Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this a wireless transmitter or Receiver?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

What makes you think its only a transmitter. I've never used the product but everything points to it being a transceiver as in transmitter/receiver combination. In fact its hard to see how it would work other wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Sorry, I have very little experience with these things and I prefer to make sure before I buy :).

So how do these work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

this is a USB wireless adapter, meaning it will communicate (transmit and receive) to another computer which is wireless enabled or to a wireless access point/wireless router.

A bit like having a "wireless"wire between the computer/laptop and a wireless access point. much like a cordless phone and the base unit.

What I was trying to ask (and I did quite poorly) was,

If I plug this into my pc with an active internet connection, will this be able to send a wireless signal that my xbox 360 and wii could pick up and use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

No , or if it did it would do so very poorly , you need a wireless router or a wireless enabled broadband modem for that !

Various options here , some for as little as 50 euro , you need to determine which type to buy depending on what type of broadband service you have.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?bn=10282

the device you linked too is a wireless nic or network interface card / device , it is designed to communicate with an access point , which is what a router or wireless broadband modem is , they cannot act as access points themselves.

• Advertisement

mathias wrote:
    No , or if it did it would do so very poorly , you need a wireless router or a wireless enabled broadband modem for that !

Various options here , some for as little as 50 euro , you need to determine which type to buy depending on what type of broadband service you have.

the device you linked too is a wireless nic or network interface card / device , it is designed to communicate with an access point , which is what a router or wireless broadband modem is , they cannot act as access points themselves.

That settles that, thank you!

mathias wrote:

Can you not use those devices in an ad hoc network? Certainly do it with a normal wireless adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

You could set up an ad-hoc network and use internet connection sharing to share the internet connection that the host pc has. But I'm not sure how well devices like the xbox and wii would work with that sort of setup as opposed to a clean setup that a router would give you.

You'd need two , one for each PC , both pc's would have to be on to connect to the net , it wouldnt be anywhere near as stable or as useful as a router and it would need to be set up every time probably.

In short , a router is whats needed , ad hoc is useful for once off connections , not very good for a steady setup.

mathias wrote:
    You'd need two , one for each PC , both pc's would have to be on to connect to the net , it wouldnt be anywhere near as stable or as useful as a router and it would need to be set up every time probably.

In short , a router is whats needed , ad hoc is useful for once off connections , not very good for a steady setup.

If you had read what yer man said, he's not looking to connect two computers.

• Advertisement

If you had read what yer man said, he's not looking to connect two computers.

I read what he had in mind thank you very much !

He asked if such a device would connect to a usb interfaced router , the answer is no ! Thats clear enough ! The only reason you'd want to do that is to get access to what the router is connected too , another computer or the net , is that not obvious to you ?

It he wants to connect to the other pc with these he would need two , in ad hoc mode , thats not a good solution , a wireless router is better , that would allow any wireless enabled device in the house to connect to the net /or whatever ,without all devices being on.

mathias wrote:
    I read what he had in mind thank you very much !

He asked if such a device would connect to a usb interfaced router , the answer is no ! Thats clear enough !

He never mentioned the word router once. But leaving aside that fact, the device will connect to a 'usb interfaced' router. I think what you're trying to say is that the device is basically stupid and will not act as a router, it will conenct to one fine.
    It he wants to connect to the other pc with these he would need two , in ad hoc mode , thats not a good solution , a wireless router is better , that would allow any wireless enabled device in the house to connect to the net without all devices being on.

Well he makes no mention of "other pc" just the pc and the wii and X box. You are presuming alot. If I had to guess I'd imagine he has a USB modemn conenct to a pc and he wants to share the internet connection with his wii and X-Box, ad hoc network will do this for him no problem. Is a router a better solution yes, but its far more then what the OP asked for, despite your clear ability to read minds.

He never mentioned the word router once

Read the fourth sentence of the first post ! :rolleyes: y, know , where it says , " would this pick up my usb interfaced router "

Specsavers are doing some great deals at the moment ! I cant read minds , but I can read well enough !

Behave children or I'll ban.

mathias wrote:
    Read the fourth sentence of the first post ! :rolleyes: y, know , where it says , " would this pick up my usb interfaced router "

The OP never ever ever mentioned the word router, except that first time I missed. I suggest you reread the thread.

Yes he did, in his very first post. Now move on, get back on topic or I'm banning. Last warning.

Advertisement