Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chorus in Limerick

Options
  • 16-08-2007 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I'm with IBB in Limerick (connected to Clarion). The connection used to be brilliant but has as of late disappointed me. It's great one minute, terrible the next.
    I want to get rid of the landline, so DSL has not been an option for me. Apparently Chorus will be available to me in the next couple of weeks. The question is should I switch? Reading forums like this makes me think they're all terrible (except Smart, which isn't available).

What's your experience with Chorus?

I want to use VoIP, so upload is an issue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Jelly 292

Terrible company, worst cust service next to clearwire in my exp :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It could be that ICE Communications have recently have put gear on the Clarion that likely uses the same frequencies as IBB ....I E ICE are interfering with IBB .

Bith ICE and IBB use Alvarion 5.x Ghz equipment. Ask IBB to check for this and get ICE to bugger off to another frequency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 singularity

That's interesting. I'll be sure to mention that next time I call. Usually they start talking about my router, contention ratios, and that they can't see any problems at their end and that they won't send anyone out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A year ago I was seeing 70k speeds and 1700ms ping 200m from the Clarion on RipWave. Though 9km away on a different sector using an MMDS mesh as dish on built in aerial I got about 150ms and 220kbps.

It depends on congestion in your sector.

The Ripwave says 3.5Ghz on the box, though the gear can come in 2.4Ghz or other versions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ripwave would be congested , nobody interferes with that except IBB themselves.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify, I'm on Breeze 2Mb.

What's the contention ratio for Chorus?

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought ntl and chorus was the same thing these days? According to http://www.broadband.gov.ie/List+all++Services they are listed as having different contention ratios, is this true?

Chorus Broadband Max/Plus 6000 512 0 €39.99
    ntl Broadband Max 6000 512 17:1 €39.99

Advertisement