Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

remove heavy bracket from a wall

Options
  • 16-08-2007 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

just moved into 1950s house - already extended etc. there's a really solid bracket screwed half way up the bedroom wall (old portable TV stand). the wall is an outside wall so not plasterboard. I got one screw out (because it had snapped). I'm guessing the remaining three are each about 12cm long. the screws are flush with the bracket and the bracket is about 1cm deep and 30 cm long. I have tried removing the other three screws but cannot budge them at all. They are totally solid.

Any suggestions please?

Someone mentioned getting a tool that works nearly like a cork screw but the builders suppliers I called into hadn't a notion what I was on about.

this tv bracket is total eyesore!!! please help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

just drill into them then the head will come away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 oh

thanks for the quick response. how do I get rid of the stubs that will be left so they will be flush with the wall?

id just fill over them or if you really want to get the screw out, you could also try a wrench tightened onto the handle your longest screwdriver to give you more torque. spray it with wd-40 or similar to help loosen it a bit if you go that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 oh

i get you now. i thought drilling would just remove the heads and leave the stubs sitting out but I should be able to drill them back into the wall
    and then bring out the pollyfilla. great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

oh wrote:

Someone mentioned getting a tool that works nearly like a cork screw but the builders suppliers I called into hadn't a notion what I was on about.

They were probably referring to this this. But don't think it will solve your problem thou. Go with Johnny's idea of drilling it out.

• Advertisement

no problem. glad to help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Try heating with a hairdryer before attempting to remove screws, ensure you use the right size screwdriver that frimaly grips screwhead, too small and you'll risk damaging it and the only solution then will be to drill.

Sometimes WD40 can also be useful especially if there's evidence of corrosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Use a screw driver that has a striking surface on the handle .Place tip in screw slot and whack it a couple of sharp blows with a decent hammer 2lb.Usually the shock wave will give you enough to break the corrosion.
    Failing that drill the head off and drive the screw into the wall with a punch there will be enough clearance behind the screw from the previously drilled hole.The screw is probably too small to be able to use a screw extractor.
    You can get the kits in proper tool shops, electrical rewind shops etc .the diy versions are not up to much.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

yeah, use the biggest screwdriver you can
    you get *much* more power with a bigger/longer screwdriver.
    Im guessing the screws are poxy flatheads?

Advertisement