Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legal advice on title deed search

Options
  • 16-08-2007 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I am trying to contact two owners of some agricultural land with a property attached but I am having difficulty with finding further information.

I have done a land search and know the two current owners names and the folio number etc. unfortunately their address and contact details are for the property in question which is now abandoned.

I have asked and questioned around but I can confidently say that No locals have any further contact details for the couple.

Bit of a mystery? The land registry can not legally let me see who the solicitor was for the sale. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed with either a people search or possibly an advertisement in the law gazette for example?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Look up Thom's directory. They might have another name/company. Have you knocked on the property's door?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

wildwords wrote:
    I am trying to contact two owners of some agricultural land with a property attached but I am having difficulty with finding further information.

I have done a land search and know the two current owners names and the folio number etc. unfortunately their address and contact details are for the property in question which is now abandoned.

I have asked and questioned around but I can confidently say that No locals have any further contact details for the couple.

Bit of a mystery? The land registry can not legally let me see who the solicitor was for the sale. Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed with either a people search or possibly an advertisement in the law gazette for example?:confused:

But I thought it was just hypothetical :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If its "agricultural" land, then surly some local farmer is renting it or owns it or knows who does.

Or if its totally wild and overgrown and no-one has seen anyone there in living memory..well you know what I'd consider if your thinking along the same lines as me..
    I'm currently doing research on such a place, but its slow work making sure that its genuinely abandoned/forgotten about, or the original owner emigrated and has long since passed away.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Rhonda9000

Longfield wrote:
    If its "agricultural" land, then surly some local farmer is renting it or owns it or knows who does.

Or if its totally wild and overgrown and no-one has seen anyone there in living memory..well you know what I'd consider if your thinking along the same lines as me..
    I'm currently doing research on such a place, but its slow work making sure that its genuinely abandoned/forgotten about, or the original owner emigrated and has long since passed away.

Even with this you can't be sure - the 'original' owner may have passed away and the land may have been distributed according to their will or intestacy. Perhaps it passed to a child with no interest in the land until they need to build a home? etc. etc. etc. You just never know ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Only a solicitor can give legal advice.

Ask local solicitors /gardaí / priests. Google the owners. Hire a private detective.
    wildwords wrote:
    The land registry can not legally let me see who the solicitor was for the sale.
    Write a letter, put it in an envelope with a stamp (realise it could be out of the country). Go to the land registry and ask them to address and post it, without letting you see it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 wildwords

Thanks for the replies,

I’ve tried all local farmers and neighbours and institutions, but to no avail! I am trying to avoid employing a private detective as I wonder what would they do in the case which I could not?

phone books, electoral registers birth and deaths records?

the closed envelope is a good idea although I doubt that the registrar will allow it because the law is in place to keep the identity of the owner secret , away from all prying eyes like my self and prevent unsolicited contact..

any more ideas welcome..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have you tried the local priest and publicain?

tried em all , priest publican and guards. the owners never realy lived there they just bought it as a holiday home possibly? all the locals who did have some contact with them dont have contact details... its a big mystery in the neighbourhood..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Did you search company records for their names? Might throw up something. You could try a company info service or PM me their names.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

wildwords wrote:
    the closed envelope is a good idea although I doubt that the registrar will allow it because the law is in place to keep the identity of the owner secret , away from all prying eyes like my self and prevent unsolicited contact.
    I understood it was there to allow privacy, not to prevent contact as such.

Have you tried the planning department in the council or alternatively ask a councillor to ask the council (this makes your search publis).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

If you have a copy of the folio it might indicate the solicitor who held the Land Certificate (if issued), chances are they dealt with any transaction. You are entitled to look up any completed or pending dealings on the folio via the land registry; you won't get much detail but it may point you in the right direction. I deal with the land reg/registry of deeds all the time, if I can be of any help let me know.

I was in the land registry and got a copy of the folio but the attendant couldn’t let me see the name of the solicitor! He stated that only the solicitor acting on behalf of the owner or the actual owner was entitled to see the name of the original solicitor. If that makes any sense? When looking up completed dealings would they indicate the solicitor who handled the particular dealing? If I can get a name of one of the previous solicitors I might be able to trace the last solicitor through the chain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Completed dealings will always name the lodging solicitor. PM me and I'll see what I can do.

Advertisement