Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

current census figures

Options
  • 16-08-2007 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭

According to the current census figures:

"One in five homes had access to broadband, with Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown highest with just under 40% and Leitrim lowest at 7.8%. Only four out of ten homes in Limerick City had internet access, the lowest in the state."

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

only about 3 exchanges in all of Leitrim have BB and Leitrim also has the highest number of empty houses in the country at 30% so I dunno if its inhabited houses they counted .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Here is BETTER, the BB penetration is as a % of houses with a computer I think,

http://www.cso.ie/census/census2006results/Volume_6/Volume%206%20Housing%202006.pdf

pages 76 77 and 78 have the data

Note that my prediction on PC penetration ( made here on this Board just before the census ) was spot on .

I said THE census would show 56% , IT WAS 56.7% ( table 29 page 76)

What else did I say
    The census will reveal that BB takeup is highest in Dublin and Galway, not because PC penetration is equally higher or because of income but simply because the choice is there.

Right again
    There will be a noticable gap between them and Cork Drogheda Dundalk Limerick, not because of PC penetration but because of a lack of access method ...particularly cable BB ... in those towns .

Right again save that Cork did a tad better and Limerick a tad worse.
    BB penetration will show around 15-17% of households in those higher cities, 10% in the others.

who needs a census when you have a Sponge !
    PC penetration will show at about 56% of households nationally.

Genius, ****ing genius !

Next time people should stop listening to fat eircom execs and dopes like the then comms minister and simply follow the Sponge !

oh and
    No question was asked about the ethernet enabled PS2 which is not a PC .

These are missing as I feared they were, a few 1000 I would think .

stats attached .

more pcs and more bb in Dublin and Galway .

reason, more choice.

No Occupied Homes in K % with Pc % Occupied homes with PC and with BB % ALL occupied homes with BB not PC dsl and cable and wireless apr 06?
    Dublin City Dun L and S and Fingal 420 61% 53% 32% dsl and cable and wireless
    Galway 25 58% 55% 31% dsl and cable and wireless
    Cork 44 48% 46% 22% dsl and wireless
    Limerick 20 45% 43% 19% dsl and wireless
    Waterford 17 48% 54% 27% dsl and cable and wireless

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Lies, damned lies, and.....

Census does put some of the number in prespective, and maybe is more honest. Latest ComReg data -

http://www.comreg.ie/publications/irish_communications_market__quarterly_key_data_-_june_2007__raw_data.597.102653.p.html

says there are 602,000 BB subs, (including business....) So, 50% of the BB links were/are in private dwellings in 2006, do we believe that?

Bye, Barry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

The CSO stats can be quite confusing though.

I would call the stats for Cork City into question as the city is defined rather strangely. The current city boundry almost completely excludes all of the new (post 1950s) suburbs. E.g. it excludes much of the western suburbs, most of Douglas and some of the northern suburbs.

The result is that you have the central business district, a few old and very expensive areas (pre 1950s suburbs) and a disproportionately large number of council estates and relatively poorer areas due to the large volume of public housing handled by the city council as opposed to the county council.

I suspect that the Limerick statistic is similarly questionable due to the way the city's boundries are worked out.

I would also think that the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown statistics are similarly misleading as it's predominantly a wealthy part of South Co. Dublin again, excluding poorer areas. Of course it will have higher DSL uptake rates.
    It's nearly like just looking at one relatively wealthy suburb of Cork e.g. taking say Douglas exclusively. I am sure that the DSL and broadband usage rates would be higher than the national average.

The CSO really needs to define the Cork, Dublin, Galway and Limerick metropolitan areas as they're more useful for statistical analysis and don't necessarily follow the City Council / County Council dividing lines. The failure to do so makes the statistics useless for analysing urban Ireland and also create highly misleading results for cities with tight limits e.g. the last census shows Cork City's population as falling which couldn't be further from the truth. It's simply a case of no new housing development and ageing population in the city centre area. The suburban area has grown enormously.

All they're showing there is socio economic divides and not giving a true picture of broadband uptake at all.

I would reckon the Dublin City statistic is quite reflective of the other urban areas too as it encompasses a fairly wide range of areas + socioeconomic groups. But, even so it's a pathetic uptake level for a developed western country. We're 5+ years behind the rest of the EU when it comes to broadband!

can you tell me the district electoral divisions you mean Solair and I will check them

Advertisement