Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rechecks

Options
  • 16-08-2007 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

So, who's going for them?

And a quick question: Do you have to pay just to view you're scripts even if you don't send them back?

EDIT: Post 525, same as what I got yesterday!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I'm viewing my business. Expected to do better.

It's free to view your script. You only pay ~€40 to have them recorrected. If your grade is brought up, you are refunded [only found this out today].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

It costs thirty seven euro for a recheck, which has to be paid by bank giro. Rechecking English and economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Viewing French, Home ec S&S and LCVP. French is definitely getting rechecked, but I'm looking at the other 2 to see if they're worth appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

I might have some rechecks, I'm not so sure. I'd still like to view all of my scripts, to see how I got on in general. I'm like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

I'm viewing French, Business, English, LCVP and Maths. Costs nothing to see them, and I need 25 points out of somewhere, so why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I'll be looking at French, Maths and Economics, methinks. French - I actually thought I did better than that, Maths to see how close I was to an A and Eco to settle some demons (if any of you remember from the Economics Aftermath thread).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

We have to pay for the recheck? This is just a God damn money racket. It puts us all at a disadvantage. Who makes these rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,933 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Mary Hanafin(twit)...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

You have to pay for rechecks just like you have to pay to do the lc. Nothing in life is free

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

We have to pay for the recheck? This is just a God damn money racket. It puts us all at a disadvantage. Who makes these rules?

you get the money back if your grade goes up, if you were marked fairly the first time then you pay for wasting their time. perfectly fair imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Siobh

I'm iterested in appealing two of my scripts, but can anyone tell me how does it work if you do actuallly get upgraded by a margin that provides you with enough points to get your first choice-? Like do you have to wait until the following year to begin studying that course?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭-TK^Creator

my bro is rechecking his english he thinks he got some boger down in the countryside who can't understand the level of his english hehe

Edit: not a crack at anyone, his opinion not mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

how does it work if you do actuallly get upgraded by a margin that provides you with enough points to get your first choice-? Like do you have to wait until the following year to begin studying that course?

It's idiotic but you don't get your appeal results until mid-october which means you'll have missed a few weeks of your course. You are then entitled to your place in uni but I feel if I don't get my first choice I couldn't be bothered rechecking my papers because the start of a course is usually important!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

I ticked all 9 boxes, wanna have a look at them all and see where i lost/gained marks... not happy with my results in chem, ap. maths and LCVP. if they're worth appealing, i will.

can someone tell me if there's ANY way that if a grade goes up, and this increases your cao points significantly, you could get offered a higher course THIS year..... thanks:)

You have to pay for rechecks just like you have to pay to do the lc. Nothing in life is free

Including free education.
    sd123 wrote:
    can someone tell me if there's ANY way that if a grade goes up, and this increases your cao points significantly, you could get offered a higher course THIS year..... thanks

Technically if there's a place left in the course, they'll let you in, but most just take the gap year. Could be a blessing in disguise...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

I don't really need an increase, I just wanna check how maths went and maybe recheck music since I expected higher than a B3

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

sd123 wrote:
    I ticked all 9 boxes, wanna have a look at them all and see where i lost/gained marks... not happy with my results in chem, ap. maths and LCVP. if they're worth appealing, i will.

can someone tell me if there's ANY way that if a grade goes up, and this increases your cao points significantly, you could get offered a higher course THIS year..... thanks:)

Yeah, when the results are re-distributed in October, if your points goes up and then you have enough for a higher choice that was on your cao, you will be offered that course. But by then, you've missed the start of the course, so you're a few weeks behind. Happened a lad in my school, after re-checks he was then offered his first choice, so he started then.

I'm viewing my French, most likely appealing it. Definately did better than a D1. Should have looked at history, just out of curiosity cos I'm delighted with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Evangelion

bluto63 wrote:
    I don't really need an increase, I just wanna check how maths went and maybe recheck music since I expected higher than a B3

If you dont need it, dont do it, esp with a B. There's the very small chance you'll go down points.

When do the 1st offers come out? is it before or after the deadline for rechecks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

cao offers are out on monday 20th and forms for rechecks have to be returned to your school on or before tuesday 21st, i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

I failed History so I may as well get that rechecked. Does anyone know if they go over teh research topic for a second time when teh recheck history?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I failed History so I may as well get that rechecked. Does anyone know if they go over teh research topic for a second time when teh recheck history?

http://www.examinations.ie/candidates/lc_results_appeal_process_2007.pdf
    would indicate yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

In my case im off by 5 points...hopefully the course will drop(engineering in trinity) but just in case I've applied for like 5 re-checks. Im probably only gonna apply for one maybe two but it would be silly not to look at them all.

If you see that you got 78% then there is no harm in sending it back. They are generally nicer when they correct re-checks and that 2% could be the 5 points I need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Diamond007

Im getting bus and french rechecked, i felt they both went much better than the grade i got.. Alot of people seem to want to check french, is this good or bad??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Turnip2000 wrote:
    In my case im off by 5 points...hopefully the course will drop(engineering in trinity) but just in case I've applied for like 5 re-checks. Im probably only gonna apply for one maybe two but it would be silly not to look at them all.

If you see that you got 78% then there is no harm in sending it back. They are generally nicer when they correct re-checks and that 2% could be the 5 points I need.
    Engineering's tipped to go down alright by The Irish Times. You should be grand there methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I might view one or two, then decide if I should appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 curlysue18

I've also noticed a lot of people want to recheck french. I was quite disappointed with my french result as only got a C1 and i thought i had done a lot better, i was expecting a high B at least. Luckily i got more points than i require for my first choice, but had this not been the case i would definitely be asking for it to be re-checked. anyone else feel they were marked unfairly in this subject???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

is it still the case you cant get your practical art rechecked?
    im just curious since i did the leaving 2 years ago and went up by 10 points in history which gave me 490 but my art was a A2 and my written was a A1 and my teacher and everyone couldnt believe i was a A2 in Art. i wanted to get it rechecked but my school said it couldnt be but i think they mightnt have wanted the hassle.

curlysue18 wrote:
    I've also noticed a lot of people want to recheck french. I was quite disappointed with my french result as only got a C1 and i thought i had done a lot better, i was expecting a high B at least. Luckily i got more points than i require for my first choice, but had this not been the case i would definitely be asking for it to be re-checked. anyone else feel they were marked unfairly in this subject???:confused:

Yep. I was on for an A2 in French, but wound up with a B3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

How strange. I had an awful French oral, but the paper and listening went my way..made a few mistakes though and I wasn't happy with my grammar, did the best I could do with it though. Was hoping I wouldn't get lower than a C1 and ended up with a B2. My friend who's much better than me at French got the C1. Clearly I have someone's else's French grade.. Still looking at it, just in case it's 79%..but I don't think I'd actually appeal it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Does anyone think its worth getting stuff rechecked for the sake of appearance on your CV? I have the points i need by far (got 515 needed 315) but as it will be the only "degree" I will have for the next 4 years, would it be worth trying to go up maybe 15 points to look better?

Not just for me but for other people who could be in a similar position.

Advertisement