Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specialized Tri-Cross

Options
  • 16-08-2007 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Got myself a Specialized Tri-Cross at the start of the year and just wondering if anyone else rides one of these and what they thought of it.

Personally I am having a problem with the front brake. When I apply the front brake the whole front end of the bike shudders quite violently. Cycleways are sorting this out for me and after speaking to Specialized themselves who in turn spoke to Specialized USA, have ordered a slightly different braking system. Once fitted this will hopefully solve the problem.

I currently commute about 140km each week (about a 28km round trip each day) and (other than the brake problem) find the bike a very comfortable ride and a pleasure to be out and about on, if it is just to commute. I use Armadillo tyres and have found them great for this type of ride - very long lasting.

I am thinking of doing a few leisure rides in the hills/mountains and wondered what other users thought of the bike for this sort of ride.

Cheers

Millar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭EH

Hi Miller
    I got a tri-cross last year and have had no problems with it. I had no issues with the brakes, could the problem be something to do with the "Speed Zertz" vibration-damping inserts on the forks?
    I don't commute on the bike but ride it in the Dublin and Wicklow mountains or around Kilkenny at the weekends. I brought the bike because I wanted something that was going to be tough and handle the crap roads without buckling. The thicker tyres are probably slower than proper thin racer tyres but its my first "racer" after riding Mountain bikes for 12 years so it feels really fast. I find the top gear abit limiting and would like a higher top gear for coming down the mountains. Is yours a triple chainring version? I see according to the spec. the gearing looks better?
    Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 milju2001

thanks for the reply

when you say you ride it in the mountains i assume you mean just on the roads rather than off road. i am told it is a good cross-country bike but i wouldn't trust somthing so 'thin' going cross-country. i guess they mean riding across the grass.

i have armadillo tyres on it. thet are thin and slick and have an extra 'thickness' to them which makes them very hard wearing and pretty much completely puncture resistant.

i got this from cycleways regarding he brake shuddering...

"I have spoken to Specialized who have in turn spoken to Specialized USA. It seems they have had a lot of success with a V-brake. These normally come on Mountain bikes as they are not compatible (on their own) with road brake levers. However, a new component (well not that new) has been made that will let us use the v-brake with your road brake levers. The V-brake gives better modulation (more controlled braking) hence not being so aggressive. I'm told this dramatically reduces the shuddering you are experiencing."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 milju2001

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭EH

Yea, I cycle it on the roads and the odd fire road (top of 3 rock or around Hell Fire Club) I think the design is based around a cyclo-cross bike. The flattened top tube makes carrying easier and the cantilever brakes give the option of more off road tyres.
    I hope the replacement brake fixes your problem, I'd say commuting with a dodgy front brake is no fun!
    Eoin

Advertisement