Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, I'm going to D.I.T, need advice.

Options
  • 16-08-2007 6:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

So, presuming I get my first choice, which I should considering I cleared the points by a decent chunk, I want to go and do Comp Sci at D.I.T.

Firstly, Accomodation, the only place I even know of so far in Dublin RE student accomodation is The Gateway, which SEEMS like it's too good to be true, does anyone have any opinions on this place/past experience? Also, findahome.ie has a college section but needs DIT login to access, is there ANY hope of me getting into this to try and find accomodation there?

Secondly, opinions of the course, I know two people who do Comp Sci in Trinity and they've told me loads about their course, is the D.I.T course wildly different?

Thirdly, any special things I should avail of / take advantage of as a college student? A friend of mine has so far given me one bit of useful advice, and that's to get a B.O.I bank account, to avail of the free student travel pass. Just general tidbits like this will probably save my life, as being a bit of a home shut in I need all the help I can get ! :)

Thanks guys in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

password for DIT section of findahome.ie is: pembroke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭VroomVroom

The Student Union posters about accommodation in Dublin and the different areas of Dublin are fairly good. They seem to be a combination of a few of these links from the www.ditsu.ie website:

Locations of DIT Buildings
    http://www.ditsu.ie/docuploads/acclocation.pdf

Accommodation Checklist
    http://www.ditsu.ie/docuploads/Accommodation_Checklist.pdf

There is some on www.dit.ie on the Campus section.
    http://www.dit.ie/DIT/students/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Secondly, opinions of the course, I know two people who do Comp Sci in Trinity and they've told me loads about their course, is the D.I.T course wildly different?

the course can vary from person to person. the core subjects will be the same anywhere, you do lots of programming and come out with a good understanding of C++, Java etc. so that you can go "attack" the real world. there are other things like understanding operating systems, hardware (to a small extent) etc. etc.

then of course there's the stupid additions every course seems to have like marketing and business that do nothing to aide your career and really just end up as filler.

if you're interested you should do fine, but the moment you lose any interest you'll be crying to get out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Oi, those 'stupid additions' got me a Spanish certificate! :)

The Operating Systems subject is very interesting. I think it's taught in second year, which is arguably the toughest year of that course. Or, maybe it just seems tough because the first year is so God-damn easy!

Kevin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they've made first year harder and second year easier now.

first years now do web development 1 and operating systems.

web dev 1 i think includes the old web dev course (taught in 2nd year) to include these topics, HTML/xHTML/CSS/javascript. then in second year they do server side scripting and database and ajax.

this year's second year was quite funny because we done all the above topics in the second semester, leading to people not being sure on most of the content leading to a quite dislike to the subject.

second year is now the 12 old subjects split into two semesters you'll have OOP in both semesters and then the other subjects will split and run for one semester.

Cremo wrote:
    they've made first year harder and second year easier now.

first years now do web development 1 and operating systems.

web dev 1 i think includes the old web dev course (taught in 2nd year) to include these topics, HTML/xHTML/CSS/javascript. then in second year they do server side scripting and database and ajax.

this year's second year was quite funny because we done all the above topics in the second semester, leading to people not being sure on most of the content leading to a quite dislike to the subject.

second year is now the 12 old subjects split into two semesters you'll have OOP in both semesters and then the other subjects will split and run for one semester.

That actually sounds pretty awesome, javascript and CSS have always interested me and I think web development is pretty cool.

The subjects I've been told about by Trinity students are the ones that seem bloody ****e, like Computers In Society (Bull**** subject) and random pointless crap like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Taekwon-joe

Just checked the CAO this morning and I have been accepted for CS. The points are now only 210 (http://www.rte.ie/cao/) and I got 440 :D. I just hope it won't be full of loafers thinking its going to be a walk in the park. Also I hear the dropout rate is quite high, is that true?

Anyway it sounds interesting. I can't wait. I'll probably see you there randomcountdown.

drop out rate is quite high, it is for most computer related courses.

i blame people who think "uh i can use bebo i can be a computer scientist".

just so you know there's a good bit of maths behind CS. as two people walked out of my induction when they heard that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Cremo wrote:
    just so you know there's a good bit of maths behind CS. as two people walked out of my induction when they heard that.

I just hope I will be able to cope with the maths:o
    I mean, I am no genius at maths, but I can work comfortably with maths when I need to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Cremo wrote:
    drop out rate is quite high, it is for most computer related courses.

i blame people who think "uh i can use bebo i can be a computer scientist".

What about Myspace? If i can use that and make fancy backgrounds can i be a computer scientist?
    Cremo wrote:

If true and true is true, and true or false is true, what is the tautology of this statement??

I know two guys who do the course in TCD and a mate who does the Comp Games Dev in Letterkenny, and everything I've been told by both about the maths and the programming sounds manageable, but I'll wait and see.
    I'm not an "I can use bebo lawl i r comp scientist", I can handle myself pretty well and have pretty good experience with most stuff (Help admin Midlans), but no programming.

orla wrote:
    What about Myspace? If i can use that and make fancy backgrounds can i be a computer scientist?

OMG!!! i cAn blog and use my C.P.U to play the sims:D

Naikon wrote:
    I just hope I will be able to cope with the maths:o
    I mean, I am no genius at maths, but I can work comfortably with maths when I need to.

imo most of the maths you learn in school doesn't not help very much with CS maths.

just know your x to the power of y's and you should pick the rest up easy.
    orla wrote:
    well they give out special awards for girls :p
    orla wrote:
    If true and true is true, and true or false is true, what is the tautology of this statement??
    ahh i see you're revising so ;)

Cremo wrote:
    imo most of the maths you learn in school doesn't not help very much with CS maths.

just know your x to the power of y's and you should pick the rest up easy.

Higher level calculas and basic probelem solving knowledge will get your through it.
    Cremo wrote:
    well they give out special awards for girls :p
    Is that why they gave me a student achievement award this year? :p
    Cremo wrote:
    ahh i see you're revising so ;)

I have no repeats this year. I am however offering grinds at a very reasonable price. :D

Cremo wrote:

Is that why "discrete maths" is so heavily linked to CS?
    Yeah, I reckon I should be Ok if I attend all the lectures and actually do work.

*touches wood*:D

Off Topic?

right few tips...

* join netsoc, best two euros i spent i think.

allows you to access your college drive at home through putty/winscp and it has saved my ass a couple of times when projects were due, a lot of assignments are collected - by use of a script - from your college drive by lecturers having access to your college drive at home will mean you don't really need to be in college on due dates unless the lecturer has specified it or wanted a hard copy of a report or something.

* when the SU shop has jolt cans in, don't buy them bottles are nicer :p

* when walking into a lab ask if there is a lab on in there, nothing more annoying when people just randomly walk in when you're doing your lab work, there are a few unfriendly folks who'll speak up for most people in the lab ;)

* if you want a locker get one on the first day, i left it about a week and i had a ****ty locker with a broken hinge on the 4th floor. granted i didn't really need it so i just threw rubbish into it and heraldAM's/metro's.

* expect really bad jokes in your first programming lecture.

* respect your elders too.

Cremo wrote:
    right few tips...

allows you to access your college drive at home through putty/winscp and it has saved my ass a couple of times when projects were due, a lot of assignments are collected - by use of a script - from your college drive by lecturers having access to your college drive at home will mean you don't really need to be in college on due dates unless the lecturer has specified it or wanted a hard copy of a report or something.

* when walking into a lab ask if there is a lab on in there, nothing more annoying when people just randomly walk in when you're doing your lab work, there are a few unfriendly folks who'll speak up for most people in the lab ;)

* if you want a locker get one on the first day, i left it about a week and i had a ****ty locker with a broken hinge on the 4th floor. granted i didn't really need it so i just threw rubbish into it and heraldAM's/metro's.

Cool, I will make certain to apply for netsoc:)
    I drink Jolt cola too and I must admit it is crap from the can but nice from the bottle.
    All advice has been Duly noted.

*btw, putty is a very nifty program I have to admit*

Is the Netsoc the same as organisation as the TCD one? Or is that a different intercollege CS group?

• Advertisement

Naikon wrote:
    I drink Jolt cola too and I must admit it is crap from the can but nice from the bottle.
    IT WORKED HAHAHA, sorry no they never get cans in and i can't stand drinking jolt/coke from anything but a can, so i'm getting everyone on to bottles so...
    Is the Netsoc the same as organisation as the TCD one? Or is that a different intercollege CS group?
    different, just same name.

Cremo wrote:
    right few tips...

Not sure if it'll be around this year. I don't think anyone has shown an interest in running it this year.
    Cremo wrote:
    Buy red bpm. It's much nicer.
    Cremo wrote:

You wouldn't happen to be talking about me now would ya??

I hate nothing more than pesky little first years (or any other years) playing feckin counter strike etc when i'm trying to get lab work done.

Cremo wrote:

Don't bother getting a locker, you won't need it. You'll have 5books max.
    Cremo wrote:
    He probably won't have the extremly funny lecturer you had in first year.
    Cremo wrote:

Yeh, we wont give you any sort of help with projects/assignments etc if your a snotty little troll.

orla wrote:
    You wouldn't happen to be talking about me now would ya??

I hate nothing more than pesky little first years (or any other years) playing feckin counter strike etc when i'm trying to get lab work done.
    lol i actually wasn't, but i can see how you thunk that :D actually now that i think about it the person i was talking about has left.

orla wrote:

they should only be banned from playing counter strike if they're better then me. not that it particularly matters now.

...i'm just bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

orla wrote:
    Not sure if it'll be around this year. I don't think anyone has shown an interest in running it this year.

Volunteer. Ill help ya...ive oodles of experience listening to Netsoc techies explaining things to me.

And tbh, college needs netsoc.

Counterstrike? Jeesh, get some taste. :P

i recall distributing UT to people, and they didn't bite. plus, when i was there, it wasn't just counterstrike, it was a haxed chinese cs source... which is all the more fun.

reason why cs was picked was because it's the best game that can run on the machines. i think only one room has machines capable of source but that's ****e anyways that's neither here nor there.

i've never found a big problem with gamers in the labs nor do i care if they are playing as long as someone isn't looking for a space or they are not like "OMGZ HE HAX0RZ!!!1one".

Cremo wrote:

i've never found a big problem with gamers in the labs nor do i care if they are playing as long as someone isn't looking for a space or they are not like "OMGZ HE HAX0RZ!!!1one".

Or people who mooch the face of each other at the back of labs. (a certain two 3rd years, lets call them G & A) They make me SICK!
    LOTP wrote:
    Volunteer. Ill help ya...ive oodles of experience listening to Netsoc techies explaining things to me.

And tbh, college needs netsoc.

Yeh maybe i will but i wouldn't have a clue where to begin. I'll pm my msn addy and we can cyber *cough* sorry I mean discuss it further!

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote:
    IT WORKED HAHAHA, sorry no they never get cans in and i can't stand drinking jolt/coke from anything but a can, so i'm getting everyone on to bottles so...

different, just same name.

No, seriously Coke/<_insert soft drink name here_> is far better from a "ice cold" bottle.
    Plastic containers own when it comes to soft drinks, glass is even better.
    Everything else like beer must be draught or if need be from a bottle.
    Maybe I am just weird?:D

Advertisement