Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow walk

Options
  • 16-08-2007 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Anybody recommend a nice romantic and scenic part of Wicklow for a walk?
    Was thinking of driving down with my better looking half and getting some nice country air. We have no hiking boots and would prefer scenary as opposed to an endurance walk.
    Suggestions welcomed.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,440 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You sound like you would enjoy Glendalough. Nice lakes, good walks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Pat the Baker

Rathnew is very nice this time of year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭tattoo

Rathnew? Really? Where? :p

I agree with johnny, Glendalough is a beautiful place for a walk.

There are also some nice walks around Enniskerry, Powerscourt.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Rathnew????? i would say Rathdrum, that big house/musuem has brilliant walks through the woods and around by the river and the tea shop is lovely.

Blessington lake is lovely as well and the cliff walk from bray to greystones has great views

i could think of a hundred places but i have to say Rathnew doesnt come to mind ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Devils Glen besides Ashford (just off the N11) is another lovely spot too. Has nice easy walks, and some great scenary too.
    Its not the total tourist trap that Glendalough is at this time of year (I live just down the road from Glendalough..and believe me when I say its MOBBED with tourists at the moment). That said any of the easy walks in Wicklow right now are probably full of tourists.
    I pass by the entrance to the Devils Glen forest several times a week and its never anything like as mobbed as Glendalough.

If its a romantic walk you want , that easy then why not just pick up a map of Wicklow and make your own route?

Alternatively the walk up to Dalkey Castle and the Oblisk in Killiney has spectacular views too with non hiker friendly trails.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The cliff walk from Bray to Greystones is nice. Not too far and not too tough. You can leave your car at one end and take the Dart back from the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The cliff walk from Bray to Greystones is nice. Not too far and not too tough. You can leave your car at one end and take the Dart back from the other end.

is it fully open at the moment though? - i'm sure you'd be able to get through, but the OP may not want to clamber over fences to get access.

If you are doing the cliff walk, its worth getting up early to do it in the morning as it is east facing and in shadow for much of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

The fence is down next to the portion of the path that collapsed and a very slight diversion (about 150m) brings you back onto the path.

Totally agree about doing the walk before the sun comes around, it's mighty chilly doing the walk in the shade!

Advertisement