Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

co.uk domain on an irish server (google rank)

Options
  • 16-08-2007 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

little quick query,

im looking to host a co.uk site on my irish server.

but would hosting a .co.uk site in the UK be better than hosting the .co.uk site in ireland with regards google rank etc? or would it make no difference since?

anyone been in a similar situation?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

Hey Dan! :)

Well hosting a .ie website on irish servers will serve better to users of Google.ie
    So in the same turn a .co.uk website on UK servers will serve better to users of Google.co.uk

Who is the target market for the .co.uk site? Irish or UK people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭danbhala

hey niki! whats the criac,

the site is mainly aimed for uk people.

I have a hosting account with hosting 365 so i was just wondering should I host it there, or go ahead an get a hosting account from the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

Personally i think it's the domain that makes most of the difference, however, i have seen .ie's that we host in the US slip down a little when moved from Irish servers.
    If it's not going to be too much hassle i would host my .co.uk in the UK (sorry h365! :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

the-domain.co.uk when searched by a user with a UK IP address will rank in the 'Display pages from the UK' search on Google/Yahoo because it uses the UK tld (.co.uk).

the-domain.co.uk when searched by a user with an Irish IP address will rank in the 'Display pages from the Ireland' search on Google/Yahoo because it is hosted on a server with an Irish IP.

If I was in your shoes and if I was targeting the UK marketplace I would host in the UK with a co.uk URL. I have a .ie website hosted on an Irish IP and it has a single backlink, that domain received a page rank of 4 after G's update...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭danbhala

ok, cheers for the replies

well I'm going to look into getting a nice hosting package from the uk.

anyone know of any that stand out? will be looking to host 4 co.uk domains on it. will be using it for php & mySQL sites, so a couple of db's to play with would be nice. i've googled but there are loads of providers, so a finger point in the right direction would be very much appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

I have only used 1and1 and they are utter crap. They are the big-boys of hosting in the UK and are only interested in making money. Their customer service was terrible and they over charged me on numerous occasions, emailed me spam, posted me spam.... I have a feeling they sold my details as well. They hit me with a charge for exceeding my bandwidth which could have been avoided if only they communicated with me. Anyway....

Spiralhosting are based in NI as far as I know and I would imagine that they host within the UK IP range.

You could always email your Irish web host and ask if they have any UK partners or if they can recommend a UK host for you.

I started a thread seeking hosting recommendations a few months ago on the Irish Webmaster Forum. There should be a few testimonies from users of UK Hosting packages within that thread.

Enjoy.

Advertisement