Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rare eagle reintroduced to Ireland

Options
  • 16-08-2007 4:28pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭

An eagle that disappeared from Ireland more than 100 years ago took flight again today as part of a scheme to reintroduce native birds of prey to the country.

The Environment Minister released six young White-tailed Eagles, one of the world's largest birds of prey, into Killarney National Park in Kerry.

Minister John Gormley said: 'These eagles had pride of place in the cultural and natural heritage of Ireland for hundreds of years but due to trapping and shooting in the 19th and early 20th centuries they became extinct.'

The eagle chicks came from Norway and were flown into Kerry in June.

Some 15 chicks will be brought into the region annually over the next five years as part of the reintroduction.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0816/eagles.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

another great story like the red kites and the golden eagle success

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

ok well the golden eagles were a success so far. the others I am sure will be

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Spectacular birds (although I have mixed feelings about all these reintroductions). Anyone know the story with the White Tailed Sea Eagle that was stuck in a (big) cage in Fota from the previous reintroduction attempt? Is it still there? Any chance it can be included in this program?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

Spectacular birds (although I have mixed feelings about all these reintroductions).

Why ? (genuine question)

Advertisement