Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, I'm going to D.I.T, need advice.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Cremo wrote:
    reason why cs was picked was because it's the best game that can run on the machines. i think only one room has machines capable of source but that's ****e anyways that's neither here nor there.

You speak the unwritten truth:eek:
    the hit boxes just aren't the same, plus the fact that plenty of server's are hosted by 10 year olds:mad:

CS 1.6 > CS:Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

orla wrote:
    Buy red bpm. It's much nicer.

*shudder*
    orla wrote:
    Yeh, we wont give you any sort of help with projects/assignments etc if your a snotty little troll.

Only fair I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

i recall distributing UT to people, and they didn't bite. plus, when i was there, it wasn't just counterstrike, it was a haxed chinese cs source... which is all the more fun.

I like you.

And if CS 1.6 will run, Q3 CPMA on r_picmip 5 will run! TO QUAKE!

So will Quakeworld
    and Starcraft

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I like you.

Don't idolize him too much. He's a college dropout.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

Pop into your union for accommodation stuffs!!!!

There's loads of posters and staff and accommodation listings and everything available for the discerning student type.

Computer Science is cracking fun in Kevin St, alot less maths than the TCD equivalent I think. As for advice - beware the fourth year labs! There be dragons...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

orla wrote:
    Don't idolize him too much. He's a college dropout.

A UT playing college dropout!
    :P
    Pop into your union for accommodation stuffs!!!!

There's loads of posters and staff and accommodation listings and everything available for the discerning student type.

Computer Science is cracking fun in Kevin St, alot less maths than the TCD equivalent I think. As for advice - beware the fourth year labs! There be dragons...

Online, or, actually pop into Kevin Street and have a poke about?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

hey i got into Computer Science in DIT too, want to go for a career in the games industry , hope the course is interesting ..........or else ! , anyway see you in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

why do ITs have to start so goddamn early.i had a choice of DIT or UCC to finish my degree,i hope i made the right choice..but this accomodation malarkey is doing my head in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I hate nothing more than pesky little first years (or any other years) playing feckin counter strike etc when i'm trying to get lab work done.

As well as that apparently homeless weirdo who regularly frequents the 4th floor computer rooms, shouting random abuse at the computer screen.

lots of people playing counter strike i take it . i know all about that in my old college we used the unreal engine for development, so we had Unreal Tournament 2004 on all the pc's , so UT and Alien Swam (ut mod) got played all the time .
    but hey computer games make the world a better place .......or is it they turn us all into killers , hmm not really sure which one mass media are telling us to believe these days .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Dunners

Online, or, actually pop into Kevin Street and have a poke about?

There is alot of information online and using the accommodation@ditsu.ie e-mail address you'll get plenty more. Unfortunately the website isn't great though so you would almost be better popping into the union offices on any of the sites and having a word with the Student Support Advisors there. You're more likely to get a reply in person now as the volume of people coming in at this stage means that the e-mails may only get checked once or twice a day :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

Just checked the CAO this morning and I have been accepted for CS. The points are now only 210 (http://www.rte.ie/cao/) and I got 440 :D. I just hope it won't be full of loafers thinking its going to be a walk in the park. Also I hear the dropout rate is quite high, is that true?

Anyway it sounds interesting. I can't wait. I'll probably see you there randomcountdown.

Congratulations on getting in!

I noticed the points are way down too, but dont let that put you off, its a tough enough course. As for it being full of loafers, yes there are loads of them but theyll be dropping like flies in the first few months, by second year 'most' of them are gone. Especially the ones who thought programming was going to be like something they saw on the matrix. And yes, a guy in first year did say that to me in the first few weeks!!! Suffice to say thats about as long as he lasted.

Best advice is to go to all the lectures. People fail because they dont go to lectures, they'll tell you otherwise but thats the simple truth.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Dunners, as far as I remember, you're doing DT228-4 again right? What's the story with it: Will there be classes during freshers-week? How soon will they have a bloody timetable up?

They still play counter strike in Kevin Street? I remember 7 years ago we used to play it every goddam day in the fourth-floor labs. It got so popular that, at times, half-a-lab could be filled with people playing it. I remember going in one day at 8AM and spending the whole day until closing (10PM) playing it. The last time I was there though, the admin staff had found ways to prevent us installing it.

Kevin.

Kevster wrote:
    Dunners, as far as I remember, you're doing DT228-4 again right? What's the story with it: Will there be classes during freshers-week? How soon will they have a bloody timetable up?

They still play counter strike in Kevin Street? I remember 7 years ago we used to play it every goddam day in the fourth-floor labs. It got so popular that, at times, half-a-lab could be filled with people playing it. I remember going in one day at 8AM and spending the whole day until closing (10PM) playing it. The last time I was there though, the admin staff had found ways to prevent us installing it.

Kevin.

Dunners finished last year. He's now Mr.Vice President of DIT.

I hate people like you who play games in labs when other people are trying to work :mad:

Incorrect; you hate the person I WAS. I gave-up playing games after 1st year and soon began to also hate people who play them. It's good to be on both sides of the argument as I have been; because then you can form a better judgement. My ultimate judgement is that the games should not be played.

Kevin.

................jesus i hope there are not people like that in my class , i will be well hated then , guess i am the one person who sees the benefits of games .

................jesus i hope there are not people like that in my class , i will be well hated then , guess i am the one person who sees the benefits of games .

You'll soon change your mind when you've got 2 or 3 projects to do and you cant get a free computer because someone is playing Counter Strike.

Orla, I agree. When I was doing 4th year of Computer Science in 2004 there were many times when there was no computer available because people were playing games. The fourth year lab is always full too; sometimes by fourth-years also playing games... ...:rolleyes:

I remember once, actually, I locked my PC to go to the toilet. I had been doing some work on the computer. When I came back, some guy had placed my bag at the back of the room and was playing Counter Strike on my computer. He had the nerve to turn-off the PC and play that game. I cursed madly at him and then just left.

Going back into fourth year next weak, I hope the same stuff doesn't happen! :p

orla wrote:
    You'll soon change your mind when you've got 2 or 3 projects to do and you cant get a free computer because someone is playing Counter Strike.

could i not just use my laptop if there where no computers free, or even better just use my laptop to play games , aslo yea i agree the first rule of using a computer in a lap is if your going to the toilet, back everything up, lock it, and tell someone sitting beside you not to let anybody use it .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

you'll be playing on your own if you're going to play on your laptop. that's the whole reason why people use lab pc's is for the NETWORK.

• Advertisement

could i not just use my laptop if there where no computers free, or even better just use my laptop to play games , aslo yea i agree the first rule of using a computer in a lap is if your going to the toilet, back everything up, lock it, and tell someone sitting beside you not to let anybody use it .

Laptops aren't allowed in the labs.

Either is food or drinks, just so your aware.

Cremo wrote:
    you'll be playing on your own if you're going to play on your laptop. that's the whole reason why people use lab pc's is for the NETWORK.

lol of course my laptop haves a NETWORK card ! for both wired and wireless access , i used it in my last college if i wanted to join in for some unreal dm or alien swarm (best UT teamplay mod ) . but Orla your saying laptops are not aloud in labs ? what is the point in that ?

but Orla your saying laptops are not aloud in labs ? what is the point in that ?

What is the point in that? Well em let me see.

[LIST=.]
    [*]The labs themselves aren't wireless enabled.

[*]There's rougly 20 Pc's in each lab. Each PC is connected with an ethernet cable to the network. One connection per computer. The only way you can connect your laptop to the network is to unplug a computer and attach your laptop via ethernet. In doing this, your are not allowing another student use a college computer.

[*]Your not permitted to connect laptops or any other devices to the college network using ethernet cables because of risks of virus' etc.

[/LIST]

The library and Snackery are wireless enabled for students to use their laptops.

It's simple really. COLLEGE computers are for COLLEGE work.

If you want to play your games make sure:
    • Your not preventing somone who might have assignments or projects to hand in from using the computer.
    • Your not making noise. i.e. screaming "PWNED" every five minutes.
    • Your not banging away on the keyboard or mouse and distracting someone else.
    • You don't get caught by a lab supervisor or technician as your user account can be disabled for misconduct.
    • Your not sitting anywhere near me because i'll either just unplug your computer or call one of the technicians.

lol that in no way answers my question , first are laptops actually not aloud ? cause you say they are but dont actually make a point for why there not. ,
    secound the labs are not wireless enabled ! really , i cant believe that , i would have thought for sure they would have done that even with limited access . and i was not making the point that i would disconnected one of the other 20 pcs from the network , i was hopeing the nework hub would be in the room ( was in my last lab ) and there would space on it , so i would not be disconnecting other computers
    i get the they dont want you connecting to the network with an ethernet cable because of viruses , i know what technicians are like.

plus the main point i was making is i would not be too worryed about not getting a pc , since i could just use my laptop (hoping of course i have everything i need on the laptop, and not need to connect to the network)

Right and college computers are for college work , and that is of course right, what if i have to play a game as part of a project lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dr Lektroluv

Yo, take your laptop to Aungier St Library.. problem solved.

yea but i am in kevin street, so lets say all 20 pcs in one of the labs are being used , i guessing there is no problem with me using my laptop.

Considering there is no wireless network in the labs, the only way to connect your laptop to the network in a lab is through the Ethernet RS232 cable. This, however, would involve unplugging one of the desktops from the network (hence, laptops are not allowed). While saying that, I have never seen anyone being told to switch off their laptop when they are just using it unplugged from the network.

However, there is a wireless network available in the canteen. My friend used to always use his there.

oh right , so yea i get there is no wireless network in the labs, hmm like i said was kinda hoping there would have been the network hub in the room , and i could plugged in there when no body was looking ( i.e. no technicians around ) , but i guess i wont be able to even do that , but once i am able to use the laptop i guess thats good enough, Orla made it sound like i would be shot on sight the secound i opened my laptop , even if i was useing it offline ( the interweb is overated anyway , worst comes to worst i can always borrow my brothers broadband card ).

lol that in no way answers my question , first are laptops actually not aloud ? cause you say they are but dont actually make a point for why there not.
    Orla wrote:
    Your not permitted to connect laptops or any other devices to the college network using ethernet cables because of risks of virus' etc.

I thought that I clarified it there.

I'll put it in simple terms.

LAB RULES:
    NO Laptops
    NO Food
    NO Drinks
    NO Gameplaying.
    Right and college computers are for college work , and that is of course right, what if i have to play a game as part of a project lol

It won't be until you get to 3rd year.

If you want to use your laptop in a lab unplugged you'll need to put it on your lap since there is only room for the amount of PC's in the room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

orla wrote:
    Laptops aren't allowed in the labs.

Either is food or drinks, just so your aware.

rules that are all viciously enforced and followed by all. oorah DIT, oorah!
    orla wrote:
    [LIST=.]
    [*]The labs themselves aren't wireless enabled.

one of the most retarded things in DIT. it's an institute of technology, and still uses a cable system for various labs that aren't cleanly connected together. wireless networks ftw. and when you experience the wifi in DIT, you'll soon find out why they need to sort that stuff out.
    orla wrote:
    It's simple really. COLLEGE computers are for COLLEGE work.

and bebo
    orla wrote:
    [*]Your not sitting anywhere near me because i'll either just unplug your computer or call one of the technicians.
    [/LIST]

rat :p
    orla wrote:
    It won't be until you get to 3rd year.

i recall my first day in games design where the first question was simply "raise your hand if you play games". about 95% of the class had their hand down. disaster. the lecturer advised the class to go play games, but regardless of that, you're not supposed to run around installing a chinese version of CSS on lab computers.

despite my jabs and jive turkeying here, it's nothing short of tom foolery to see some bag of douche playing the original UT on a dell dimension desktop. not only is your lack of skill in an FPS an insult to my heritage it prohibits me from getting near the more graphically impressive Microsoft Word 97.

the idiots who pursue such activities in the labs will get into some sort of trouble, because the admins do (if i recall correctly, or "iirc" for the kidzes) track the open ports that games like css use.

get a fancy laptop with gaming capabilities and park your arse in the fancy surroundings of the ecoli farm we call the snackery and play your games. you're the reason i'm not returning to DIT without a nice lappy under my arm.

Advertisement