Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Most annoying road practices.

Options
  • 16-08-2007 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭

There's a lot of things which get on my nerves on the roads, but here's my top few.

1. The car infront accelerates when you go to overtake them. Happened to me a few times now, I had one person who went all the way up to 80 mph. Had to stay behind the car or something might have died.

2. Overtaking lane hoggers. People driving at 80 kph seem to have an obsession to stay in the overtaking lane on the South Ring Road in Cork for some reason.

3. Slow driving. 60 kph on a National Route is completely unacceptable, and in my expierience is just as dangerous as speeding due to creating frustrated drivers.

4. Tail gating.

5. People who cut accross lanes in the middle or signalised and lined roundabouts. Incredible stupid stuff to safe a few seconds on your journey.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

I'm with you on these, particularly No. 3. GGGGGGRRRRRRRR. I have heard of someone prosecuted for this (don't ask me where, it's deep in the foggy recesses of my mind and may even be an urban legend), driving without reasonable consideration. there was something like a half mile of cars behind them and they wouldn't pull in to the hard shoulder.

D. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

My pet hate is fog-lights, everything else I can stand, but my eyes suck at the best of times so they really piss me off. Was on a 3hr drive from Kent to Telford on Mon evening and the only car I came across on the whole drive with fog-lights on was of course, Irish. '06 D golf TDI. I had to laugh though, as it's a national habit at this stage :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Lane discipline. Particularly at roundabouts. Lack of use of indicators too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Individual's parking their cars in dangerous areas only to use their hazard lights as a 'get out of jail free' card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Kali wrote:
    My pet hate is fog-lights, everything else I can stand, but my eyes suck at the best of times so they really piss me off. Was on a 3hr drive from Kent to Telford on Mon evening and the only car I came across on the whole drive with fog-lights on was of course, Irish. '06 D golf TDI. I had to laugh though, as it's a national habit at this stage :)

rear or front fogs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

rear or front fogs?

Rear id imagine - drives me nuts too - dont mind front fogs as they dont glare as badly - follow someone with a rear fog on, for a few miles and then when you get by or turn, theres a red blur in your vision!!

Drivers that lack of conviction drives me up the wall - say for example: at a roundabout and you are stuck behind a car and there are many opportunites to enter onto the roundabout and they dont budge - so fustrating!!

A few things I've seen lately aound Cork that bug the s**t out of me:
    Total lack of lane discipline, especially on the Bandon road roundabout.
    Using the mobile while driving-van drivers and 4x4 drivers particularly.
    Tailgating, everyone seems to do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Cycling in UCD, and having every second car overtake you into oncoming traffic, leaving three inches between your bike and their car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

1: Cars entering (or barging) from minor roads, obstructing a cycle track while waiting to join the traffic.

2: Cars overtaking while turning left,then stopping, obstructing the cycle track when they find the left turn is blocked by other cars.

3: Drivers not indicating.

4: Obstructing box junctions.

5: Parking with wing mirrors (or half the car) in a cycle track.

6: Parking on the wrong side of the road (facing oncoming traffic).

7: Cyclists/motorists breaking traffic lights.

8: Cyclists riding the wrong way down cycle tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I will second the rear fogs - I fookin hate idiots with rear fog lights on - I consider it like a "The driver is a retard" sign on the back.
    Its illegal in most countries and I have heard of people being fined for it on the continent - not here though, cops here barely know 30% of traffic laws. :mad:

People who will enter a roundabout without the way being clear therefore blocking the way for users of a different exit off the roundabout. :mad:

Overtaking lane hoggers. :mad:

Of course slow twats on main routes who won't pull in - ever try driving Galway Dublin on a Sunday afternoon ? "Sure we've all had a pint with lunch and no one is in a rush on a Sunday" twats - this is what the cops should be looking out for.:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

All of the above and another one:

People approching a roundabout on a dual carriageway at speed.
    No other vehicle to be seen anywhere near the roundabout.

Yet they slam on the brakes at the last minute, coming to a full stop for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Idiots using a filter lane to turn left and then at the last minute swing out to the right as if they were driving an artic. Usually they are in a corsa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

The 3 things I find most annoying on the road are:

1. People pulling out of junctions in front of you and then driving slowly down the road, forcing you to brake hard to avoid collision.

2. People driving at less than the speed limit in the overtaking lane of the motorway. (I'm not talking 70mph here, 60mph and below)

3. People not indicating which exit they are taking when you are trying to get on to a roundabout.

I just can't understand why people do these things :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

1. People that dont know how indicate correctly on roundabouts. ... Say the are taking the 3rd exit RIGHT - they will enter the roundabout without indicating, turn RIGHT and then idicate LEFT when they are about to exit! :mad: ...anyon else with me on this?

2. Rear Fog-lights ... WHY?? WHY?? WHY? do people do this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

...6: Parking on the wrong side of the road (facing oncoming traffic).

Is this illegal? Not sure it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

PaulKK wrote:
    The 3 things I find most annoying on the road are:

1. People pulling out of junctions in front of you and then driving slowly down the road, forcing you to brake hard to avoid collision.

2. People driving at less than the speed limit in the overtaking lane of the motorway. (I'm not talking 70mph here, 60mph and below)

3. People not indicating which exit they are taking when you are trying to get on to a roundabout.

I just can't understand why people do these things :confused:
    this is exactly what i was going to post... especially number 1, i am getting closer and closer to killing the next gobshíte that does that to me!

has happened to me nearly everyday this week :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lack of indicators. Capital offence in my book.

The "Three lane crossover", where a car gets up to 130 kph plus in the overtaking lane to get past everyone only to dive across at the very last second to get onto the off ramp. Been close to two collisions recently.

Would love to see this one classified as dangerous driving with a mandatory court visit and five penalty points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

C_Breeze wrote:
    1. People that dint know how indicate correctly on roundabouts. ... Say the are taking the 3rd exit RIGHT - they will enter the roundabout without indicating, turn RIGHT and then idicate LEFT when they are about to exit! :mad: ...anyon else with me on this?

personally I'd indicate right when i enter then when i pass the exit before the one i want indicate left, that's how i was shown. and if your taking the third exit on a 2 lane roundabout you use the inside lane.

on the Drinan Interchange between Swords and the M1 theres 2 roundabouts and no one understands that each roundabout has 2 lanes and you can't drive straight from the outside lane entering to the inside lane to the outside lane when exiting. almost daily someone is nearly side swiped on it, same when ya come off the M1 there's a roundabout at the top of the slip road. again it's a 2 lane roundabout and most cars cut directly across both lanes the beep and flip you off for being in the wrong. Idiots

And outside lane hoggers, i hate them. Granted i could be accused of it but only on 1 stretch of road and that's the M1 between swords and the M50 coz you'll always get some cnut that will stay in the inside lane and pull half into a spot on the slip road for the M50 without indicating just coz he didn't want to join the end of the line. been in a fair few near misses over that one and have seen a few also so i tend to stay to the right to be safe. sorry if i P anyone off for it :o So for that 100-200M i tend to stay in the outside lane and as soon as I'm clear of the M50 slip road i pull in to the left lane once safe to do so.

Oh and cyclist that can't seem to understand that those bright red things on the shiny poles at junctions apply to them too. notice the cycle lane is to the right of the traffic light so it applies to you to.

and pedestriand that walk along and jst step out into the road with checking of anyone is turning that corner and when ya nearly hit them they scream at ya like you're in the wrong.

dade wrote:
    and pedestriand that walk along and jst step out into the road with checking of anyone is turning that corner and when ya nearly hit them they scream at ya like you're in the wrong.

That's because you are!
    When turning, you have to give way to pedestrians

(having said that ...that shouldn't prevent pedestrians from looking anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

rear or front fogs?

Front of course. Do people actually ever drive with rear fog-lights on as a matter of course... usually they just tend to forget to turn them off after a downpour/foggy patch of road. Whereas front they CHOOSE to drive with them on constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

peasant wrote:
    When turning, you have to give way to pedestrians

if they are already in teh road way is it not, not ones that are on teh foot path. cos those on teh road have right of way do they not?

it's that they never look to see if someone is turning that gets me. ya can spot them a mile off headphones in gazing at their shoes or sending a text. if they're to stupid to look when crossing the street then the gene pool is better off without them

dade wrote:
    . ya can spot them a mile off

No need to (almost) run them over then, if you can spot them, is there? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

- 95% of people on motorway roundabouts
    look at the lane markings numbnuts, you cant do what you are doing!
    or the other type who refuse to move to the outside lane to exit leaving me to go round and round until either there is a gap or someone who knows how to use a roundabout properly arrives.

- cars turning left across cycle lanes ontop of me
    - cyclists ploughing on no matter what when I am trying to turn left across a cycle lane. If the lane is a broken line I cross it and block the cyclypath until I have turned, yet there is always one who will squeeze up the inside "because he has a right to be there"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I could go on about all the dangerous things, but I will concentrate on the petty things.

People who don't wave after you have let them out in front of you.

Black windows.

Litter throwing from windows.

Baby on board stickers.

Dogs on board stickers.

Cushions on the parcel shelf.

Boxes of tissues on the parcel shelf.

Silly loud exhausts.

Dump valve "sound effect" that isn't a dump valve.

People who call their front fog lights "spot lights"

People who think merging is "that f*cker trying to get in front of me"

Dirty windscreens.

"moms" bringing kids to school in sherman tanks.

Suits hanging in the back seat blocking the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

People with masses of crap dangling from their rear view mirrors in their field of vision.

People driving cars with hats on (what's that about?).

Mothers in huge SUV's (usually with L plates!) and hordes of kids running around loose in the back.

Alun wrote:
    People driving cars with hats on (what's that about?).
    For completeness; People who delay me while they take off their hats to get into their car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

When all is said and done, it's really all about attitude.

1. I've paid my car tax, I can drive however I like

2. I'm a selfish git, you cannot overtake me or go faster than me

3. Everyone who drives faster than me is an idiot, anyone going slower is a crawler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Any or all of the above annoy me, particularly lane discipline on multiple-lane roundabouts.

The most dangerous thing I see (and it seems to occur more often) is kids being allowed to jump around and/or stand on the back seat of a car. It seems to be more prevalent in the type of car you wouldn't want to have a crash in (Micras, for example) and they tend to be driven most irresponsibly too, making the potential for serious injury to the child even more likely. Overcrowding in cars is another pet peeve.

The ones who refuse to shift left after an exit on a roundabout kill me, they really do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

1: Cars entering (or barging) from minor roads, obstructing a cycle track while waiting to join the traffic.
    7: Cyclists/motorists breaking traffic lights.
    The only people I ever obstruct by doing number 1 is people trying to do number 7. I have no sympathy for them. The junction I am thinking of is the side road by AIB in Ranelagh.

Advertisement