Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics

Options
  • 16-08-2007 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

Im presently going into 5th year and I have always thought of taking up economics as an extra subject after school because from what I have heard it is a short course and with work, you will be deservedly rewarded. My school doesnt do the subject becuase it already has Accounting and Business.

I have rang the following schools which do the subject:

Bruce College,
    Dean College (ABC Tuition Centre),
    Hewitt College,
    Cork Leaving Cert College (CLC),
    Cork College of Commerce

and was wondering does anybody know of any other school in the Cork City region that do it as an extra subject outside of school hours. I didnt post this thread in the leaving cert forum as the majority of people on that forum are not from Cork and would have no knoweledge of other schools that do it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

James.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i dont know of any other schools that do leaving cert subjects outside of school hours. I know deerpark do take on repeat leaving cert students in the daytime but you could always ring them on the offchance they do some of hte subjects extracurricularly.

They offered it in my school and my friends who did it found it to be tough if you dont keep on top of it, one of htem got grinds w/ a good teacher, i can get his/her number if you need it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

College of comm is good. The teacher (Maria Hurley last time I checked) was very good, the best I had of three economics teachers. There were two people who were doing it as an extra subject outside of their own school and as far as I know they both got honours.

She is a bitch but knows her stuff and makes you work.

Dunno about the other schools. I repeated in the college of comm and 6 of the 7 teachers I had were excellent (I had 6 years of private education previous to repeating) with the 7th being bloody retarded.

Economics is a great subject. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Froot wrote:
    College of comm is good. The teacher (Maria Hurley last time I checked) was very good, the best I had of three economics teachers. There were two people who were doing it as an extra subject outside of their own school and as far as I know they both got honours.

She is a bitch but knows her stuff and makes you work.

Dunno about the other schools. I repeated in the college of comm and 6 of the 7 teachers I had were excellent (I had 6 years of private education previous to repeating) with the 7th being bloody retarded.

Economics is a great subject. Best of luck.

Is it a 2 year course in College of commerce or is it a 1 year course you do in 6th year?

If I do decide to do it in the college of commerce how do I apply to do it as an extra subject because the only leaving cert course that the college offers is the repeat leaving cert course? I know you said that 2 people ddi it as an extra subject outside of school but the girls in the office when I rang up to enquire about the course werent too sure. They sounded a bit dim to put it in plainer english:rolleyes: .

Thanks a lot for your info.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Highly recommend Economics in C.L.C. brilliant teacher. I didn't know they did it as an extra subject outside school hours though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Apparently, plunkett tutorial centre do economics as an extra subject but you have to do it in hewitt college:rolleyes: :rolleyes: . I rang hewitt college already!!!!! Handy way of getting booking commission I suppose:D .

• Advertisement
Advertisement