Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD reform...

• 16-08-2007 1:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sitting in an office with a broken window that wont be fixed in Earlsfort Tce.

We're in a dead building and we've been forgotten about. There is no where for us to go in Belfield, and no will to sort it.
    Im trying to finish a thesis in this atmosphere.:(

A really great department from a research point of view is being marginalised and messed up. Some great researchers here, they're completely demoralised.

So sick of it.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I didn't realise there was anyone even left in Earlsfort Terrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Red Alert wrote:
    I didn't realise there was anyone even left in Earlsfort Terrace.

Neither does the UCD president...
    About 70 postgrads and lecturers still here. The building is dead and depressing, Its been completely cleared out except for our offices. Minimal cleaning staff so theres rubbish everywhere. My office is actually unsafe as the window is about 20feet high, if pane falls in it will be like shrapnel. No one cares....
    Supervisor lost electricity in his office a few weeks ago, now he has to run a cable in. They wont fix anything.
    An international audit was done on the department a few years ago, ranking it amongst the best in the world for research... it worked under the old system. An argument against change if you will... best left to the side and forgotten about.
    Someone suggested that we should move our desks and computers to the UCD main entrance and set up office there..

sorry about that rant... I reckon I need to just finish up and get out of here...

As a postgrad in general though, the new structures are frustrating as it is. There's a general over-formalization and over-PR'ing of just about everything. Then at the same time you have things like the OP's problems, and have things like the perennial mess the engineering building is in. Have you long left to go in there OP?

Been here 5 years in September... I have 3 papers submitted (1 published) and am finalising another before I stick them into book form and write a lit review.
    Going for the November deadline.
    Rumour is that we'll be here until Christmas, and we've no idea where the department will be after that.
    Dont fancy staying in an office with a broken window until Nov.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

My god, that's disgraceful!

According to services everyone's to be out of the terace by the new year. Good luck til then. I would personally be formally complaining to anyone with a functioning set of ears if I was in your place.

I was actually on a tour of the Terace today and I must say that you have my deepest sympathies. The whole building has a palpable feeling of sadness about it and I think all of us on the tour who had seen the place a few yers ago when it was full of students were moved my it's present state. It's a real shame.

How did you get a tour of it pretty monster? I'd be interested if there were any more.

You can just walk in Red Alert... no reason why not, but there really isnt much to see. Just wander around the corridoors if you wish.
    You're right Pretty Monster its just limbo land at the moment, and a shadow of its former self. I'm sure the NCH will do it justice when they take over fully, but atm its a bit run down and sad and empty...

Finally convinced services that my window was dangerous and they kindly fixed it with chipboard :D. They've assigned me a new office too.. but its dark, so I'm holding out until it gets colder.

They're not opening on Saturdays here anymore now either... great help to my thesis writing eh??? :( I wonder would I get a fees extension on that basis...

• Advertisement

Red Alert wrote:
    How did you get a tour of it pretty monster? I'd be interested if there were any more.

I got the tour as a ucd employee, so unless you want to get on the payrole...

But as fits said you can just walk into the place and I'm sure the guys on the services desk would be happy to tell you about the history of the place.
    fits wrote:
    They're not opening on Saturdays here anymore now either... great help to my thesis writing eh??? :( I wonder would I get a fees extension on that basis...

No word on when you'll be moved yet? I'm pretty sure all the Eng heads in the Terace are moving to the old Philips building as soon as it's finished.

No word on when you'll be moved yet? I'm pretty sure all the Eng heads in the Terace are moving to the old Philips building as soon as it's finished.

I had heard it was to Ag Science and Chemistry around Christmas time.
    Hopefully I wont be moving though, I plan on being finished by then.

Bloody freezing here today. This broken window is going to be cold.

Advertisement