Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Balancing weights on alloys important?

Options
  • 16-08-2007 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

How much of a difference would you expect when you don't have your alloys balanced with these weights.

I have a new set of alloys on the car now since March and they've been aligned etc but looks like they were never balanced. Now I didn't think this would affect the car much but I notice when slowing down to the lights and going back into 2nd gear that the axels seems to shake a lot. I always thought this was due to the lower profile and road conditions but could it be more to do with lack of weights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Wheels need to be balanced whether or not they are steel or alloy.

What you describe doesn't sound like wheel imbalance. It sounds more like a warped brake disc. Is it always in second gear or does it happen with the brakes applied. Usually wheel imbalance shows up at higher speed as the faster the wheel rotates the more effect centrifugal force has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

sounds like a warped disc to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

That sounds strage alright, you should get it checked out.

afaik you need to get your wheels balanced every time you get new tyres, or new wheels for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

I just found it very strange they never even suggested it when I got them and then went to a different place to have them aligned and they said nothing. Would you expect a warped disc on an 05 with 12k Km?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

su_dios wrote:
    Would you expect a warped disc on an 05 with 12k Km?

I wouldn't expect it, but it's not unheard of. When you brake at very slow speeds you may be able to feel the brake pedal 'pulse' as the warped section passes through the pads. This is not a conclusive test - just an indication.

• Advertisement
Advertisement