Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, I'm going to D.I.T, need advice.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

good luck turning a very specific project in programming into a games-related one. unless you managed to develop a GUI for your C++ project that has Sonic in the background, your projects will have nothing to do with games until you go into games design... and even then, games design is just a good notch on the degree, not a sure fire way into the industry.

DIT's facilities are not there to push the boundaries of computing. they're all standard dell computers. fine for programming and stuff, but not for rendering. the graphics are not pushing out anything significant numbers-wise, so even running Maya or Max would be a struggle. hell i'd imagine even photoshop would buckle the system if you pushed it...

;)

first yea i would not think most of the computers in DIT would be supercomputers so no problem there (laptop and my home computer are made for stuff like rendering ).

lol and yea i am know a computer science degree is not a sure fire way into the industry , lucky i have already had a job in the the games industry ( even if it was not in develpment). plus having past lecturers that worked in the industry i know the best way is to know people which is why i try to go all the gd.ie sindigs , aswell as stay in touch with all my old classmates who are now working in the industry. Plus like i said the most important thing is to keep working on games in my spare time and hopefully find people in DIT who are up for stuff like Dare . as really the best stuff to have on your cv to get into the games Industry is examples of games you have worked on , i have a few already , but still have lots to learn.

and all i am saying is that i would try my best to make them game related , if i can't do that that then so be it. oh and i hate sonic , but making GUI for C++ project for use in my TGEA indie license would be cool.

orla wrote:
    Ah leave him off and let him try turn his projects into games.

If he makes it into second year with the attitude he has i'm sure PK will put him into place.

lol , jesus thanks for the vote of confidence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

lol , jesus thanks for the vote of confidence
    You havn't met Mr. PK yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

This thread is some serious freshman hazing. You old guys are so jaded! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

head - toilet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

head - toilet ;)

The toilets where the LGBT have their meetings...

i am guessing we will be like that in a year or two , jaded and bitter , nah just messing, i am already like that . the induction was good anyway , big class about 50-60 of us ( i wonder how long that will last ) and only 5 girls i think it was . oh well the fun starts on monday . hmm and when can i sign up for net soc ? the week of the 24th i am guessing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Storeee folks.

I'm a complete new bloke to DIT, coming in on Advanced Entry... And I'm obviously interrupting a well knit comp-soc thread, yeah?! :D

I guess I'll be spending a while on this here forum from tomorrow on!

sunnyjim wrote:
    Storeee folks.

I'm a complete new bloke to DIT, coming in on Advanced Entry... And I'm obviously interrupting a well knit comp-soc thread, yeah?! :D

You mean YO SOC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

sunnyjim wrote:

banned for being too enthusiastic about this thread.

postcount++;

• Advertisement

You mean YO SOC

Yea go YO SOC ! (Which will most likey turn into Drink SOC fairly fast, if are first "real" day is anything to go by , 11mins in class , then to the pub. )

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

I had my first proper day yesterday. Elec Engineering...and a few of the lecturers told us to get notes and stuff off the DIT website through the staff pages? Anybody know the specific link because i have the names and passwords but i cant find the owl input spot.

Please, do go on about this YO SOC... Anything that involves lectures lasting less than 15 minutes and beer enthuses me!

sunnyjim wrote:
    Please, do go on about this YO SOC... Anything that involves lectures lasting less than 15 minutes and beer enthuses me!

We're a Yoyo Society.
    Vaguely.

Oh, please tell me yer not takin' the piss.... Love Yoyos!! Proudest moment was mastering "Walk the dog" in 6th class. Thought I was the **** :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

could i not just use my laptop if there where no computers free, or even better just use my laptop to play games , aslo yea i agree the first rule of using a computer in a lap is if your going to the toilet, back everything up, lock it, and tell someone sitting beside you not to let anybody use it .

I defo wouldn't go locking computers, if i saw someone doing that id pull the plug and throw the cable out the window.

As for the laptop thing, you can connect to the wireless network in some of the labs, in fairness though if ur just interested in playing games stay at home. College is a place of work, not a w*a*n*k*i*n*g festival.

Anywho, welcome to DIT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

strychnine wrote:
    College is a place of work
    LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

Ciaran500 wrote:
    LOL

Intelligent input

strychnine wrote:
    Intelligent input