Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appealing

Options
  • 16-08-2007 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

I know a lot of people might be appealing and applying for viewing scripts next Tuesday, but some might find it a predicament.

Take my situation for instance.

I have 465 points but feel 'hard done by' English, I got a Higher C1 in my mock, only to get a D1 and I expected to get better, maybe a B3. I might get Pharmacology which was 450 points last year, but the English result may go down, or possibly fail me, leaving me with 400 points. Thus I wouldn't get Pharmacology. But I did think it should be higher, but should I take the risk of appealing the result, and the result only comes out in Mid-October as well.

Other people may have appealing questions anyway, or similar situations, feel free to post here bout it.

Lucas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Depends. If the points for your course go up so much that you can't get into it with 465, then yeah, you should appeal. If not, you'd be mad to appeal and only doing it for pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

Lucas10101 wrote:
    I know a lot of people might be appealing and applying for viewing scripts next Tuesday, but some might find it a predicament.

I have 465 points but feel 'hard done by' English, I got a Higher C1 in my mock, only to get a D1 and I expected to get better, maybe a B3. I might get Pharmacology which was 450 points last year, but the English result may go down, or possibly fail me, leaving me with 400 points. Thus I wouldn't get Pharmacology. But I did think it should be higher, but should I take the risk of appealing the result, and the result only comes out in Mid-October as well.

Other people may have appealing questions anyway, or similar situations, feel free to post here bout it.

Lucas.
    If that course was 450 last year and you got 465, you will must likely get it on Monday.

If you don't get it on Monday, apply to view the paper on Tuesday,then look out for the round two points ( 31st).

If you don't get offered it in round two, look at your script with your teacher and decide if there is grounds for an appeal. Most people do not get their result degraded, particularly from a D1 to E, look at the figures only 1.8% of people fail higher English, you will not be one of them if you appeal.

However, I think you should be comfortable for your Pharmacology course and you will in time get over and forget about your disappointment over your English result

In my case, my 435 is exactly the same as the cut off point for my first preference last year. I will wait till Monday and if things go wrong, i will apply to look at all my scripts to see if i will appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Lucas10101 wrote:

Lucas.

I expected a C1 or even 2 myself but got a D1 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Thanks for the replies...I think I will appeal my result in English after all. But I'm not going to bother methinks to read the script. But the result isn't out til October, so just say I get offered Pharmacology next Monday, and I fail in October, would they take me out of Pharmacology?? Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

No no, look at the script with your teacher! You'd be mad not to. What if you ARE 4% off the next grade or the examiner was being generous? You could get downgraded, but if you look at the thing, your teacher would be able to tell if the examiner was being fair/unfair/generous.

I'm getting 5 subjects looked at, hopefully I can send 3 off to be appealed, just in case. Need to go up 5 points..though that could go up or down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭D. Coughlan

http://www.examinations.ie/statistics/statistics_2006/2006_LeavingCertificateAppeals.pdf

Could be useful to people thinking of appealing some subjects.

In 2006, out of 9492 appeals 1911 were upgraded and NONE were degraded.

English has by far the highest appeal rate, with not that many upgrades

Also i notice that Economics has a very low upgrade rate.

Numbers are pretty much the same as in other years but there has been degrades in the past.

Advertisement