Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drogheda United vs Helsingsborgs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Thnaks Jonny Arson. for confirming what I already suspected, DesF is not alone in his LOI superiority complex.
    What do you want me to say?

Do you want me to say football supporters who ''support'' their teams through a tv screen are better football supporters than people who actually go out and actively support their clubs?

Give me a F'N break, the truth hurts Benedict doesn't it
    Look and me, look at me, I stood up in the pissing rain to see a 0-0 draw between Monaghan and Wexford Youths,
    While you watched a EPL game on the TV,
    amin't i great, amin't I great, I'm a real fan,
    I'm a real fan.
    the usual taking things out of context approach when you get circled on this debate each and every time
    I was at a LOI game once, Galway v Waterford in Div 1 in Sept 2002. Sad boring 0-0 draw, nearly frose too, what was worse was the group of Waterford fans close to me who were singing (in English accents like you hear on the telly)
    'We are so and so's blue and white army'

What a sad shower of f**cks I though.
    Good for you, you judge the whole league and it's supporters on ONE game, bravo sir

yeah and shame on those Waterford supporters for signing songs and supporting their team..... yeah what a sad shower of f**cks :rolleyes:
    Jonny Arson, DesF, you are not better supporters that people who enjoy their soccer on TV, get that straight.
    and you have just made a fantastic argument in your post which TOTALLY backs that up :rolleyes:

so there we go, i'm not as good a footballer supporter as Benedict and his barstool buddies because i actually go to games, support my team when i can and don't make ignorant and insulting posts on the shower of f**cks that are Waterford United supporters.... shame on me :o:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Just out of curiousity,if i watch my local team every weekend down at the local pitch in the Premier A league. Can i please be a super-fan like you guys?!

Or does it have to be LOI? Where is the line drawn?

Just out of curiousity,if i watch my local team every weekend down at the local pitch in the Premier A league. Can i please be a super-fan like you guys?!

Or does it have to be LOI? Where is the line drawn?
    no line is drawn anywhere, who said anyone should just only support LOI teams when there are endless amounts of regional and local clubs to support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

eirebhoy wrote:
    They were there to watch Celtic's greatest ever player. .

Er, Kenny Dalglish?

So do you support your local club? Or your nearest LOI club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Jonny Arson, DesF, you are not better supporters that people who enjoy their soccer on TV, get that straight.
    You are delusional. If you honestly believe that someone who watches all their football on TV, wherever it be, is comparable to someone supporting a team week in week out at their ground, then you understand NOTHING about football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Er, Kenny Dalglish?

Chris Morris?:rolleyes:

Sorry just trying to lighten the mood of the thread:p

yes, Shelbourne are my closest LOI club, i first saw them in 1995 while i was young and naive Man United ''fan'', from that time onwards i paid a keen interest to Shels and also as a result of me living close to Tolka Park in the early years of my life and having family who lived near to the club in the Drumcondra area, i had an attachment to the area and the club that eventually blossomed into me going to matches once i grew up out of the Man United phase when i realised that i had no attachment and connection to United

and i also do try to attend matches of my amateur local club who i played for as a child and my nearest LSL club when i can but Shels are no.1

interrogation over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I make that Shels 1 Liverpool 0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

What do you want me to say?

Do you want me to say football supporters who ''support'' their teams through a tv screen are better football supporters than people who actually go out and actively support their clubs?

Give me a F'N break, the truth hurts Benedict doesn't it

People support team for different reasons and in different ways, some support teams on their door step, others support teams thousands of miles away.

The problem is the likes of yourself and DesF wish to lecture those who do not support local team.

I have no problem with people going to LOI games and supporting their team, I know many who do, it's when LOI fans like yourself and DesF start proclaiming that you are better than others is what annoys me.

As for the Waterford fans, what's with the English accents in their chants, do they not have their own Waterford accents, that is what I found sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

CiaranC wrote:
    You are delusional. If you honestly believe that someone who watches all their football on TV, wherever it be, rather than supporting a team week in week out at their ground then you understand NOTHING about football.

It is you who is delusional. I find it kind of tricky to make it to anfield to see the team I support every week, but I go when I can. I've also been to about 5 drogheda united matches in the last two years, and i've little urge to go to any more. And I know PLENTY about football, starting with what constitutes good football. And for me, 9 times out of ten, that means staying at home to enjoy it.

Oh and your sentence makes ABSOLUTELY no sense.

CiaranC wrote:
    You are delusional. If you honestly believe that someone who watches all their football on TV, wherever it be, is comparable to someone supporting a team week in week out at their ground, then you understand NOTHING about football.

My point is that no fans should think they are a better that another based on how they choose to enjoy their sport.

JohnnyArson: And wat would be your response to someone criticising you for supporting Shels, a successful Irish club, as opposed to your local club?

Surely if all you require is to watch football, live week in week out and support a team, it would makre more sense to follow your local team no?

Find it so hard to see where ye draw your line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I've been going to see Shels since the early 90s, with a gap of a few years when I worked on Friday evenings. They are the nearest LoI club to me, although Bohs aren't too far away either.

I was involved in the early days of setting up a football club in my local area, who played in the Amateur League, but folded this summer.

As you all know I was involved, and still involved, with setting up and running the Boards.ie team (probably playing at the lowest level of football in the country, but we'll see how far we go, if anyone feels like joining up for the new season check out our forum).

I was involved with my local LSL side as an underage player, but they treated members of my family badly, so I no longer have anything to do with them.

But having said all that, apart from Boardeaux obviously, Shels are number one. I work for the club, on a voluntary basis. I pay my fifteen euro in every week, home or away, although work is getting in the way of away games this year because it's harder to get to Kilkenny or Donegal than it is to Bray or Inchicore. I've made some great mates from supporting Shels, and I'd do anything for the club. I love Shelbourne.

As for the Waterford fans, what's with the English accents in their chants, do they not have their own Waterford accents, that is what I found sad.
    What about the idiots in Croke Park for the Slovakia match recently? I was there, and I witnessed a whole section of them chanting

'Who ah ya, who ah ya" in their best English accents.

You can have a go at the Waterford lads all you want, but it's not a LoI thing, get that straight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

As a Leeds fan I am not ashamed to admit that someone who goes to every Leeds game is a more die hard supporter than me.

Using this very simple logic an Eircom league fan who goes to all the games is a better supporter of their team than I am of mine (although if I could afford to go to every Leeds game I would).

Same goes for every single football fan on this board. The person who goes to more matches than you is a better fan. If you can't see that you really are an idiot of the highest order.

You can not SUPPORT your team by shouting at the TV, you can only support them by being in the stadium, singing songs and creating an atmosphere that urges your team on to win.

My point is that no fans should think they are a better that another based on how they choose to enjoy their sport.
    Pah, thats hilarious.

Kingp35 wrote:
    As a Leeds fan I am not ashamed to admit that someone who goes to every Leeds game is a more die hard supporter than me.

Using this very simple logic an Eircom league fan who goes to all the games is a better supporter of their team than I am of mine (although if I could afford to go to every Leeds game I would).

Same goes for every single football fan on this board. The person who goes to more matches than you is a better fan. If you can't see that you really are an idiot of the highest order.

You can not SUPPORT your team by shouting at the TV, you can only support them by being in the stadium, singing songs and creating an atmosphere that urges your team on to win.
    At last, the voice of reason. Congratulations.

Kingp35 wrote:

That is over simplifying the situation.

Not all fans have the same disposable income that others.

You have 3 fans.

A 16 year old student
    A 30 year old working class man with a family
    a 30 year old single professional.

All are equally passionate about their team

Only the professional can afford to go to games regularly, the others can go to 1 a season or sometimes none at all.

Is the professional a better supporter that the others, is he more worthy of our praise.

CiaranC wrote:
    Pah, thats hilarious.

Elaborate ?

• Advertisement

Elaborate ?
    The notion that one set of fans should not think themselves better than another is hilarious. Do you know nothing about being a football fan?

The problem with Premiership Paddy is this. He has redifined for himself what it is to be a football fan. His definition is completely different to the rest of the worlds.

He somehow thinks that he is comparable in supporting club x to a season ticket holder, from the area, whose father and father before him supported the club, who goes to matches week in, week out, who raises funds for the club and helps out at underage.

He honestly believes that his buying a replica shirt, watching tv and taking a trip across the water twice a year is somehow the same as the guy above. Its an amazing trick of self-delusion, but he does it all the same. He understands nothing of the history, the loyalty, the tribalism and the love of being a football fan experienced all over the world.

The truth is that the real fans of club x hate and despise you as much as we do. I spoke to two Sunderland lads two weeks ago in Dublin who were bristling with hate from these clowns coming into their club.

They summed it up perfectly; they said you are no better than japanese schoolgirls going to Old Trafford to see David Beckham. And you know what? They are dead right.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I understand that, that is why I said that if I had the money I would go to every Leeds game. You would be hard pushed to find a more passionate fan than me.

Fact still remains though that the man in the stands cheering the team on is giving more support to Leeds than I am sitting at home listening to the game on the radio.

Passion is one thing but support is another.

CiaranC wrote:
    The truth is that the real fans of club x hate and despise you as much as we do.

You're are a lovely person. Hate filled little man.

Wat have we done to earn your hatred?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Er, Kenny Dalglish?
    In the official vote Jimmy Johnstone won with Larsson 2nd. We also had a poll recently on a Celtic forum:
    http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/8422/celticgreatstx7.png

That's how highly he's thought of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

You have 3 fans.

A 16 year old student
    A 30 year old working class man with a family
    a 30 year old single professional.

All are equally passionate about their team

Only the professional can afford to go to games regularly, the others can go to 1 a season or sometimes none at all.

Is the professional a better supporter that the others, is he more worthy of our praise.

16 year old student - been there, always broke, got in free for 2 seasons by giving up my time prematch and into the first 5 mins or so selling programmes.

30yr old working class man with family - a large amount of the dalymount crowd is made up of these. Its not that expensive to pay monthly for a membership/season ticket that will give you discounts on kids seasontickets. Most will also be able to put 30euro or so aside every second week to go to home games.

Of course if you support a team on the mainland its going to get more difficult. I still dont get why people decide that theyre not going to support the EL because of the standard yet theyll support the national team ahead of the English one/Brasil/Argentina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

CiaranC wrote:
    I spoke to two Sunderland lads two weeks ago in Dublin who were bristling with hate from these clowns coming into their club.

While I agree with most of your points, I bet these Sunderland fans are only too happy to get all the money they can from the suckers who travel over. It only becomes a problem if locals lose out to the package posse.

I was on a plane from Cork to Liverpool a few months ago, and I got talking to a fella next to me. He obviously thought I was going to the Liverpool game the next day, fair assumption. When I told him I was there for other reasons, and am a Cork City fan, he howled with derision. He had a ticket for the Man U game afterall, this was the pinnacle of his football following life. If life got that mundane for me I would like to end it all. if he supported Liverpool every week he would have no problems in getting said tickets.

CiaranC wrote:
    The truth is that the real fans of club x hate and despise you as much as we do.

Oh , I'm sorry, I did not think that sitting down watching soccer on telly would cause so much hatred between me and folks in the UK, and not just them but ye as well, who ever ye are, I hope I don't meet any of ye on the way home tonight.

bohsman wrote:
    Of course if you support a team on the mainland its going to get more difficult. I still dont get why people decide that theyre not going to support the EL because of the standard yet theyll support the national team ahead of the English one/Brasil/Argentina.
    You have the obvious advantage of actually supporting a LOI team though. It's pretty easy to gain an interest in a league which contains your team.

gimmick wrote:
    He had a ticket for the Man U game afterall, this was the pinnacle of his football following life. If life got that mundane for me I would like to end it all. if he supported Liverpool every week he would have no problems in getting said tickets.

So the f**k what, the guy gets enjoyment out of going to Man Utd games.
    Why are you ridiculing him for the way he likes to enjoy his football, it may be mundane to you but he obviously enjoys it.

Get off the f**king judgmental high horse for god sake.

p.s he too should not have 'howled with derision' with regard to your support of Cork

p.s he too should not have 'howled with derision' with regard to your support of Cork
    I think that's the main point of the post so you went a bit ott with the reply. :D

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    You have the obvious advantage of actually supporting a LOI team though. It's pretty easy to gain an interest in a league which contains your team.
    :confused:

I don't understand this post eb.

Could you re-word it or something, I'm having an awful time parsing it or something, cheers.

The problem is the likes of yourself and DesF wish to lecture those who do not support local team.
    JohnnyArson: And wat would be your response to someone criticising you for supporting Shels, a successful Irish club, as opposed to your local club?

Surely if all you require is to watch football, live week in week out and support a team, it would makre more sense to follow your local team no?

Find it so hard to see where ye draw your line.

you've both completely missed what i've said throughout this thread

my gripe is not necessarily about supporting your local team, it's about people ''supporting'' teams who they have no connection or attachment to and then call themselves football ''supporters'' i.e. the typical Irish football fan who supports Celtic, Liverpool, Man Utd etc when they never go to matches, have no connection with the club but talk as the club as ''us'' ''we'' and claim they support the club.

i'd have the same gripe if someone from Drumcondra was calling themselves a Shelbourne supporter when they never bother their arse going down to Tolka! or someone calling themselves a Sligo Rovers supporter when they never bother to go to Sligo matches and just watch them on TG4 or Setanta. Shelbourne were the first club i had a genuine connection and affinity for, should i stop going to matches because they now are a 60 minute train journey/walk from me? No way.

having a connection and attachment is paramount to being a supporter of a football club, location should never be the be all and end all but i would find it odd for example if someone born and bred in Galway was supporting Cork City instead of Galway United, i think most rationally thinking people would think the same but if that individual from Galway somehow has a genuine connection to Cork City and actually goes to games then there is nothing wrong with that, they are supporting a football club who they have an attachment and dedication to and are not bullsh!tting about supporting a club they don't support or using the words ''we'' and ''us''

BUT here in great Ireland the majority of people born in bred in Dublin or anywhere else in the county are ''supporting'' British teams who never see, never play, only through a TV screen and a sky satellite dish. the majority claim to ''support'' Celtic, Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea who all win coincidently win trophies, are successful and rich....... people supporting clubs for materialistic reasons couldn;t happen could it?! If there are Irish people consistently going over to Britain to support British teams and have a genuine connection with that club then i don't have too much of a problem with that even though i cringe at the thought of all the money spent on flights, tickets, hotels which would equal income for as many as 10 season tickets sold for an LOI club! However, we all know that the majority of Irish people who claim to ''support'' British teams never see that club in action and have no connection to the clubs they claim to support...... that is what is wrong and that is what is shameful about the majority of Irish football ''supporters''. They have bought into a glossy sexed up marketed product that has no soul and substance and don't have a notion of what supporting a football club is actually about and is only a detriment to the progress domestic game in this country as a result.

what makes it so much worse and painful is that people who are actually making an effort to go games and to actively support an Irish club are getting criticized and insulted over it like on this forum and in public. some of the stick i got of mates and people who i don't know last weekend for wearing my Shels jersey in a pub was ****ing unreal, wasn't just banter, barstoolers genuinely think there is something wrong with you if you don't only support an English club

DesF wrote:
    :confused:

I don't understand this post eb.

Could you re-word it or something, I'm having an awful time parsing it or something, cheers.
    How did you start supporting Shels?

For starters in this forum, it is ALWAYS the LOI fans getting on their horses and ridiculing other people for their support of English teams. thats where this thread went to the dogs, when Des got his knickers in a twist and went on a little rant.

I'm hard pushed to think of an instance in the last few months where a LOI was abused here simply cause of the team they support (apart from by other LOI fans)

well thats fair enough about the barstoolers giving ya stick, don't blame ya for being pissed off about that. But maybe as a reaction to that, you shouldn't come on here and start belittling people you don't even know about how they support their teams?

For starters in this forum, it is ALWAYS the LOI fans getting on their horses and ridiculing other people for their support of English teams. thats where this thread went to the dogs, when Des got his knickers in a twist and went on a little rant.
    DesF and others were making harmless banter about the irony of the Larsson adoring Celtic fans who are supporting Celtic by virtue of the clubs Irish connection but yet are supporting a Swedish club over an actual Irish club, it was ntlbell who was the first person to get their knickers in a twist
    I'm hard pushed to think of an instance in the last few months where a LOI was abused here simply cause of the team they support (apart from by other LOI fans)
    I said LOI fans were getting harsh narrow minded comments aimed towards them about the domestic league and for supporting teams in their own country, it has happened in this thread by...
    And you my friend are a slave to mediocrity, if not utter s**te
    well thats fair enough about the barstoolers giving ya stick, don't blame ya for being pissed off about that. But maybe as a reaction to that, you shouldn't come on here and start belittling people you don't even know about how they support their teams?
    did you bother to read my post above?

i'm not ranting about people who actually support their teams, i'm ranting at people who claim falsely to ''support'' teams they only ever see through a sky tv screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

eirebhoy wrote:
    I think that's the main point of the post so you went a bit ott with the reply. :D

Precisely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

eirebhoy wrote:

Im actually not one of your stereotypical EL fans though, I was a massive Man U fan till 99, lived in Galway till I was 12, all I heard about the EL was a Galway ManCity friendly that I went to and there was a bit of noise about Galways cup run in the early 90s, started playing for Bohs schoolboys when I was 12, there for one season, decided to start going to Bohs games a few years later when we were bottom of the league, it had gotten really boring supporting ManU.

I see where both sides are coming from but I do think the sky followers are getting a bit too upset as the truth does hit home a bit. I find it bizarre that in everything else the Irish are so anti English but when it comes to League football its the opposite. Would actually love to see how far the league could go in europe etc if half of the people that followed the epl turned up in an el ground the odd friday night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Heh had a fun conversation today about this whilst reading about the celtic fans in one of the papers.

I tried to sum up what was funny to a lad in work.

" Some irish people supporting a scottish team were at a game between an irish and swedish team and they were supporting the Swedish team who had a a swedish player who played for a scottish club vs an irish team " :confused:

Makes sense if you dont think about it.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Dropped in to this forum for the first time in a while. Quickly reminded of why I avoid it after reading this thread. Cheers!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

So Drogheda have a bit of work to do in the second leg.............wait I'm off topic , actually I'm not but the last 4 pages would indicate I am .

It'll be tough away from home for Drogs , and hopefully Doolin sticks to 4-4-2 and has Drogs go at them from the start . There is a good chance he'll go 4-5-1 and hope to nick a goal , but I get the feeling that will only result in a 0-0 draw and that would be the end of Drogs European run .

Big Ears wrote:
    So Drogheda have a bit of work to do in the second leg.............wait I'm off topic , actually I'm not but the last 4 pages would indicate I am .

Oddly when theres 3 sets of fans at a football match it would be expected that the thread would head that way.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Heh had a fun conversation today about this whilst reading about the celtic fans in one of the papers.

I tried to sum up what was funny to a lad in work.

" Some irish people supporting a scottish team were at a game between an irish and swedish team and they were supporting the Swedish team who had a a swedish player who played for a scottish club vs an irish team " :confused:

Makes sense if you dont think about it.

kdjac
    That's just lying to the lad in work then. :) There were a few thousand there to support Drogheda. Maybe a hundred there to support Helsingborgs. And 40-50 to watch and support their idol.

Just watching El Clownerino John Delaney on TG4 at half time in the Waherfur/Sligo match.

He said attendances at eL games are up 30% this season. Can those of you who attend Pemier Division games lend any credence to that? Are crowds up at all? Or is Delaney peddling propaganda?

I reckon Shels have been getting fantastic crowds for Div1 this season. They've been down a bit in July/Aug, but that's to be expected given the time of year I suppose.

That's down to the good work of Noel Mooney and the CPOs, and in fairness, I myself think that Mooney does do a great job.

Soccer is the sport with the highest participation in the country, with 450,000 thousand people playing the game, the trick, says John, is to get these people to start going to games.

eirebhoy wrote:
    That's just lying to the lad in work then. :) There were a few thousand there to support Drogheda. Maybe a hundred there to support Helsingborgs. And 40-50 to watch and support their idol.

But the paradox is still correct about irish people supporting a swedish player who played in scotland against an irish team.

Des its lies, our attds are worse than last season as are most other clubs. It will come good soon enough.

kdjac

eirebhoy wrote:
    How did you start supporting Shels?
    OK thanks.

Well, it's not ingrained in my family, my father is a Liverpool man, and yes, I do give him as much grief as I dish out here:)

One Sunday afternoon in the early nineties a kid I used to pal around with told me his brother was taking him down to Tolka Park to watch some football, I was probably about twelve. I just headed down with them, I can't even remember the opponents or the score, but I do know I caught the bug of the League of Ireland, Gabriel Egan of a Sunday afternoon and all.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    There were a few thousand there to support Drogheda. Maybe a hundred there to support Helsingborgs. And 40-50 to watch and support their idol.
    Not having a go at all here, but were you at the game eb?

Oh and just to add to my previous comment about Delaney. Some of them Scottish Celtic supporters must be here for the weekend, there was a big St Andrew's cross hanging behind him during his interview. :)

• Advertisement

EB is a closet Pats fan, dunno how noone ever copped that :D

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Des its lies, our attds are worse than last season as are most other clubs. It will come good soon enough.
    When yiz start paying fans to come is it, with yer new found wealth.
    KdjaCL wrote:
    EB is a closet Pats fan, dunno how noone ever copped that :D
    Ah no, I knew that.

DesF wrote:
    When yiz start paying fans to come is it, with yer new found wealth.

Would you pay €20 into Richmond? I certainly wouldnt and about 1000 regulars feel the same way. Too late to change that but they have to lower prices for next season, we have a budget of 2 mil pa for next 5 years when Special K then expects to the club to start making money :D

kdjac

I hope yiz build a carpark big enough for a couple of bandwagons so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Just to go back on/off topic, does anyone here follow the English NT instead of the Irish NT cos they have better players/more success/better facilities/nicer chips?

Would it be strange if someone did?

• Advertisement
Advertisement