Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drogheda United vs Helsingsborgs

• 16-08-2007 5:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭

Best of luck to the drogs tonight. I think they'll snatch a 1-0.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

this on the box anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

ntlbell wrote:
    this on the box anywhere?

Nope , not even Henrik Larsson's presence was enough to encourage RTE to show this :rolleyes:

I reckon 0-0 in a dreadfully boring game .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Come on the real Irish team.

Wonder how many clowns are in Dalyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

RTE have it live on the Radio wonder if Drogs gonna let them this time.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It's on the radio now.

Still 0-0 26 mins.

• Advertisement

Drogheda 1 down at half-time.

Larsson with the goal.

Zebra3 wrote:

Larsson with the goal.
    What a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

DesF wrote:
    What a legend.
    Agreed. He's what my Dad would call "A proper footballer"

1-1 now by the way. Zayed with the equalizer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Drogs need a second goal if they are to have a chance of going through I feel.

It sounds like they are doing well enough at the moment but they need to get Cahill on the ball more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Just watched RTE news and they showed Larsson's oal. They were about to show Drogs goal but some Elvis story was more important.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote:
    What a legend.

Who me? Thanks. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

It was like being at two matches last night, The Drogs fans and the few away fans, then the fools with Celtic flags and jerseys singing Celtic songs.

Idiots.

Bluetonic wrote:
    then the fools with Celtic flags and jerseys singing Celtic songs.

Idiots.
    But they were there to pay homage to a legend, it's alright.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Fair play Drogs, not the worst result ever. Hopefully they'll do a job over there.

Bluetonic wrote:
    It was like being at two matches last night, The Drogs fans and the few away fans, then the fools with Celtic flags and jerseys singing Celtic songs.

Idiots.

I'm starting to wonder did most of this board move from a special home on the stilorgan rd.

why does it effect you so much what other people do?

they follow celtic for whatever reason, they have a chance to see him locally and I dunno "thank him" in a special irish way for his service over the years?

Why are you lot so touchy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

ntlbell wrote:
    I'm starting to wonder did most of this board move from a special home on the stilorgan rd.

they follow celtic for whatever reason, they have a chance to see him locally and I dunno "thank him" in a special irish way for his service over the years?

If I went to see my team playing a European game and saw a load of local guys supporting the opposition I'd probably be annoyed too. Thats just what happens.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    If I went to see my team playing a European game and saw a load of local guys supporting the opposition I'd probably be annoyed too. Thats just what happens.

If the guys were not drogheda fans, which looks like they were not, what difference does it make.

It's not often Irish celtic fans will get to see him play, they went for the most part to watch him not "support" his team.

I still don't see why people get upset by this.

ntlbell wrote:

I'm not touchy.

I'm entitled to my opinion of said supporters. Being quite noticeably annoyed when Drogheda equalised is pathetic to be honest.

ntlbell wrote:
    It's not often Irish celtic fans will get to see him play, they went for the most part to watch him not "support" his team.

See my post above, the majority of the 30 or so were cheering not only Henrik but anything his team did and had a look of annoyance when Drogheda equalised. Thats just a little weird.

Bluetonic wrote:
    See my post above, the majority of the 30 or so were cheering not only Henrik but anything his team did and had a look of annoyance when Drogheda equalised. Thats just a little weird.

why is it weird? they're not drogheda supporters?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

ntlbell wrote:

He has played for 3 clubs since playing for Celtic. Personally, IMO anyone at that game last night in a Celtic shirt singing Celtic songs is a downright imbecile. Probably the same fellas who booed some debutant for Denmark a few years ago thinking he was Peter Lovenkrands :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Any video footage from the game anywhere?

gimmick wrote:
    He has played for 3 clubs since playing for Celtic. Personally, IMO anyone at that game last night in a Celtic shirt singing Celtic songs is a downright imbecile. Probably the same fellas who booed some debutant for Denmark a few years ago thinking he was Peter Lovenkrands :rolleyes:

The fact is he was a "celtic legend" that status never changes what you do.

they went to cheer him on, that's all there is to is, irish fans getting uppity about it just moronic, they're people at a football match enjoying the game it can never be a negative thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I was at the game last night. Drogheda were very unlucky. The first half was scrappy, but Helsinsborgs were the better side. Their goal was soft though, shocking defending. A different Drogheda came out for the second half. Zayed in particular was fantastic, aside from his goal. As was Tony Grant when he came on. They missed a couple of great chances to win it.

Overall, I think they should feel confident going over there for the second leg. Helsingsborgs shouldn't be feared. They looked really rattled when Drogheda went at them in the second half, and their main man Larsson, was largely anonamous, aside from his goal.

ntlbell wrote:
    why is it weird? they're not drogheda supporters?

I don't see how a team they don't support (playing another team they don't support) scoring a goal could have a negative effect on them, which it did.

Surely if they were fans of football they would be appreciative of the move that went with the goal. The problem is I don't think these people are fans of football, they are just pack mentality clones of each other who are ignorant to achievement of an EPL team.

ntlbell wrote:
    they went to cheer him on, that's all there is to is, irish fans getting uppity about it just moronic, they're people at a football match enjoying the game it can never be a negative thing.

But if they just went to cheer him then fine, but they also weren't happy to see Drogheda be successful on the pitch.

I just don't get why one would be noticeably disappointed when Drogheda were playing well.

Sad really.

Bluetonic wrote:
    But if they just went to cheer him then fine, but they also weren't happy to see Drogheda be successful on the pitch.

I just don't get why one would be noticeably disappointed when Drogheda were playing well.

Sad really.

According to news papers and the radio the small amount of celtic fans that were there clapped and celebrated the drogheda goal?

even if they didn't i still don't see how it annoys you so much? most of them follow english/scottish teams so does a huge majority of irish football fans the behaviour is not new, it doesn't need to mentioned every single day, maybe one of the reason fans stay away is the droney negative attitude that LOI fans seem to have about everything football that isn't LOI it's getting very close to snobbery.

Bluetonic wrote:
    I don't see how a team they don't support (playing another team they don't support) scoring a goal could have a negative effect on them, which it did.

Surely if they were fans of football they would be appreciative of the move that went with the goal. The problem is I don't think these people are fans of football, they are just pack mentality clones of each other who are ignorant to achievement of an EPL team.

how do you know they were not celtic fans?

as i said they did celebrate and apreciate the drog goal.

you're making assumptions about people you know nothing about.

1.a person who imitates, cultivates, or slavishly admires social superiors and is condescending or overbearing to others. 2.a person who believes himself or herself an expert or connoisseur in a given field and is condescending toward or disdainful of those who hold other opinions or have different tastes regarding this field:

ntlbell wrote:
    According to news papers and the radio the small amount of celtic fans that were there clapped and celebrated the drogheda goal?
    You have eyewitness reports from here, or reports on Newspapers and Radio that are notoriously bad at reporting from LoI grounds.

The only reason most of the reporters were there is for the same reason these idiots in Keltic shirts were. And the idiots who read their papers and listen to their radio stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

ntlbell wrote:

ntlbell wrote:
    If the guys were not drogheda fans, which looks like they were not, what difference does it make.

I still don't see why people get upset by this.
    ntlbell wrote:
    The fact is he was a "celtic legend" that status never changes what you do.

ntlbell wrote:
    even if they didn't i still don't see how it annoys you so much? most of them follow english/scottish teams so does a huge majority of irish football fans the behaviour is not new, it doesn't need to mentioned every single day, maybe one of the reason fans stay away is the droney negative attitude that LOI fans seem to have about everything football that isn't LOI it's getting very close to snobbery.

Ntbell you are hitting the nail on the head with each of your posts.

LOI fans seem to spend their whole them here getting upset.

It’s part of their makeup.

ntlbell wrote:
    as i said they did celebrate and apreciate the drog goal.

I was at the match, in the Connaught stand around 25 meters from these people during the second half when Drogheda scored. There was nobody between me and these people.

They did not celebrate or appreciate the Drogheda goal. They were downbeat after Drogheda scored whereas before they had been quite vocal. This is the part I don't understand.

The reporters were on the other side of the ground in the Jodi, possible the furtherest away from the group as they could be.

That is fact. I have no reason to make up a story for the sake of it.
    Whether not you choose to believe it or not is of no consequence to me. I hope this helps.

The facts are these.

Irish men went to a game specifically to cheer on a Swede who played football for a Scottish team, and more recently an English team, in a match against an Irish team.

Irish men clapped and cheered when said Swede scored against the Irish team.

Irish men were noticably disappointed when an Irish team started to play better and indeed score against the team that the Swede who had played for a Scottish team, and more recently an English team, was playing for.

Can anyone not see why there's a bit of head scratching going on? Why people see this as just a little bit weird?

Would it happen in any other country? I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

DesF wrote:
    Can anyone not see why there's a bit of head scratching going on? Why people see this as just a little bit weird?

Maybe, just maybe, those people feel a closer link to Larrsson than they do to a random LOI club? That's pretty understandable as he was a legand for a team they really supported.

PHB wrote:
    Maybe, just maybe, those people feel a closer link to Larrsson than they do to a random LOI club? That's pretty understandable as he was a legand for a team they really supported.
    :eek:

So they go in Keltic garb to a game involving Drogheda and Helsingborgs?

You're a pretty big ManYoo fan yeah?

Would you go to a game in Dalymount involving Sligo Rovers and Real Madrid wearing your best ManYoo costume?

Jersey, scarf, joker hat, ruud t-shirt, ruud pj bottoms, ruud slippers?

Do you still idolise the man who is still playing football for a different club, but scored a record number of goals for your team, or is that a bit strange?

And will you please point out the difference between Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Henrik Larsson and what they did for their respective clubs?

PHB wrote:
    Surely that bond shouldn't stop a show of appreciation and admiration for a good performance by Drogheda, and indeed a well taken goal and command of the second half.

The Celtic fans really came out of it looking very small time indeed, surely fans like these aren't great ambassadors of the club. Fair Play say UEFA, fair play indeed.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote:
    The facts are these.

Irish men went to a game specifically to cheer on a Swede who played football for a Scottish team, and more recently an English team, in a match against an Irish team.

Irish men were noticably disappointed when an Irish team started to play better and indeed score against the team that the Swede who had played for a Scottish team, and more recently an English team, was playing for.

Would it happen in any other country? I doubt it.

All of this is not the fault of the people who went to see Larsen.

It's the fault of the Irish footballing authorities for not marketing and running their game properly.

The majority of football fans have a marginal interest in the LOI at best, and no amount of complaining about them from more interested LOI fans is going to make a blind bit of difference.

I love Ruud, absolutely, cheered him on all season when playing for Real Madrid and if Real came to Ireland I would go to the match with my United jersey on to cheer him on, no doubt about it. Normally I just wear a jersey so I don't get that kitted out, but if I got a chance to support Ruud again, no matter what team he was playing for (unless it was against United) I would.

I give up on this thread, and I give up on Oirish people.

I won't be on threads on this forum about the subject of LoI and it's non support in it's own country again.

I know who I support. I'm not a fan, I'm a supporter. I support my team, my league.

I don't care about the shít facilities, I get to watch real live football every week, you can keep your barstool or couch and your endless re-runs and analysis by Jamie fúcking Redknapp and other bland Sky slaves.

I don't care about Johnny Superstar and his overpaid, prima donna lifestyle. I know the lads who put it in week-in week-out for my club. I know they feel something for the shirt they are wearing, and aren't just picking up the paltry wages at the end of the week for the sake of it.

You can keep your Premier League glitz and glamour, it leaves me feeling empty and unfulfilled, give me a cold wet saturday afternoon in Cobh any time.

Watching games on tv is absolutely nothing compared to standing in the terraces actually supporting your team. Do you think Fernando Torres or Robin van Persie or Cristiano Ronaldo or even Roy Keane cares how many viewers Sky get every week? Of course they don't.

Do you think going to Villa Park, or Old Trafford or White Heart Lane once every five months, or more likely once every five years, means you are a proper supporter? Like hell it does. You are nothing but a slave to the corporation.

You may know who played in the 1955 FA Cup second round game for your club, but who cares, if you are not actively involved with supporting your club on a weekly, no daily, basis, then you can't call yourself a supporter. You don't support the club, you are a fanboi, nothing more.

DesF wrote:

I won't be on threads on this forum about the subject of LoI and it's non support in it's own country again.

I know who I support. I'm not a fan, I'm a supporter. I support my team, my league.

I don't care about the shít facilities, I get to watch real live football every week, you can keep your barstool or couch and your endless re-runs and analysis by Jamie fúcking Redknapp and other bland Sky slaves.

I don't care about Johnny Superstar and his overpaid, prima donna lifestyle. I know the lads who put it in week-in week-out for my club. I know they feel something for the shirt they are wearing, and aren't just picking up the paltry wages at the end of the week for the sake of it.

You can keep your Premier League glitz and glamour, it leaves me feeling empty and unfulfilled, give me a cold wet saturday afternoon in Cobh any time.

Watching games on tv is absolutely nothing compared to standing in the terraces actually supporting your team. Do you think Fernando Torres or Robin van Persie or Cristiano Ronaldo or even Roy Keane cares how many viewers Sky get every week? Of course they don't.

Do you think going to Villa Park, or Old Trafford or White Heart Lane once every five months, or more likely once every five years, means you are a proper supporter? Like hell it does. You are nothing but a slave to the corporation.

You may know who played in the 1955 FA Cup second round game for your club, but who cares, if you are not actively involved with supporting your club on a weekly, no daily, basis, then you can't call yourself a supporter. You don't support the club, you are a fanboi, nothing more.
    DesF wrote:
    give me a cold wet saturday afternoon in Cobh any time
    DesF wrote:

And you my friend are a slave to mediocrity, if not utter s**te

And there you have it folks, the typical 'holier than thou' LOI fan post.

Thanks Continuity Sean South

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Supporting the opposition? Would you drop the bloody paranoia. They were there to watch Celtic's greatest ever player. He's loved by the Celtic fans. They weren't there to cheer on Helsingborgs. Of course a lot of them didn't care whether Drogs won or not but so what? They're in the majority in this country unfortunately. If those fans were genuinely delighted to see Larsson score then it's only natural that they'd celebrate. Maybe they were just celebrating to spite the LOI fans though.

gimmick - Don't be ridiculous. I'm sure you'd have no problem with seeing a Cork jersey at a La Liga match. They were singing Celtic song because that's what happens when you put 50 Celtic fans together.

• Advertisement

DesF wrote:
    The facts are these.

Don't give us this rubbish about patriotism. I did not make a rational decision to support Celtic. I started supporting earlier than kids begin to smoke (another choice people don't usually make as an adult). I grew to love them and there's nothing going to change that. I can't change the fact that I'm a Celtic fan and I'm no idiot because of it.

DesF wrote:

You're rattling all this out and you don't even support the Irish national team. That excuse about despising the FAI is rubbish. Loads of fans don't like the board running the team. That doesn't mean they lose all love for that team. Fair enough, if you don't have any affinity with the Irish football team there's nothing you can do about it. I don't understand it of course but I wouldn't be making personal insults about people that don't support their national team.

Bluetonic wrote:
    then the fools with Celtic flags and jerseys singing Celtic songs.

Idiots.

Hopefully when they hit puberty they'll look back at last night and regret looking like a bunch of turds.

Maybe me and some mates should have gone last night to cheer on Ollie Cahill and Stewie Byrne and sing Shelbourne songs for the whole match. That would have been great craic. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

DesF wrote:

Pathetic post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

DesF wrote:

The level of disdain shown to 99% of the users of this site in the above post is beyond belief.

Do you genuinely think you are better than the rest of us here?

As has been pointed out to you numerous times, the players you refer to above, who 'play for the shirt', are only there because they are not good enough to play at a decent level in England. They would all leave in a heartbeat if given a chance.

Cause you seem to have deluded yourself into thinking they are all your mates you feel you are above us common 'fans'?!

Is it any wonder no one is interested in the LOI when people like you are its main followers?

You may see your team more often, but in 1 trip to Anfield, Old Trafford etc, us 'fanboys' will see more great players, great skill etc than you will in your entire life.

What Celtic fans that were there last night were put in the corner of the stand opposite the main stand (the main stand is the "Jodi" stand) they had a big banner which I could not see. I think there were between 40 to 50 fans.

The 'Tic fans did not appear to be cheering for anyone until the Drog's fans started booing Henrick's every touch, and they didn't really seem to react to much other than Henrick's goal, they sang a few Celtic songs but didn't really do much else.

Thoughts on a 'neutral' game, well like TheNewLubo has said, those of us who paid money to see Henrick contributed to what is probably Drogheda's biggest pay day of the season so what the Eircom League fans have the panties in a bunch over I can not fathom :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

DesF wrote:

DesF, beautiful post, borderline poetic, almost brought a tear to my eye! :D
    Do you genuinely think you are better than the rest of us here?

ok, who is the better football supporter?

a) someone who calls themsleves a football supporter when they attend games of their club no matter what the weather, the facilities or the standard is on the pitch but solely due to a passion and an attachment to that club
    OR
    b) someone who call themselves a football ''supporter'' when they ''support'' their beloved clubs through a tv screen every sunday afternoon with Andy Gray and co. only due to materialistic factors when they have no attachment whatsover to that club

unless you're ****ing thick the answer is a)

stop deluding yourselves barstoolers, LOI fans who support their club week in week out by actually being at games, supporting their team, supporting their club financially are better football supporters than 95% of football ''supporters'' in this country who support their clubs out of no attachment but only due to superstars, success, sexed up marketing and through a tv screen.
    And you my friend are a slave to mediocrity, if not utter s**te
    You may see your team more often, but in 1 trip to Anfield, Old Trafford etc, us 'fanboys' will see more great players, great skill etc than you will in your entire life.

LOL..... point is proven about the caliber of footballl ''supporters'' in this great nation :rolleyes:

You are nothing but a slave to the corporation.

Fight the POWEH.

Your view of the footballers you support compared to the footballers I support is laughable. The only difference between them is ability, any of the players you support would give anything to have the lives of Ronaldo/Rooney. They are exactly the same, and if you honestly believe otherwise, you've deluded yourself into an absurd position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

DesF wrote:

Agreed.

DesF, beautiful post, borderline poetic, almost brought a tear to my eye! :D

ok, who is the better football supporter?

a) someone who calls themsleves a football supporter when they attend games of their club no matter what the weather, the facilities or the standard is on the pitch but solely due to a passion and an attachment to that club
    OR
    b) someone who call themselves a football ''supporter'' when they ''support'' their beloved clubs through a tv screen every sunday afternoon with Andy Gray and co. only due to materialistic factors when they have no attachment whatsover to that club

unless you're ****ing thick the answer is a)

stop deluding yourselves barstoolers, LOI fans who support their club week in week out by actually being at games, supporting their team, supporting their club financially are better football supporters than 95% of football ''supporters'' in this country who support their clubs out of no attachment but only due to superstars, success, sexed up marketing and through a tv screen.

LOL..... point is proven about the caliber of footballl ''supporters'' in this great nation :rolleyes:

Thnaks Jonny Arson. for confirming what I already suspected, DesF is not alone in his LOI superiority complex.

Look and me, look at me, I stood up in the pissing rain to see a 0-0 draw between Monaghan and Wexford Youths,
    While you watched a EPL game on the TV,
    amin't i great, amin't I great, I'm a real fan,
    I'm a real fan.

I was at a LOI game once, Galway v Waterford in Div 1 in Sept 2002. Sad boring 0-0 draw, nearly frose too, what was worse was the group of Waterford fans close to me who were singing (in English accents like you hear on the telly)
    'We are so and so's blue and white army'

What a sad shower of f**cks I though.

Jonny Arson, DesF, you are not better supporters that people who enjoy their soccer on TV, get that straight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement