Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From the Horses mouth ....

Options
  • 16-08-2007 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭

From the Horses mouth today .... Tesco in Coonagh Cross will be open end of October ....

The Hoss being a Tesco manager on the local rad' .....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

My aunt seems very excited about this when i was talking to her about it the other day. What exactly is going to be in it?

The complex as a whole is very impressive looking though, drove past it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

:eek: Are you kidding? It's the blandest most uninspiring looking construction I've seen in a long time.. and that's saying something for a shopping centre..

But, having said that - it'll be great to have a cinema complex out this side of town.. whenever that section of it is opening..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I meant, in size its impressive.

Indeed it is quite a size.. if I recall correctly, I read a while back it will be one of the largest in the country..

Shame they didn't put a bit of pizazz into the architecture - but then again there may be things yet to be done to the facade..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Photos anyone?

I was thinking of applying for a job in Tesco but with the apalling bus service I decided against. Curse you Bus Eireann. :(

• Advertisement

Photos anyone?

I was thinking of applying for a job in Tesco but with the apalling bus service I decided against. Curse you Bus Eireann. :(

Will try to get a few snaps tomorrow..

The 302 ends it's route in Caherdavin, and it's maybe a 5-7 minute walk to the roundabout.. or you could get the Shannon bus from the station to the roundabout.. no need to rely on the 305..

I'd say give it a shot and post off your application..

Ok Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Photos anyone?

There is a brand new Bus lane running right up to the entrance of the new shopping centre ..... :rolleyes:

Mind you ...... it's direction is away from the centre, and I've only ever seen one bus use it ..... :p

hobie wrote:
    I've only ever seen one bus use it ..... :p

Photos or it didn't happen ;)

So did "the hoss" mention any other stores that are going to take up occupancy hobie, or was it a shameless tesco promotion?

Irish Wolf wrote:

So did "the hoss" mention any other stores that are going to take up occupancy hobie, or was it a shameless tesco promotion?

No news on anyone else going in ...... just the Tesco startup info .... :rolleyes:

To be fair that was all the Rad'y lady asked him .... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Irish Wolf wrote:

oh im sure it will be the same as all the rest of the shopping centres... two or three main outlets ie tesco marks and sparks or the like and then 200 womens shops selling shoes and handbags at crazy prices.. oh and probably one single chapps shop or the like!! limerick has to be the worst city in limerick for mens clothes.. but thats another thread altogether!

Marks and Sparks

yipeeee .... that's made my day .....:rolleyes:

All my life I've been waiting for a Limerick M&S ....... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I think it was meant to be much bigger but they decided make it half the size of whatwas originally planned.

http://www.coonaghcross.com/images/map_large.gif

I think it was meant to be much bigger but they decided make it half the size of whatwas originally planned.

Does that mean the Garden Centre is going? ..... :confused:

hobie wrote:
    Does that mean the Garden Centre is going? ..... :confused:

No i think its going into the retail park.

Im just saying if you look at that picture, and i remember seeing a whole other section on the far end of the mall, they must of realised they wouldnt fill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

sorry limerick dude but are you saying that the picture you linked us too is what coonagh cross was supposed to be like or what it is like because by the looks of that picture it is fairly big.

That pic is what it is now.

I definetly remember the actual mall itself being longer.

Im not talking about the whole site or any of the retail parks or whatever.

Well I went in to the jetland for the first time last week, and the layout was terrible, without dunnes that place would be always dead, this place looks to be somewhat of the same (design wise)

Agreed the floorplan looks terrible.. and the Jetland seems to be turning into a bit of a white elephant.. not too sure whatelse is lined up for the retail park opposite it.. but it's looking kind of desserted as well.. but it's early days..

There seems to be a slight reluctancy for stores to locate out on the northside of the city - maybe the promised cineplex will entice a few more businesses out this side.

I'm wondering if the infrastructure is an issue when a store decides to locate in a certain area - if it is then anything on the Ennis Road has it's work cut out..

For me the Jetland is Dunnes ...... :rolleyes:

and ....

If it's $$$$$$$$$ down with rain you can drive in nice and dry .....:)

If it's snowing or freezing cold ..... no problem in the U/ground carpark ...

Mind you ....

If there was a M&S in the place that would be perfect .... :p

• Advertisement

Yeah the original plans I saw had a second storey with a foodcourt.

Yeah - I reckon there's probably a bit of legacy in the fact that they named it Jetland - as it was - it seems Dunnes automatically springs to mind for most people.. and nothing else.. and to a certain extent that's all that's there..

Ok, there's a Carphone Warehouse, Golden Discs, Elvery's, Dr. China, Costa, B&B, Sasha, and the obligatory chemist.. but I can count on one hand the amount of times I've been to all of those combined..

I know I'm knocking it a bit, it's great that it's bringing a bit of life and employment here - but it's a pretty sterile experience going there.. perhaps it's because all I see it as is a big Dunnes, but I can't imagine people from Dooradoyle/Dublin Road area making their way over to shop there.. yet there's still a procession of people from here heading towards Dooradoyle/Dublin Road..

Hopefully the Coonagh development will entice more business out here..

Then again - it's only my opinion..

Now hobie.. when are you getting that M&S petition started? :)

Yup, Just found the original plans on my computer...tells me I saved them in 2005. It says on the original plans there was to be Tesco and two other anchors but now there's just the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

I personally travel out to the Jetland Dunnes from the far side of town coz it is laid out so well but have been in elverys once and costa once so not that much residual business from me

I think Jetland is great. I live literally 2 minutes away by foot, and the place is just so handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Newbie to Limerick here come September, just wondering where or how far away this tesco will be (driving) from Castletroy area. Bearing in mind I have no concept of the city's layout so maybe give me a direction and driving time? Tesco would be brill for a poor student like meself! All help appreciated, cheers in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

The very opposite side of town bout 6 miles. We do have two other tescos though

There is an Aldi in near Castletroy now so cheap food is on your doorstep

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Mackleton

Aldi closeby? Brilliant, either of the Tescos near Castletroy? btw thanks Sioda!

uuum no, the tesco's are in the crescent, town, and then out in coonagh cross.
    None of them in Castletroy.
    In Castletroy you have an aldi and a Superquinn.

• Advertisement

You forgot the one at roxboro limerick dude, which isnt too far from castletroy

but if your in castletroy you very close to a superquinn and 2 Dunnes Stores so your not short on choice.

Advertisement