go as follows that I have used.
    Molot Veper 12,the advanced improved version of the Saiga 12
    Saiga 12 and Remmy 1100 /1187 battling for 2nd place.With Remmy coming ahead on accessories and being able to be customised easier.Saiga 12 for reliability
    Benelli M3 third place,fast shooter,but kicks hard with heavy loads
    4th the SPAS 15,5th SPAS 12.
    Should add thats the semis.Pumps,a toss between Remmy and Mossberg/Maverick
    Love the Garda logic ...again.:rolleyes: So I guess then HK and SIG are off the menu as well????

Advertisement