Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hair dying - need advice

• 16-08-2007 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

I want to dye my hair (darker than natural colour) but can't decide to get it done professionally or home dye..

I heard that if you put too many home dyes in your hair your scalp falls off????!!!! Not to mention sometimes they don't last more than 6 weeks.

But with professional it can cost up to £90, so is it worth paying that much for a pro dye? Does it last permantly?

thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Some home dyes last 6 weeks the permant ones are the same as a salon dye and last until you grow your hair or dye it again.

You can have an algeric reaction to the dye and loose hair which is why the home dye instruct you to have a test done and any good salon will do a est before they dye your hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭car39

been dyeing the hair for years and use to use home dyes although they are cheaper they are haid to put in by yourself and i was told by hairdresser they are harsh on the hair.i started getting it done professionally and its costing about 100 a month but it looks better.if you have hair that is strong and in good condition(which i dont) i would try the home dyes for a awhile, you purse will be fuller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

home dyes are usually grand,i use them all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Depends if you have residual hair dye in your hair... I think if you are making a drastic colour change you should have it done professionally first time. Try some of the teaching salons where the apprentices are fully monitored as it may be cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

if you are going to colour your hair darker you would be better off having it done in the salon.
    home colours are just harsher on the hair than salon colour. salon colour is designed to help keep the hair in good condition.
    permanent colours grow out of your hair (leaving roots) but depending on how quick your hair grows you could get between 4 & 12 weeks out of one salon colour.
    i personally would say its worth it. having it done professionally and i do understand its expensive but if you do it at home and make a mess you wil have to have it fixed anyway!!
    even the first time have it done in the salon and see how you get on.:D

as for your scalp falling off ive been hairdressing 8 years and have never heard that one!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I dye my hair at home, no problems. I dye mine darker as well, but only a few shades and to a warmer hue. I use Boot Botantics - it's cheap, and it supposed to be a bit better for your hair. I use the Bitter Chocolate Colour, but after a week it get more auburny looking. But then my roots don't show too much and I can wait more than 6 weeks before I dye again. I found the same to be the case with other store ones (except they held the proper brown for a bit longer).

Salons are great, their colours are a lot less harsh on the hair, and most of the time they can correct the colour if you're not happy with it (provided it's done their).

Have you even thought of henna dye? Lush (on Grafton St or Henry St) sell henna - one's specificly for darkening hair (to brown or blackish). You can order online from www.lush.co.uk . It's a bit messy, but at least you're hair would thank you! One note of caution though - you have a wait a good while after dying with henna to use any store or salon hair colours and visa versa, as it can make your hair go a colour you didn't intend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

I have dyed my hair black with home dye for about 10yrs now. My first dye i used was nice n' easy black when i was 15yrs old. I then used various black dyes. When i was 20ys i used nice n' easy again after years and had a severe allergic reaction to it. One side of my face was swollen and my eye closed up. I had to go to the hospital to have 3 injections and it took 2 weeks to heal. I thought i was disfigured for life, i looked like the elephant man! :eek:

I really think this hair dye brand nice' easy should be taken off the market, they have added new chemicals to it and its very severe. I know many girls who have complained about it. :mad:

I now use 100% color by Garnier. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭sarz55

I have dyed my hair black with home dye for about 10yrs now. My first dye i used was nice n' easy black when i was 15yrs old. I then used various black dyes. When i was 20ys i used nice n' easy again after years and had a severe allergic reaction to it. One side of my face was swollen and my eye closed up. I had to go to the hospital to have 3 injections and it took 2 weeks to heal. I thought i was disfigured for life, i looked like the elephant man! :eek:

I really think this hair dye brand nice' easy should be taken off the market, they have added new chemicals to it and its very severe. I know many girls who have complained about it. :mad:

I now use 100% color by Garnier. :D

that is horrific! i've used nice and easy lots of times in the past, i found that it made my scalp burn the more i used it, thats why i'm now scared of putting home dyes in my hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I used nice n easy before and the colour lasted like a week.

OP- get your hair done in a salon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

If you're dyeing your hair for the first time you might want to try a temporary colour first. I know it only lasts about 4-6 weeks but it is cheaper, it's less harsh on your hair and if you find that you dislike the colour or anything, it's very easy to remedy as it eventually washes out.

Anyway, after you get a temp colour in 2-3 times, the colour does start building up in your hair and so it stops washing out and you only have to colour it when your roots start to show. That's my experience anyway. After a while, I find you get a good amount of time out of it and there's no peroxide or ammonia involved, which your hair thanks you for.

If you wanna try it, Peter Mark does a temp colour for about €55 I think.

• Advertisement
Advertisement