Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law as a post-grad

• 16-08-2007 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

I'm in the middle of my arts degree at the moment, but I've always wanted to do law.(didn't get the points)

i was wondering how hard is it to get into law with a degree under your belt? would you have to have work experience in a law firm, or something along those lines? has anyone any experience with getting into a 2nd degree course?
    thanks in advance

Comments

Might be worthwhile asking yourself what exactly you're looking to get out of the law degree. Is it to become a solicitor or a barrister?

You don't need to have a law degree in order to do these, you can apply on the back of your first degree. The downside of doing a 2nd degree course is that you'd have to pay full fees for the 3 or 4 years that you'd be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭2rs

Portobello and UL offer 2 year LLBs if you have a recognised degree already I think

Check out the Legal Discussion forum for lots of info on the pros and cons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

thanks for the info, that sounds perfect for me, and it'd only be 2 years fees so not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

Myth wrote:
    Might be worthwhile asking yourself what exactly you're looking to get out of the law degree. Is it to become a solicitor or a barrister?

You don't need to have a law degree in order to do these, you can apply on the back of your first degree.

This is true for the entrance exams for the law society (solicitor) but you cannot sit the entrance exams to do the professional training for barristers at Kings Inns without an approved law degree or the Kings Inns 2 year diploma in legal studies which is comprehensive and intense.

Passing the law society entrance exams is no mean feat for most law students, especially those with other non-law degrees. However, there are many training courses at Griffith, Portobello etc. etc. that specialize in getting people geared up for these exams.

Advertisement