Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gap Year/Year Out?

Options
  • 16-08-2007 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Now that the whole results business is over, is anyone considering taking that much needed year out before they start college? Any ideas/websites welcome:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

if you plan on working dont do it. you'll hate working the year while your friends are all out having fun in college. the only plus side is that you'll have money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭greydiamond

But I mean go away on a J1 maybe. Not start full time work(hopefully)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

the only plus side is that you'll have money.

Quite a large plus side as far as I'm concerned. :rolleyes:
    If you haven't a clue what you want to do and aren't really excited about college then earning money & gaining perspective > scraping the pennies away from home. Plus, you'll be all the wiser when the time comes to take the first independent step next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055133390

I'd consider taking a year out (though I'm doing my LC next year), but that'd make me 20 starting college which seems a bit old... also I hear college is great. : )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I'd consider taking a year out (though I'm doing my LC next year), but that'd make me 20 starting college which seems a bit old... also I hear college is great. : )

People start college in their 60s so no 20 is not too old :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Did nobody even consider working before they went to college?Have you all been on the parents = ATM train? Ive spent many weekends saving for college and now am paying my own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Did nobody even consider working before they went to college?Have you all been on the parents = ATM train? Ive spent many weekends saving for college and now am paying my own way.

Good for you man. Treat your parents with some level of respect rather than clinging on to them for every penny their worth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭TwentyOneEleven

Steve01 wrote:
    Good for you man. Treat your parents with some level of respect rather than clinging on to them for every penny their worth

Yeah, I think I'll just do the clinging thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Now that the whole results business is over, is anyone considering taking that much needed year out before they start college? Any ideas/websites welcome:cool:

No, can't wait to start College tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

first year in college is pretty easy anyway, like a gap year.

you should only take that year if you need to earn some money for college.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 *lydia*

Yeah I'm taking a year out to go to france to become fluent in french! Just about to write my deferral letter! anyone have any idea how to word it !?

Advertisement