Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wooden bike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

That thing shouldn't be let near a public road; I don't see a single reflector on it.
    cerebus wrote:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

That thing shouldn't be let near a public road; I don't see a single reflector on it.
    Depends on the laws of the country it's being ridden in.

I does have front and rear lamps.

I know. I was extracting the michael.
    Depends on the laws of the country it's being ridden in.

I does have front and rear lamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

That chap Jens Eichler was featured in Cycling Plus a year or two ago. Some of his bikes are amazing. Think he also makes bamboo ones as well as ply.

It is hard to imagine a Jens Eichler emerging from Ireland, such is the national urge to set fire to stuff.
    el tel wrote:
    That chap Jens Eichler was featured in Cycling Plus a year or two ago. Some of his bikes are amazing. Think he also makes bamboo ones as well as ply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Back in the 1930's/40's, before modern alloys, racing wheel rims were made from bamboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

A few people are making bamboo bikes these days, mostly one-offs

http://www.63xc.com/bmeres/bamboo.htm

That I did not know. Anyone got any pictures?
    Back in the 1930's/40's, before modern alloys, racing wheel rims were made from bamboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Here's a page on wooden rims with photos and a newspaper ad from 1939.

Also came across this Calfree bamboo bike with a real bullhorn for handlebars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I'm surprised nobody else has brought up the that a wooden bike....just simple would'n work!

• Advertisement

I held back, I held back.
    pete4130 wrote:
    I'm surprised nobody else has brought up the that a wooden bike....just simple would'n work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Personally i think they are barking mad. I mean it would take a tree-mendous amount of energy to move it. I think a better idea if we leave it alone so we all dont be taken for saps. However in time it could grow on people i guess....

Now that's just bold.
    Agent J wrote:
    Personally i think they are barking mad. I mean it would take a tree-mendous amount of energy to move it. I think a better idea if we leave it alone so we all dont be taken for saps. However in time it could grow on people i guess....

That's phenomenal. These are the kinds of things you used to see on "That's Life".
    blorg wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Imagine them here, the liffey and canals would all be clogged with them all floating around. Scumbags out with wood saws to nick them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

blorg wrote:
    Here's a page on wooden rims with photos and a newspaper ad from 1939.

Also came across this Calfree bamboo bike with a real bullhorn for handlebars.

Cool! I reckon ivory would be perfect for the bottom bracket, headstock and seattube/top tube joint. Now would go down marvelously with everyone :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

could these bikes actually catch on, or is it just for novelty purposes??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Mostly novelty, although bamboo actually does have positive properties (light and shock absorbing.) The guy who did the bamboo bike above is primarily a carbon producer but his bamboo bikes are commercially available.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Agent J wrote:

Just leaf it there!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure if I want to know what sort of injury bamboo could cause when it splinters. :eek:
    blorg wrote:
    I call bull....

• Advertisement
Advertisement