Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between low voltage and mains

Options
  • 16-08-2007 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi
    Could some one please tell me what difference between low voltage and mains down lights for a house?
    Mains down lights been half the price because there is no trafo.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

hi Dave

its ture that there is no traffo with mains lights, however typically if you are looking at mains halogen lamps they burn very hot and dont last as long, or produce as much light as the lv ones, they are usually installed to save money and time and are not as nice a light. both types can be dimmed if you have a dimmable traffo on the lv option

mains lamps connect into a GU10 lamp holder and both types can be dimmed.
    however the gu10 lamp holder can also be used with CFL flourescent lights and if your fitting has the debth, led fitting can be used with GU 10 holders too, (they can also be used in the LV holders but there is no difference in the quality in a LED light be it 12V (LV) or 230 volt (mains)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

True - the mains GU10 are not as bright and don't lastas long. They are less energy efficient

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

And the bulbs themselves are usually quite a bit more expensive to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

230V are installed to save money or increase profit for installer.
    They require a more expensive dimmer switch.
    They typically last half as long.
    They typically cost 2-3 times the price to replace.
    They are equally inefficient as lv.
    Lv fittings are more suitable to upgrading to led or cold cathode type lamps, just change the leads.
    230V also burn hotter which can give rise to a black ring around the fitting sooner if on for long periods.

Go with the lv.
    Good luck.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I had Halogen down lights once ..... I seemed to spend my life changing bulbs ..... finally got rid of them all and put some CFL spots in ..... :rolleyes:

It no longer looks like Starship 2050 but ......

Oh peace at last !!!!! .... :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement