Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delay in closing

Options
  • 16-08-2007 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Bought a house about 2 months ago, the closing date was last week but they did not agree to close refused on the day as they had not got the house cleared out, we have our mortage drawn down & are paying for a house we havent got & they are making no effort to clear the house, are we able to claim something from them for the delay or what is the best way to approach the suitation????

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Are you sure the mortgage is drawn down? Normally the solicitors would co-ordinate all that with the bank, so that the money would not be drawn down until the sale closed. Otherwise the bank has released money against which it does not have security (i.e. deeds), which they really really really wouldn't like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dawna

Yea I am sure got it checked there is allready nearly €300 interest added after a week, they agreed to close so we drew down the money the day before the due date its now sitting in our solictors client account making him a tidy few quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Bummer. I'd say it would be the solicitor you'd have to chase then.... not much chance there. Hope the vendors move out asap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

dawna wrote:
    Yea I am sure got it checked there is allready nearly €300 interest added after a week, they agreed to close so we drew down the money the day before the due date its now sitting in our solictors client account making him a tidy few quid

Had the same problem. Solicitor returned the money and all charges were refunded. Opened up another bag of worm (solicitor and bank are ****ing idiots)

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

You can contact your solicitor and get him to force them to pick a day to close. Otherwise they could be there for the next two months.

If they are unwilling to do this then threaten to walk away from the sale and have the contract rescinded.

My uncle did this the vendors kept delaying and he got fed up so walked away from the sale, returned the mortgage money and sued them for the money they cost him in fees

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dawna

House is empty for 18 months there is just some crappy old furniture & rubbish
    in it they have had over 21/2 months to clear it out they are just dragging their heels

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

Then tell them to hire a skip pronto or you're walking away!

Simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 34 moloneyg

Hi all,

If you walk away then the vendor keeps the deposit, so whats the benefit in that???

Is there nothing that can be done to force the sale through??? based upon missing the signing date?

Gerry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭mel123

moloneyg wrote:
    Hi all,

If you walk away then the vendor keeps the deposit, so whats the benefit in that???

Gerry

I dont think this is technically right because the contract would have specified a closing date, and you signed it (as the seller), so therefore you are the one breaking the contract. If it was that easy then it would be easy money to be made?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jubi lee

if builders can charge interest if you don't close in time then it might be worth you asking your solicitor to see if he can charge them interest for each day they delay the move.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

jubi lee wrote:
    if builders can charge interest if you don't close in time then it might be worth you asking your solicitor to see if he can charge them interest for each day they delay the move.

You can and I've done it but you get very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Purchaser's can't charge interest.
    tell your solicitor to return the loan cheque to the bank or account to you for interest s/he earns on it.

Advertisement