Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This has GOT to stop

Options
  • 16-08-2007 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

This was front page in my local paper last Tuesday....this poor wee thing was extremely lucky.

Thrown from a cliff with a turf bag full of stones tied around her neck. By some miracle, she managed to get on to the rock. Stood there for what must have been hours as she was dry and her paws were swollen. Walkers on a guided walk of the area spotted her and the guide absailed down the side of the cliff to rescue her. She's now in a good home in Belfast....

How could someone do this to an animal???? Even when pups are drowned i find it unacceptable.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Unfortunately it has been happening for years (at least where I come from). How someone could do it? I can't answer that. Glad the dog found a new home and hopefully will live a happy one from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Poor dog.

We have to take a long term view of this... The only answer is education. Organisations such as Dogs Trust are trying to get into the schools, and influence people at a young age... I just dont know why people think its acceptable to treat any animal like that. Its mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Education, proper facilities and the means to deal with unwanted animals is what needs to be done. And unfortunately like everythin else here in the 'backa**' of Ireland they've some how managed to forget about us again

I don't even know the local animal warden number or if there even is one!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

aoife2k wrote:
    And unfortunately like everythin else here in the 'backa**' of Ireland they've some how managed to forget about us again

How do you mean they forgot about you?

This problem isnt confined to the backa4se of Ireland either... the cities are just as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

People really have problems! It would have been a slow and terrifying death for the poor dog - and the experience must have been horrifying for it. No excuses (for people who do these cruel acts) for not knowing about a dog warden, ring 11850 and they'll find one in your area.

• Advertisement

fits wrote:
    How do you mean they forgot about you?

Ok so i got a bit dramatic about the whole thing...main point of my posting is that people need to be educated about animals and prevention of cruelty to animals.
    No excuses (for people who do these cruel acts) for not knowing about a dog warden, ring 11850 and they'll find one in your area.
    I understand what your saying but I really think they need to advertise their services and presence more, we need to let people know that flinging innocent animals off cliffs is sooo wrong and there are people and services out there to take the burden off their hands if they can't manage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Now that has me lost for words.

OP, what paper was that taken from please, I'd like to see the full story and credit the newspaper for carrying the story.

OP I posted your story over on www.dogsindistress.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

It can happen quite close to the capital city. I was riding my horse in the lead mines near Carrickmines, Co Dublin and my horse spooked at a plastic bin bag. i got off my horse to find a litter of puppies in the tied black bin bag three were dead and two just about hanging in. i took them and found them homes. Basically it can happen next door and not just the back and beyonds.

It is all about education, if you have any dog no matter whether its a bitch or dog and unless you do not want to breed should get the job done.

If you find abandoned dog try contacting the rescue shelters as pounds put animals down after five days if they are not taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

THANK GOD someone rescued her, the poor little pet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

That makes me so angry

• Advertisement

It was posted on the front of the Donegal Democrat last Tuesday...www.donegaldemocrat.com (editorial@donegaldemocrat.com)

I'm glad it got front page because people have to see that these things are happening in their area. Thankfully this story has a happy ending

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Animals_only

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    How could they do it??? Seriously I am asking-I just couldn't.DO THEY HAVE HEARTS?!?! ************************************************

Hi guys!

I just wanted to give you all an update on that story about the dog that was rescued.

The man who scaled down the cliff to rescue her recieved an award for it....I read it briefly in the paper today but when I get my hands on the article I'll fill you in on the story. I was glad to see he got some recognition for his bravery and kind heartedness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Nice ending...I see the dog has been rehoused in Belfast? Hopefully she is been treated well.

I reckon she's having a ball in Belfast :D

Advertisement