Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda CRX Vs Toyota MR2

Options
  • 16-08-2007 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

I have decided to buy myself a toy. I have looked around and found a couple of cars I like.
    The MR2 and CRX fit the bill as they are so far removed from what I drive during the week and are impractical enough to make sure I wont drive them for work.

Does anyone drive either of these, what are the good and bad points?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I owned a CRX Del Sol - do not make of the mistake of reading glowing reviews of CRX's and thinking they are about these - they are rubbish as sports cars.

The coupe 3dr models are a different kettle of fish - I have driven one for a short spin only, fast and fun but I didn't get a long enough spin to form any worthwhile opinion.

If your after an open top, of these two I would go with the MR2 I have driven a few and like them (particulary mk1) - but to be honest imo an MX5 is better than either if you want open top fun. ( I've had one of these too - really superb )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Yah Del Sols aren't great.

CRX 1.6 Vtec = amazing though.

Not too familiar about years and models. My friend has one though, and it is the most enjoyable drive i've ever had. You feel safe but on the limit at the same time. You are so low to the ground, going so fast, yet assured by the car that it will not leave the road.

Get one !

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭booooonzo

Owned a 1.6 sir Del Sol and now have a mr2 MKII GT and i would give anything for my del sol back!!

On our roads its just much more fun and soo much cheaper to run and fix!
    Granted the mr2 eats it but the sound of the del sol makes up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

My 2 cents:

Ive driven the MR2... its a great car if you wanna have some fun in the summer (if we get a summer) get a T-Bar version, great for summer drives

havnt driven the CRX so I cant really judge between the 2

but you will like the MR2 :D

were you thinking about a Turbo charged or naturally aspirated one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I've driven both a Mk2 MR2 and Mk2 CRX. I don't think you'd be disappointed by either. They are completely different cars tho. MR2 is bigger and heavier and feels it.

Good luck with finding a CRX in good nick tho, esp a DOHC VTEC (the only one worth considering).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I had a CRX Del Sol SiR (1.6vtec)

It was fairly nippy, and the electric roof looked cool, but it wasn't a very pleasant drive. The roof rattled, and you could feel every bump in the road. I've heard great things about the Mk2 CRXs though, but I prefer the look of the Toyota MR2..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

they're two very different cars and a test drive of both will show that. As for which one, it just depends what your looking for. The CRX shows their age now, but the 1.6 vtec engine makes up for it. The mr2 have dated a bit better and the MK2 still looks modern. Mid mounted RWD set-up of the MR2 is a joy to drive and would edge it for me.

**cough**VVVVVVV sig VVVVVV**cough**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Gorgeous car in the sig Senna... *drools*

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Haven't driven a CRX but i have a MR2 T-Bar. Mark my words - if you get the MR2 with a T-Bar then it will never cease to put a smile on your face - especially with the roof off on a nice balmy summers evening!

Nice and quick too with handling to match if you find you're in the mood. Couldn't use it as my primary car though - too impractical when you need a boot for something bigger than a small bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'd say go for the rev3 MR2 if you have another car for your normal day to day driving and only want something for fun at the weekends, the crx is a great little car but seeing as (I think) your only looking for a toy to play with at weekends I'd say the MR2 would do better, would be more expensive to run etc.. but if your not relying on it then it doesn't really matter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

ive Driven all versions of the MR2 turbo and normally aspirated and i currently own a CRX Del sol sir, and being honest neither are worth considering unless you get either the del sol sir or the turbochargerd MR2 the lower powered models are boring to drive, you wont be disapointed with either car as long as you get the good engined ones

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

OP are you considering a 12t/2nd gen CRX or the Del Sol? They are very different cars, the 1st/2nd gen is considered the better car.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

Hi Quarryman, my original post was last august, i have been the proud owner of a CRX since.
    I looked at lots of both MR2(MKII) and CRX, I could not find an MR2 that had not been abused/modified so I went for a CRX, what really sold me on it was that during my test drive I had a specular skid, too much accelerator not enough traction!
    The CRX is a fun car, it is nippy and good crack on sunny days. The roof rattle was a bit of an issue but is easy solved with silicone grease every so often.
    I still have a soft spot for the MR2 but am glad I went the route I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭rogue.goofball

What year of CRX and what engine did you go for?

Advertisement