Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Papers marked harshly

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I got a B3 in higher English after expecting some sort of D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Unless you know your mocks are being set and corrected by experienced SEC correctors, they are pretty useless as an indication of how you'll do. Your homework and old exam paper questions are a much better indicator.

The companies that supply some schools with mock papers are a business, nothing less - once the money comes in with the order they're happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 curlysue18

JBoyle4eva wrote:
    French has me completely baffled. I came out of the oral fairly happy, written paper was a breeze and aural was a piece of piss......And I got a C3.
    I'm convinced there's something wrong with my results. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a miscalculation in my marks.

However, I'm willing to accept that I may have earned that C3 but i would truly disheartened if my effort went towards a C3.

I totally agree, i thought all my french exams - aural oral and written - went amazingly well, and then i open my results to find i only got a C1. i earned enough points for my first choice so i won't be appealing it - but i do feel like i was ripped off.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Just to píss you all off, I got a B2 in French, barely opened a book all year, thought I did an average oral and thought the aural went very badly :D

(Though, admittedly, I thought I did a very good written paper)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

One quick point, you CAN go down on rechecks, somebody said you can't. You can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

And as Spurious said, the Mocks are not a good indicator unless they were marked by experienced teachers. A huge percentage of the papers were marked by college graduates who have never taught this year as the money has not gone up & teachers wouldn't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 mise19

Geography was marked crazy. SRPS totally blow.

omg i agree!! i always got A1s in geography, got a B1 in the actual thing. was really disappointed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 mise19

I would agree totally with that. I did the same topics as you, considered myself an A student...got a B2. The paper raped me though. No Treaty question? Come on!

i got an A1..thought the paper was very fair and if you looked at the 2006 paper at all, you would've been well prepared

• Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Wow so many people rechecking English...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

mise19 wrote:
    i got an A1..thought the paper was very fair and if you looked at the 2006 paper at all, you would've been well prepared

But who expects the second History paper to copy the first? I was prepared, I loved the paper, I had my essays timed perfectly and I was very happy with them, liked the documents questions too, and my research topic was pretty much perfect....B3. I thought the paper was more than fair, but wow...appealing. I need to though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

but you don't expect the paper to be the same as the year before...that's what happened to us

Advertisement