Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drogheda United vs Helsingsborgs

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

What's an NT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

National Team.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

DesF wrote:
    OK thanks.

Well, it's not ingrained in my family, my father is a Liverpool man, and yes, I do give him as much grief as I dish out here:)

One Sunday afternoon in the early nineties a kid I used to pal around with told me his brother was taking him down to Tolka Park to watch some football, I was probably about twelve. I just headed down with them, I can't even remember the opponents or the score, but I do know I caught the bug of the League of Ireland, Gabriel Egan of a Sunda afternoon and all.
    There you are. You started supporting them as a kid. The same time in their life 99% of people start supporting the team they do. You can't slag off someone for a choice they made when hardly had the sense to make their own decisions. We'd have very few smokers in this country if it wasn't for the choices people make in their teens.
    Zebra3 wrote:
    Just to go back on/off topic, does anyone here follow the English NT instead of the Irish NT cos they have better players/more success/better facilities/nicer chips?

Would it be strange if someone did?
    I don't think anyone actually logically decides to support a premiership club because of the standard of football. They support the team they do because someone in their family, a friend or whatever told them it was a good idea when they were about 10 years old. The reason they don't watch an Irish club match on telly may have to do with the standard though. I don't know.

eirebhoy wrote:
    The reason they don't watch an Irish club match on telly may have to do with the standard though. I don't know.

I think it has something to do with leaving the house, but thats my opinion most PL fans i know have never been to see their teams play. I always never listen to their opinions on football or anything related to football i consider them clueless. On this board some people who support PL teams actually go and watch their teams play and actually say X was **** because they seen X play. Most others wouldnt have a clue that X was **** as they only seen highlights or tv footage.

Going back to my ancient example Andy Cole one of the best forwards i ever seen in my life but ask to 75% of manutd fans he was ****, the other 25% who went to games would seriously disagree. lol fun thread idea :D

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    lol fun thread idea :D
    Yeah I'd say the mods would love that.....oh wait...

DesF wrote:
    Yeah I'd say the mods would love that.....oh wait...

banned

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    banned

kdjac
    :D

You can't ban me, the mod conspiracy man, the mod conspiracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

KdjaCL wrote:
    Des its lies, our attds are worse than last season as are most other clubs. It will come good soon enough.

So are you saying the attendances thread on Foot.ie(which believe it or not is where the FAI are getting their figuires) is inaccurate and people are purposely overestimating attendances in a 'my team is better than your team' way ?

Big Ears wrote:
    So are you saying the attendances thread on Foot.ie(which believe it or not is where the FAI are getting their figuires) is inaccurate and people are purposely overestimating attendances in a 'my team is better than your team' way ?
    What?

As part of the Participation agreement all clubs have to submit official atendance to the FAI.

There's no way in hell the FAI are taking stats from foot.ie, I know from meetings with the FAI that they hate that forum as much as I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

DesF wrote:
    What?

As part of the Participation agreement all clubs have to submit official atendance to the FAI.

There's no way in hell the FAI are taking stats from foot.ie, I know from meetings with the FAI that they hate that forum as much as I do.

I'm aware of the official figures but I'm almost certain Mooney asked could he use the figures taken from there when he first released the attendances up 30% news(back much earlier in the season) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

After a round of derby games early in the season the attendances were genuinly up 30% so the FAI compiled the data and released it. That's not the case anymore since a round and a half of games have passed. I don't see anything wrong with the white lie though, it's delaney's job to build a bit of hype around the league and push the good news stories.

Also, it was the Genesis Report which took figures from foot.ie but having experienced both sets of figures being compiled, I'd trust foot.ie ahead of the official numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I see The Laney managed to pop his head onto the telly earlier just in time to present the MOTM award before popping out of camera again, presumably up to the bar in the RSC where his local team serve cold beer free of charge from a fridge in an invite-only bar with no licence. But sure it could be worse.

There will always be people like Benedict who think Premiership fans are simply a superior breed, sadly they drop the standards now and again, and God help anyone who strokes the fat guy's prawn sambo, or spills some hotdog sauce on his new nike top

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_GBWwOwpv0Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,956 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Bateman wrote:

Apparently it was Oirish Manchester fans kicking it off with their Norwegian counterparts over who are the biggest blow-ins and the most undeserving of tickets.

Heard the lads from Oslo tried to hang up Norwegian flags with MUFC on them and the Oirish lads took great exception to this as a betrayal of such a fine Oirish institution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

DesF wrote:
    I give up on this thread, and I give up on Oirish people.

I won't be on threads on this forum about the subject of LoI and it's non support in it's own country again.

I know who I support. I'm not a fan, I'm a supporter. I support my team, my league.

I don't care about the shít facilities, I get to watch real live football every week, you can keep your barstool or couch and your endless re-runs and analysis by Jamie fúcking Redknapp and other bland Sky slaves.

I don't care about Johnny Superstar and his overpaid, prima donna lifestyle. I know the lads who put it in week-in week-out for my club. I know they feel something for the shirt they are wearing, and aren't just picking up the paltry wages at the end of the week for the sake of it.

You can keep your Premier League glitz and glamour, it leaves me feeling empty and unfulfilled, give me a cold wet saturday afternoon in Cobh any time.

Watching games on tv is absolutely nothing compared to standing in the terraces actually supporting your team. Do you think Fernando Torres or Robin van Persie or Cristiano Ronaldo or even Roy Keane cares how many viewers Sky get every week? Of course they don't.

Do you think going to Villa Park, or Old Trafford or White Heart Lane once every five months, or more likely once every five years, means you are a proper supporter? Like hell it does. You are nothing but a slave to the corporation.

You may know who played in the 1955 FA Cup second round game for your club, but who cares, if you are not actively involved with supporting your club on a weekly, no daily, basis, then you can't call yourself a supporter. You don't support the club, you are a fanboi, nothing more.

This is what i'm talking about this the exact moronic LOI attitude that continues to push people away from LOI
    I support my local LOI team,I often attend LOI matches that don't involve my local team.
    ,I support Manchster united, I now have intrest in what sunderland are doing.

Btut I don't need to blatantly ignore everything outside of LOI and constantly drone on about irish people and there atttidude to fooball it's none of my buisness, you don't like watching sky sprts or english football thats fine, but don't talk absoloute crap people who do or prefer to watch it.

enjoy yer LOI football but stop with the same old droney moaning about the EPL. people who watch epl or spanish leagues or whatever there poison let them get on with it you don't have to have a weekly cry about why yer gate is so low because of these people.

stop the LOI snobbery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

ntlbell wrote:
    people who do or prefer to watch it.

They are totally different. Most people who support LOI support other teams as well, but people who choose foreign football over Irish football directly contribute to why the English Premiership is so succesful, why Irish domestic football is so unsuccesful, and same for the national teams.

DesF wrote:
    What?

Eh they are but if you look at the attd over the last 3 years its less.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Bateman wrote:
    They are totally different. Most people who support LOI support other teams as well, but people who choose foreign football over Irish football directly contribute to why the English Premiership is so succesful, why Irish domestic football is so unsuccesful, and same for the national teams.

But putting them down a football fans and consntatly bashing them with this snobbery attitude is not to convert them

bring them two a game let them expereince what it's like to jump up and down and go crazy as in a stand full of fans cheering on the same team the togetherness etc.

there's lots of ways, but if you have no intrest in converting them then just leave them too it, as i said weekly rants about how much of an idiot thy're is pointless and a waste of time

ntlbell wrote:
    But putting them down a football fans and consntatly bashing them with this snobbery attitude is not to convert them

Dont read many of the comments by PL fans towards us then? "EL is ****" "your all mad for supporting ****" etc:

Lepers get better treatment :D

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

anyway sorry for going off topic but the game was good. larrrrrson had one half chance and he took it very very well. first half they shaded it i think we gave them too much respect. 2nd half i taught we would get the winner and zayed and robbo were just superb.

overall i think we have nothing to fear in the second leg and are going over there with more than a fighting chance. I am going over for the second leg so hopefully i will get to witness a historic victory:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement