Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battle of Wills, Me V's Expanding Foam

Options
  • 16-08-2007 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Just thought that I'd let you all know that I applied expanding foam around my latest DIY project, french doors into the back garden, last night.

For anybody who has never used expanding foam, it's crazy sh!t. :eek: Be well prepared, old cloting, masking tape everywhere, gloves (essential), and lots of patience.

I'm still unsure who won this battle: Expanding foam has been applied to the entire required area (1-0 to me). :D I have a coating on both my hands that is similar to superglue, an hour soaking in almost boiling water followed by scrubbing with every product under the sink (everything from flash, pledge furniture polish, mr muscle etc) hasn't helped. I have spent most of today picking it from my skin in tiny pieces. (1-1 easily).

Just a warning folks. If I encounter any further exciting products like this during my refurb, I'll be sure to post.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭arghh

I have learned the same lesson the hard way. Use gloves and save yourself alot of aggro

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

aha.........but there is a better way: it's called don't buy the cheap ****e you get in aerosols.

Hilti have a gun for it, which has a volume adjustment knob, and a trigger, and you can get as small as a narrow bead with it. bliss.

Also, wet your substrate first - use a trigger bottle (empty out the Mr Muscle first, though... :eek: ), and apply LESS than you think. It will cure harder, faster, and bulge less.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Well don't get the stuff on window frames or it will never ever come off as I have found to my cost!

There is a warning on the tin but it's in tiny lettering in the middle of reams of reams of useless information. So you never see it !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

It is possible to get foam dissolver,the local hardware shop near me sells it. I forget the name of it though.
    Reminds me of the time I saw a guy pour half a bucket of mixed polyurethane foam in liquid form down a casing on a ship, the stuff hit the bottom and started to react, suddenly the space in which the foam was expanding was too small for the foam volume and it started to squirt out any available crevice causing panic and great consternation amongst the watchers and advice givers.
    Some of them ended up having to shave their hair off to get rid of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Just a little funny story for you. My neighbour was throwing all his old rubbish into a skip and went to throw in an old tube of expanding foam. He threw it in and it fell out onto the ground and exploded all over his car! Shouldn't laugh because his car was only a year old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

In my apprentice years I got the stuff on my hands ,one of the lads suggested using newspaper to get it off.

4 days on and I was still reading the sunday news :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Reyman wrote:
    Well don't get the stuff on window frames or it will never ever come off as I have found to my cost!

There is a warning on the tin but it's in tiny lettering in the middle of reams of reams of us:eless information. So you never see it !

oh dont talk to me about the stuff but nail varish remover gets it off the window frame just make sure it has acetone in it

• Registered Users Posts: 8 shay42

I used this stuff to fill the inside of my sliding doors. It got very solid.. so solid that I can no longer open the doors because it stuck the lock.... any idea how to disolve it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

:)
    get something sharp and pointy and start poking Id say :)

I had some broken plasterboard that was very wobbly so I sprayed some foam behind it to stiffen it up...I then had nice bulging plasterboard :o

It really does expand an awful lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

Just a little funny story for you. My neighbour was throwing all his old rubbish into a skip and went to throw in an old tube of expanding foam. He threw it in and it fell out onto the ground and exploded all over his car! Shouldn't laugh because his car was only a year old.
    I think I read about that on Boards a year or so back! I used it to fill a crack outside. The stuff would often fall out of the crack and cascade down the wall until it found something else to stick to. Annoying stuff all right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

irishbird wrote:
    oh dont talk to me about the stuff but nail varish remover gets it off the window frame just make sure it has acetone in it

Nail varnish remover doesn't work !

Advertisement