Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Papers marked harshly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I got an A2 in biology but tbh it was the subject I felt I answered the best, so unless I made some stupid mistakes Im going to get it rechecked...

Got a B3 in English too, and I completely avoided cliched answers so I might get that checked out too...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There isn't a Chief Examiner's Report to be published for this year's examination in English.

The last one for English was 2005 - this year's reports (out in 2008) will be for:
    Home Economics , Applied Mathematics, Agricultural Economics, Classical Studies, Music, Geography and Hebrew Studies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

spurious wrote:
    There isn't a Chief Examiner's Report to be published for this year's examination in English.

The last one for English was 2005 - this year's reports (out in 2008) will be for:
    Home Economics , Applied Mathematics, Agricultural Economics, Classical Studies, Music, Geography and Hebrew Studies.

Why not the rest? I didn't do a single one of those subjects.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Everyone here seems to have done really well. I dont know anyone personally who actually failed and there are some real retards in my school.

I got 515 myself which was a health overkill for the 315 I needed for biotech in galway.

I got A1 in Bio, A2 in chem, the rest (eng, ger, accounting, maths) are all B's. I was a bit dissapointed with the B1 in maths. I know its a good results but i was hoping for an A of some form. Suppose i really did screw up ppr 2. Ah well, life goes on!

Well done to everyone!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Selphie wrote:
    Why not the rest? I didn't do a single one of those subjects.....

Because there are too many subjects to publish a Chief Examiner's Report for each subject each year. You can read reports for most other years and a wide variety of subjects on the SEC site http://www.examinations.ie

There is not a great deal of change year to year. Close reading of one can help you identify which options/questions have the lowest number of answerers and thus (in theory) should be easier to score higher marks on.

If a report recommends a change though, you can take it it will be acted on within a couple of years. The exam papers for next year are already well along in the setting stage, so it is more than likely that any hoohaa this year about a particular question or section would not be acted on until 2009.

If for example, a report was to say 'the kerflobbling section of the course was neglected in questions' you can be sure kerflobbling will be on papers in a major way (probably 2 years later).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Leeby wrote:
    Are you allowed to appeal everything? I thought there was a limit to the amount you could get rechecked to stop people from creating extra work by just sending everything, could also prove quite expensive if your marks don't change.

No I'm checking the 5 subjects with my teachers first when we get to see the scripts, then if I'm 1 or 2 percent off the next grade and the teacher thinks it will/should go up, off it goes. Atm, I need to go up by 5 points..but that could change..10 or 15 maybe. OR the first round offers could go down to 495 and I'm in without appealing :)

I am getting English rechecked..

I was shocked when I got a C2 in higher english. In my mock I got an A2.. although they dont really mean that much.. Throughout 5th and 6t year.. I recieved As and Bs.. it being one of my best subjects.. and then I get a C2..
    I came outta that exam thinking I did really well.. So I am super pissed..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

French has me completely baffled. I came out of the oral fairly happy, written paper was a breeze and aural was a piece of piss......And I got a C3.
    I'm convinced there's something wrong with my results. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a miscalculation in my marks.

However, I'm willing to accept that I may have earned that C3 but i would truly disheartened if my effort went towards a C3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

JBoyle4eva wrote:
    French has me completely baffled. I came out of the oral fairly happy, written paper was a breeze and aural was a piece of piss......And I got a C3.
    I'm convinced there's something wrong with my results. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a miscalculation in my marks.

However, I'm willing to accept that I may have earned that C3 but i would truly disheartened if my effort went towards a C3.
    Likewise. I was really happy with the oral, thought the aural was good and did reasonably well with the actual paper and still got a D1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Likewise. I was really happy with the oral, thought the aural was good and did reasonably well with the actual paper and still got a D1.

Obviously, we caught our examiners at a tense moment or it was the last day of checking & they wanted to rush our papers. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

fionated7 wrote:
    im gonna appeal irish and english!!
    i got a higher grade in my mocks in both subjects and wrote little or nothing for either of them!! as really happy after both exams in june jus to completely shocked yesterday... i didnt fail them or anything but i do feel like i was robbed

a good few people in my year are gettin their english re-checked!!

The same here, I went down two grades in Irish and English. I'm nearly convinced that I might get a recheck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Yes history! No-one in my school got the A.

Wrong, there was an A2.

Not sure if Irish was marked hard or if I should've worked harder :p don't really remember the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I got a B3 in English which was an improvement on my mocks. I spoke to my English teacher today and he said the class did extrememly well and we were the "slower" of the two honours classes, we kicked their asses...and this is his first year with an exam class. He's delighted and i'm delighted for me and for him.

Will be getting History and Accounting checked, hope to pull 10 points somewhere! I had a horrible experience with Acc during the mocks...when my teacher looked over it i gained 5% in the mock , i hope the same thing happened here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Yes history! No-one in my school got the A. I was so sure I'd have gotten it, and got a B3. Everyone was moaning about how bad the paper was for the topics of Bismarck and eh stuff like that, but appear to have gotten A's there..maybe it was marked slightly easier if you did those topics? I loved the paper, and in my school we did the standard topics of Rising-First Dáil etc, Hitler blah blah blah and American history..think they were marked harder.

Appealing that, but I do need to appeal subjects anyway..

Your gonna hate me for this but.. I did the same topics as you, and did a total of maybe a few nights study in the months coming up to the exam.. Was expecting to fail it to be honest.. 50/50 at best.. With maybe a D1 as my dream result...

Got an A2. Bit of a miracle tbh.. No idea how I did it.. There was an A1 in my class of 7 aswell, so I don't know about how it was marked.

Corruptedmorals, I think you're dead right to appeal History. After my exam, I was fully convinced a B3 would even be idealistic. I didnt know much about Sovietisation and stuff, and only wrote two pages (of waffle) for my last essay. The Fascism one I admit was probably okay, but even for the Anglo Irish relations, I left out from 1945 - 1948 because I just didn't know what happened then.
    And not to make you feel bad (I hope not anyway) but I got an A2, which I don't feel I deserve. So, you should definitely get it rechecked. I remember you being really happy after the actual exam, so I hope it goes well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Evangelion

Mackleton wrote:
    Evangelion Im not sure you're entirely correct there. As far as I know when you appeal a subject it is marked by an appeal supervisor who recorrects it with the same marking scheme, thus he/she can judge that marks were awarded too generously first time round and can lower your grade if they felt it unwarranted. Therefore it is just as likely to go down as well as up.

Thats why I would warn anyone who is appealing subjects to DEFINATELY view it first WITH your teacher who can judge whether the mark will drop or not in a recorrection.

I certainly wouldn't go sending subjects back willy nilly under the assumption that they will either stay the same or go up. If that was the case then everyone would send everything back just in case.

So consider carefully guys when sending papers back, especially if you are in need of points, and dont go looking to scrape extra points if you dont really need them. I know a girl who was 5 points short of Law in UCC last year and she appealed her english, she got a nasty shock when her initial B1 paper returned a B3!!

Seems I am wrong, it's been a few years since I did mine, or maybe I'm confused with college.

Anyway, the chances of a downgrade is unlikely. It is only for a mistake in the counting up of marks or marks given outside the marking scheme.
    Also only a Chief examiner can deduct marks where they are thought undeserved.

"In what circumstances can a downgrade occur?
    A downgrade could result automatically if a candidate loses sufficient marks for any
    of the following factual/technical reasons:-
    (a) there is a clear error in the summation of marks, incorrect inclusion of marks,
    (e.g., credit given for a question or part of a question that should have been
    disallowed), and/or,
    (b) the candidate has been awarded marks for an answer that is clearly and
    unambiguously not in accordance with the marking scheme.
    In addition, a Chief Examiner can recommend a downgrade where the reduction in
    marks derives from an error of judgement by the examiner (as distinct from (a) and
    (b) above). In such circumstances a downgrade would not normally occur where there
    is a marginal difference. In other words, a revised lower mark is only reckoned where
    the Chief Examiner considers it to be in line with what would be awarded by the
    generality of examiners."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

.......... or would it just be weird to view all my eight subjects
    not at all, imo. I'm looking at ALL NINE of my subjects when i got 4 A1s:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 drunknmunky

im getting english and irish rechecked for sure...though i wasnt happy with my oral i got an A2 in the mocks and aB2 in the leavin.similarly in english i got a B1 in english in mocks and B3 in the real.Hoping to go up maybe ten points.
    I tok up biology in september of this year and got a B1 so i was pretty ahppy with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 drunknmunky

not at all, imo. I'm looking at ALL NINE of my subjects when i got 4 A1s

are you joking??why the hell would you recheck 4 papers which are A1s.!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

He's just going to view them, it's free after all.

Like, even if I'd gotten an A1 in English I'd view it out of curiousity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

are you joking??why the hell would you recheck 4 papers which are A1s.!!!

I never said i wanted to RECHECK them, just wanna go in and have a LOOK at them and see where i lost/gained marks and to see how the marking schemes were applied.

Rozabeez wrote:
    Wrong, there was an A2.

Not sure if Irish was marked hard or if I should've worked harder :p don't really remember the paper.

Ah, never heard that. I wanna look at my English, but I didn't tick it on the recheck form thing, can I do it on the internet..?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I was expectingan A2 in English and got a B1. i got a D2 in French which I'm definately appealing, as I've never gotten a D in it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I got an A2 in History, rather shocked, though I had bottled it!

I'm appealing Maths, but I may ask for the form back and try for English aswell, if I'm allowed! :(

Someone inform me and Corrupted, we need to know about adjusting forms! :p

Nah you can go up to your school and change the form before Tuesday, that's the deadline, but I already went up to my school later on Wednesday and changed my form from 3 to 5..I won't bother doing it if it can't be done on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

I might appeal my A2 in Economics.....cause I know I deserved an A1....and I desperately want one.....even though I have no need for the extra 10 points it'll give me!

Please check your paper first. Can't help feeling appeal results would be back faster if the people who didn't need to appeal eh..didn't.

Nah you can go up to your school and change the form before Tuesday, that's the deadline, but I already went up to my school later on Wednesday and changed my form from 3 to 5..I won't bother doing it if it can't be done on the internet.

Ring the school and ask them. My friend rang up the other day. She only ticked home ec on the form, but asked the secretary if she could also view english and art. Voila, the secretary got the teacher in charge to change the form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Agri_trust

Getting my English and Art rechecked. I got a B3 in the mocks in English and it went down do a D1, I suppose thats what I get for writing an essay on anarchists and the G8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

Agri_trust wrote:
    Getting my English and Art rechecked. I got a B3 in the mocks in English and it went down do a D1, I suppose thats what I get for writing an essay on anarchists and the G8.

I am in the same boat!! I went from a B2 to a D2. My English teacher rang 4 or 5 students from the class though making sure we got re-checks because she knew there was something a miss when the village idiot in our class got an A2!! Our correcter must have been haveing a bad day. Well i hope..:p

Advertisement