Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Papers marked harshly

Options
  • 16-08-2007 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I know this happens every year, there's always sone or two subject that have a hard line taken on marking and generally requires large scale rechecks. I know for me it was history a few years ago, if i had relised it would have put me up about 20 points (not that it mattered).

Did anyone have experince with this this year? positive they did well in an exam, but had a much poorer result that expected? I've seen some results of people I know that surprised me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Yes history! No-one in my school got the A. I was so sure I'd have gotten it, and got a B3. Everyone was moaning about how bad the paper was for the topics of Bismarck and eh stuff like that, but appear to have gotten A's there..maybe it was marked slightly easier if you did those topics? I loved the paper, and in my school we did the standard topics of Rising-First Dáil etc, Hitler blah blah blah and American history..think they were marked harder.

Appealing that, but I do need to appeal subjects anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

im gonna appeal irish and english!!
    i got a higher grade in my mocks in both subjects and wrote little or nothing for either of them!! as really happy after both exams in june jus to completely shocked yesterday... i didnt fail them or anything but i do feel like i was robbed

a good few people in my year are gettin their english re-checked!!

English was marked pretty easy I thought. A1 percent must have shot up..I got one..very surprising altogether. I'm appealing Irish (I did better than a B2), French (it COULD go up), Biology C1 :mad: :mad:, History that B3, how frustrating, Geography, it might go to the A1. I do need to go up by 5 points (and possibly slightly more..) so I'm justified in appealing everything I can I think..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I got a B1 in History and was expecting a B3/C1.

Similarly, I got an A2 in English and expected a B3.

I thought the papers must have been marked fairly easily...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭*belle*

ya the english was a bit all over the place.....i know ppl who are getting it checked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

Hmm, I'm kind of unsure and don't want to commit to too much until I view my scripts but I reckon/hope that the marking in english and Chemistry was a bit harsh/bad. I expected an A1 in both, maybe an A2 in english and I got an A2 in chem and a B1 in English. I was kind of annoyed straightaway by this but my results were still really excellent so I didn't care so much but then I found loads of my friends who should have gotten As in english got Cs so...

Chemistry is really just me hoping...

I'll say it again though, we'll know when we view the scripts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I got a c2 in history, despite the fact I could only do 2 questions on the paper(document and Nazi's) I really think they need a more full proof way of marking the LC. Some correctors can be more leniant than others, which is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I got a B2 in English in the mocks and a D2 in the real thing!

Now i didn't think i had done amazingly but a D2, i was a whisker away from failing my Leaving Cert:eek:

Definately appealing it, really knocked down my points.

Otherwise i was abit disappointed with Geography, B2, got B1 Mocks, gonna take a look at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Otherwise i was abit disappointed with Geography, B2, got B1 Mocks, gonna take a look at it.

Yeah, I got a B2 in the mocks but dropped to a C3 in the real deal:mad:

Geography was marked crazy. SRPS totally blow.

• Advertisement

I don't think so, I went from a C1 to A2 and I had to dig deep for info on mining from 4 years ago! Geography was marked fairly, in my school anyway. It IS such a rigid marking system though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

I think Geography seems like something a fair few got less than expected. Maybe worth looking at if you need the points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭whatshername!!

I was really dissappointed with english. I havent got below a B2 all year and got a B1 in the mocks but i only got a C1 and i thought the exam went really well. I know a load of people who have the same problem and we are all getting them rechecked.

I need 20 points from somewhere, badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

Two years ago my kid sister got a D2 in English. She was devastated as she had always been a high B student. Our 1st cousin also the same year was gutted by her result in English. Both got re-checks both stayed at their mark.

English is a very peculiar subject to mark. One examiner might give all his papers high B's while another marking the exact same set of papers might give them all low C's. It's the way the cookie crumbles.

I have a two cousins who teach English at secondary school and they told them at the time they stood very little chance of being up-graded unless it was a calculation error in totting up the marks.

Other subjects I'd reckon are easier to go up in when re-checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

I was expecting a C in History and got an A2. Similarly after English, I expected a low B and got an A1. Apart from that, the marking seemed pretty sound to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I'd like to read the chief examiners report on English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Leeby

English was marked pretty easy I thought. A1 percent must have shot up..I got one..very surprising altogether. I'm appealing Irish (I did better than a B2), French (it COULD go up), Biology C1 :mad: :mad:, History that B3, how frustrating, Geography, it might go to the A1. I do need to go up by 5 points (and possibly slightly more..) so I'm justified in appealing everything I can I think..

Are you allowed to appeal everything? I thought there was a limit to the amount you could get rechecked to stop people from creating extra work by just sending everything, could also prove quite expensive if your marks don't change.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Evangelion

I think Geography seems like something a fair few got less than expected. Maybe worth looking at if you need the points.

This is exactly what i was expecting to hear. Geog is a easy B with no work hence my surprise.

You can appeal as many as you want as far as i know, but each one costs money, its refunded if your marks go up. Always view your scripts 1st preferably with a teacher, cos the exam borad wont admitt a mistake if they dont have to.

A good thing to bear in mind with the rechecks is you CAN'T go down marks, even if they ****ed up the 1st time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Extreme-LoopZ

I'm getting Irish appealed. I know I did better than a C2. Then again, maybe my oral went worse than I thought. I thought I did pretty good, but my examiner was really nice. Maye he was a sneaky bastard and acted all sweet but marked really hard....I've heard of that happening before.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I was told by my english teacher that around 35% of appeals of english results are successful. If they're marked as poorly as mock papers, I'm not suprised.

I got 15% higher than expected, so I will definetely not appeal:D

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Evangelion Im not sure you're entirely correct there. As far as I know when you appeal a subject it is marked by an appeal supervisor who recorrects it with the same marking scheme, thus he/she can judge that marks were awarded too generously first time round and can lower your grade if they felt it unwarranted. Therefore it is just as likely to go down as well as up.

Thats why I would warn anyone who is appealing subjects to DEFINATELY view it first WITH your teacher who can judge whether the mark will drop or not in a recorrection.

I certainly wouldn't go sending subjects back willy nilly under the assumption that they will either stay the same or go up. If that was the case then everyone would send everything back just in case.

So consider carefully guys when sending papers back, especially if you are in need of points, and dont go looking to scrape extra points if you dont really need them. I know a girl who was 5 points short of Law in UCC last year and she appealed her english, she got a nasty shock when her initial B1 paper returned a B3!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Can happen alright, one things for sure though, if one particular paper was marked hard, History for example, all History papers were.

Each examiner is given the same answer script and follow the same criteria for marking.
    Kinda like who wants to be a millioinaire in most cases.
    Question and 4 possible answers. For maths its something like
    1 right, full marks (10)
    2 attempt marks (3)
    3 Can follow what your saying but it's total bull**** (1) for keeping me entertained:D
    4 wrong (0) your an idiot

They're all looking for certain things in questions and ya either got it in your answer or ya don't. No point in moaning, If ya feel hard done by get a re-check.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

I felt very hard done by in Economics (C2), i was expecting a good B, as was a lot of other people in my class, yet the highest grade was a B2.

Geography seems to have been marked hard, a lot of people seem disappointed.

French was my only subject where i went down on my pre, i will have a look at it as I thought it was a very easy exam.

Is anybody going to look at all of their papers, i am thinking of, as i may be just 5 or 10 points off, or would it just be weird to view all my eight subjects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Thought history went well with a C1, was expecting a D there. However, French was a bitch for me as I was expecting a C of some sort and only got a D1. I was also nearly sure I got a distinction in LCVP, but not one person in our school got this.

I'm going to have a look at Maths, French, LCVP, Business and English. Desperate measures, I know, but it's desperate times for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

JC 2K3 wrote:
    I'd like to read the chief examiners report on English.

Theres nowhere where students get to see them is there? I'd like to have a look out of curiosity.

On the re-checking matter, I'm gonna get french re-checked. I know I did better than a D1. Its not that I need to get it done for points or anything, but just want to, cos I thought I at least got an honour in it. We shall see what happens though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

I thought my Irish was marked soooooooooo easy, got a C3 HL, I was, and still am, completely sure that I had failed, never mind an honour!

Got a B1 in english, was kind of hopin for the A. Was happy with everything though, might view english just for 'closure', I wouldn't appeal it as I got my points, I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Mushy wrote:
    Theres nowhere where students get to see them is there? I'd like to have a look out of curiosity.

Yeah, on examinations.ie. Won't be released until next year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Yes history! No-one in my school got the A. I was so sure I'd have gotten it, and got a B3. Everyone was moaning about how bad the paper was for the topics of Bismarck and eh stuff like that, but appear to have gotten A's there..maybe it was marked slightly easier if you did those topics? I loved the paper, and in my school we did the standard topics of Rising-First Dáil etc, Hitler blah blah blah and American history..think they were marked harder.

Appealing that, but I do need to appeal subjects anyway..

I would agree totally with that. I did the same topics as you, considered myself an A student...got a B2. The paper raped me though. No Treaty question? Come on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Bad advice on this thread - you CAN be docked marks in the re-check if the examiner feels that marks were given too generously.

And I appealed my English last year and went up a grade, so there is hope. It is a poorly marked paper every year.

Advertisement