Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do I wear to a wedding?

• 16-08-2007 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks and I don't want to wear a suit. I'm fairly young. I was just thinking nice casual with a nice shirt jumper, pair of jeans or combats and van's shoes?

What dya reckon? Will this be alright?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

batman suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭mcauley

Hi,
    I was just thinking combats and van's shoes?

What dya reckon? Will this be alright?

Combats and Vans?! No. Definitely Not.

Whats fairly young?

This should be posted in Fashion and Appearance not PI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

jeans will be grand. if ur THAT young then u could almost just wear ur standard nightclub clothes to it. im 24 and wouild do that coz i didnt have a proper suit. since i have a proper suit now, i'd wear it. the ladies dig it anyway! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 snb

you can't wear jeans to a wedding !

snb wrote:
    you can't wear jeans to a wedding !

I agree!!

Or Combats & Vans for that matter.

Unless the wedding is Tony Hawk's wedding or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're going to the ceremony and the dinner, you stump up for a suit. Even if you're 10.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Kilt ftw :D

xzanti wrote:
    Kilt ftw

Seconded! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I don't know the people getting married. I was just invited along by someone. I'm 22 but I'm don't do the suit thing really. I just like to wear clothes that make me feel comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Electric

You can't wear jeans and vans to a wedding. Everyone else will be dressed up and even though they may be good jeans and new vans you will still look like a slob!

If you don't feel like the shirt and tie thing. How bout getting a fairly casual shirt (preferably one that you would wear again) a blazer or non-suit jacket and some casual trousers. It wouldn't be as constricting as a suit but still appropriately dressy for a wedding?

• Advertisement

My recommendation would simply be:

Shirt - no tie, trousers and shoes.

Dont wear jeans. You'll look silly.

You may not feel "comfortable" wearing these type of clothes, but its one day and you'll look a hell of a lot smarter in these than any jeans or combats

BTW - At 22, you shouldnt even consider combats or jeans to a wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

Second mcauleys post...you would look silly and childish in a pair of jeans and would prob not feel that comfortable once you got there and everyone else is dressed up. I thought you were 13/14 when you said you were young and considering wearing jeans!!!

Edit....just re-read that - kinda came out a bit harsh - It's difficult to know what to wear...sure half the threads in here here at the moment are advice on what to wear to weddings. However I still suggest a smart shirt, trousers and smart shoes.

boffin wrote:
    I thought you were 13/14 when you said you were young and considering wearing jeans!!!

Same here!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

boffin wrote:
    Second mcauleys post...you would look silly and childish in a pair of jeans and would prob not feel that comfortable once you got there and everyone else is dressed up. QUOTE]

Exactly.. not to mention the fact that the bride and groom may be offended that you didn't make the effort to look smart..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I don't know the people getting married. I was just invited along by someone. I'm 22 but I'm don't do the suit thing really. I just like to wear clothes that make me feel comfortable.

We all like to wear clothes that make us feel comfortable. If you turn up without a suit will your date feel comfortable. If not then let her know your plans, she might prefer to ask somebody else.

We all like to wear clothes that make us feel comfortable. If you turn up without a suit will your date feel comfortable. If not then let her know your plans, she might prefer to ask somebody else.

Harsh ! :D

Ah but in all seriousness, I am faced with this a fair bit (work in a suit/formalwear shop). Most guys dont really know what to wear when it comes to weddings.

Dont go casual would be my advice. Most people who have been to more than 1 wedding will always opt for a suit. Mainly cos they see every other guy in them.

Just go for decent shirt and trousers. Thats relaxed but not casual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Personly, it you don't want a suit then you don't have to but you have got to look polished and I would suggest, good trousers, leather shoes, a shirt tucked in and a tie. If you're going to be really uncomfortable then ditch the tie but you will look out of place in casuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Wear good trousers (like the one's you're wear if you work in an office), a shirt, and good leather shoes. No tie is needed. It's a wedding - so make a bit of effort! You should dress like you're going to meet a client.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was at a wedding last weekend where there were a few male guests wearing horrible Ben-Sherman type shirts (only cheaper) and jeans. They stood out like a sore thumb. If it had been my wedding, I could have kicked them out (I'm a bit strict :D)

Make an effort. You don't have to do the suit thing, but buy a pair of pants (Penneys and Dunnes won't break the bank) and a nice shirt and tie. After the reception, you can pop the tie in your pocket, unbutton the collar and rollup your sleeves and relax. But you will have made the effort and it will be noticed by the bride and groom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Hi,
    I'm going to a wedding in a few weeks and I don't want to wear a suit. I'm fairly young. I was just thinking nice casual with a nice shirt jumper, pair of jeans or combats and van's shoes?

DO NOT wear jeans,vans etc to a wedding,you will stand out like a sore thumb and i guarantee you will end up feeling really out of place too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

dudara wrote:
    They stood out like a sore thumb. If it had been my wedding, I could have kicked them out (I'm a bit strict :D)

Door security at weddings ftw!

And I would completely recommend slacks, shoes avec an open necked shirt.

Advertisement