Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Most annoying road practices.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

maoleary wrote:
    When all is said and done, it's really all about attitude.

1. I've paid my car tax, I can drive however I like

2. I'm a selfish git, you cannot overtake me or go faster than me

3. Everyone who drives faster than me is an idiot, anyone going slower is a crawler

Jeez - i'd hate to be stuck behind you on the road.

:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Does anyone else get very nervous in the right hand lane of a two lane dual - carriageway roundabout when going straight on that the person in the left lane is going right around the roundabout ? I am sure its my weariness thats saved me a shunt at least twice that I can think of. I saw a girl in swords the other day stay on the outside lane the whole way round a roundabout cutting off 2 different cars taking their exit :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

People who overtake you only to slow down twenty feet in front of you then indicate and turn left. The indicating part is optional.

Lack of indicators in general, particularly from taxi-men and the majority of people going around roundabouts. Either they don't indicate at all or they do it arseways. People with L plates up are the only ones you can reliably expect to indicate.

Furry dice and other pointless ****e obscuring the drivers vision.

Tailgating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Kali wrote:
    Front of course. Do people actually ever drive with rear fog-lights on as a matter of course... usually they just tend to forget to turn them off after a downpour/foggy patch of road. Whereas front they CHOOSE to drive with them on constantly.

Front Fogs will not blind you (Well the factory fitted ones won't anyway).They are designed for oncoming cars to see you and for you to see the road in front of you and not beam staight ahead like main beams.Yes the amount of spas who drive with rear fogs is unbelievable!Do they not look at their sdash occassionally and see oh I've my rear fog light on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Moanin wrote:
    Front Fogs will not blind you (Well the factory fitted ones won't anyway).They are designed for oncoming cars to see you and for you to see the road in front of you and not beam staight ahead like main beams.Yes the amount of spas who drive with rear fogs is unbelievable!Do they not look at their sdash occassionally and see oh I've my rear fog light on?
    They are designed for oncoming cars to see you in times of low visibility. On wet roads they produce a big 'pool of light' in front of the car that does half-blind you. The affect is even worse in rural areas with narrower roads and no street lights. There is never a reason to have them on unless there is low visibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Moanin wrote:
    They are designed for oncoming cars to see you and for you to see the road in front of you and not beam staight ahead like main beams.

In good light conditions front fog lights left on can cancel the indicators. The iris reacts to the bright light by closing making it harder for drivers to see indicator lights. That is why it is illegal to have them on in perfect conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

What I hate is people who feel the need to overtake you just because you overtook them. :mad: I was doing 120kmh exactly (cruise control on, and the speed reading from the GPS) on the N7 just before Portlaoise coming home one day last week and pulled out and passed a 3 series that was going ever so slightly slower than me. He immediately sped up and passed me. No harm, no foul, let him off, I thought. He then slowed back to his previous speed, :rolleyes: so 2 minutes later I was back up his arse, so I over took him again. This happened twice more until we came to the end of the motorway, where he nearly killed himself passing me just so he could be in front of me on the crappy road into Mountrath.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Is this illegal? Not sure it is.
    My main objection is that it's hazardous.

Unless the car has hover capability, it would be necessary to drive along the right hand side to the road to park and once again to rejoin traffic. That's illegal. Then, at night, the cars reflectors will be facing the wrong way and during manouvres the car's headlamps would be blinding oncoming traffic.

I have not found a specific regulation on this (you'll all be relieved to know), but there is a generic one about not causing an obstruction or hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

lightening wrote:
    I could go on about all the dangerous things, but I will concentrate on the petty things.

Yes indeed. Agreed to pretty much all these. Dont forget those with big "Punto" or "Ford" stickers plastered as a huge sticker on the back window, the false exhaust brigade, the 1.9tdi RS4 folks etc etc etc. 1 question....Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Agree with more or less everything that's been posted so far...

But want to add the bizzare fad in the last few months where people are driving around in the dark with just parking lights switched on - or parking lights with fog lights. :confused: :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

digweed wrote:
    I'm with you on these, particularly No. 3. GGGGGGRRRRRRRR. I have heard of someone prosecuted for this (don't ask me where, it's deep in the foggy recesses of my mind and may even be an urban legend), driving without reasonable consideration. there was something like a half mile of cars behind them and they wouldn't pull in to the hard shoulder.D. :p
    It was in England. An elderly woman returning from a day out. She couldn't see very well in the twilight so was driving at 5 mph with, as you say, a couple of dozen cars behind her. I felt sorry for her because she was old and probably at the limits of her ability but there are hundreds who have no such excuses.

Is this illegal? Not sure it is.
    Not here. But a friend who lives in Brussels was warned by a friendly policeman, as she was about to park facing oncoming traffic, that he would prosecute her if she did. Probably the same in other countries on the continent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Dun wrote:
    They are designed for oncoming cars to see you in times of low visibility. On wet roads they produce a big 'pool of light' in front of the car that does half-blind you. The affect is even worse in rural areas with narrower roads and no street lights. There is never a reason to have them on unless there is low visibility.

One of the things I hate about front fog's is when it's combined with tailgating. As if the tailgating wasn't bad enough, they have to blind you with a combo of front fogs and dipped beams.

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    the bizarre fad in the last few months where people are driving around in the dark with just parking lights switched on - or parking lights with fog lights. :confused: :mad:
    Equally the tossers who drive in daytime in fog or heavy rain with just the parking lights on, no doubt smug about their superior skills. Have they any idea how f*cking useless parking lights are for making themselves visible to other drivers?

Someone else mentioned the "Baby on Board" signs in rear windows. I have often thought of designing one in the same format – yellow diamond with black bold upper-case lettering – saying "Who Gives a F*ck?" I'm too lazy to actually do it, but if someone else did I would buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

muppets that overtake for no reason whatsoever...

e.g ur driving along at the speed limit with a comfortable gap between you and the car in front..

Then some idiot decides to overtake you at speed. Absolutly pointless manoveur because now he sits between me and the car in front, reducing my braking distance.

What is the point? Anyone here that does this? Perhaps you can explain...

Why overtake one car that is driving at the speed limit usually 100kmph on national roads. Should overtaking not accomplish sumting????

grrrr so annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

My main gripe for the day is with the legion of eejits on the M4 and N7 today who despite driving in unbelievably bad rain ...with visibility so bad you couldnt see more than 2 cars lengths in front of you, still tottered along without their lights on. :eek: :mad:

And dont even get me started on the baffling experience yesterday on the M4 approaching the toll in Enfield of the driving lane being completely empty and approx 20 cars all driving at 90-100 kph in the overtaking lane. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

gobs****t who sit at a green filter light ,waiting for the filter light to come on when there is no traffic coming towards them,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,387 ✭✭✭BrianD3

CTU_Agent wrote:
    muppets that overtake for no reason whatsoever...

e.g ur driving along at the speed limit with a comfortable gap between you and the car in front..

Then some idiot decides to overtake you at speed. Absolutly pointless manoveur because now he sits between me and the car in front, reducing my braking distance.

What is the point? Anyone here that does this? Perhaps you can explain...

Why overtake one car that is driving at the speed limit usually 100kmph on national roads. Should overtaking not accomplish sumting????

grrrr so annoying
    Pre-emptive overtaking. You might be doing the speed limit but if you come across a slower moving vehicle you may decide not to overtake for some reason even if the way is clear. An awful lot of Irish drivers seem to be unable/unwilling to overtake. If you don't overtake, it makes it harder for the drivers behind to overtake the slow vehicle. Very quickly a big convoy builds up and this can add a lot to journey times.

By overtaking you when he gets the opportunity, the driver behind is trying to reduce the chance of this happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

samo wrote:
    My main gripe for the day is with the legion of eejits on the M4 and N7 today who despite driving in unbelievably bad rain ...with visibility so bad you couldnt see more than 2 cars lengths in front of you, still tottered along without their lights on. :eek: :mad:

And here's the result :(

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0818/rta.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

nipplenuts wrote:

Very sad, I have to say....and it has to be one of the scariest days driving I've done in a while, I think only spotted a handful of cars with their lights on having driven on the Naas Road which is terrible in heavy rain at the best of times, really isnt helped though by people not lighting up when visibility is that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

Michael G wrote:
    Someone else mentioned the "Baby on Board" signs in rear windows. QUOTE]

I was thinking of getting "Baby on Board" to keep off tailgaters would it work anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

And im sure its been brought up so many times....

Taxi's in the city centre (mainly Camden and Georges st.) who think a combination of jamming on brakes + hazard lights = I'm safely pulling over now !!! ...

.. Dont get me started on the ones who either don't have brake lights at all and indicate AFTER pulling over .. Illegal .. yep .. but if you crash into their rear end wheres the evidence.

oh BTW question ... and why does a dump valve "simulator" cost virtually the same as a real dump valve :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Mister-M5

not picking left or right lane going into roundabout!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

deevey wrote:
    oh BTW question ... and why does a dump valve "simulator" cost virtually the same as a real dump valve :confused:
    Because the boy racer brigade are that insecure. These things are just a recorded sound triggered by a microswitch under the clutch pedal. Sad! :o I wouldn't mind but they sound soooo fake. Dump/blow off valves aren't that loud, and vary in amplitude and duration depending on how hard your driving. If you're "cruzin" and pottering around you won't build up enough pressure in a turbo to make much of a hiss. These things make the same prerecorded sound every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

All my hates have been mentioned, perhaps this one has too...

I hate it when people indicate right approaching a roundabout and then proceed to go straight through! Its stupid. The ammount of people who not only do that, but move into the right hand lane on a single lane road. I then proceed where i should be, in the left hand lane to go straight through and then i find them trying to go straight too?

I also hate the feckers so are going straight through a roundabout and litterally go straight through the 2 lanes, usually cutting me off in the right hand lane taking the 3rd exit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭great unwashed

a lot of you are on the button with

grrr people not indicating off roundabouts when you are approaching :mad:

:eek: triple parking! don't go down to Miltown Malbay in Clare if like to be able to drive on the street

people driving up your arts at speed and want to overtake when your own micra is screaming at 100 kph

drivers going at a slowish speed in front of you - something around 65kph is really annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

Michael G wrote:
    Someone else mentioned the "Baby on Board" signs in rear windows. QUOTE]

I was thinking of getting "Baby on Board" to keep off tailgaters would it work anyone know?

Perhaps not a baby, what about a speed camera ??

See :- car window stickers

Some Driving schools in the UK claim after sticking some of these with "Speed Camera on Board" and such wordings has greatly reduced tailgaters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

J_R wrote:

Perhaps not a baby, what about a speed camera ??

See :- car window stickers

Some Driving schools in the UK claim after sticking some of these with "Speed Camera on Board" and such wordings has greatly reduced tailgaters.

Do you know any where in Ireland I can get one made? Nearly could make one myself couldn't I with computer? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

J_R wrote:

Do you know any where in Ireland I can get one made? Nearly could make one myself couldn't I with computer? Thanks

You could download from: -HERE OR just copy the camera icon and take it to any company that do car graphics.

BTW. The UK equivalent to the Gatso van have been dubbed the Talivan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

My pet hate,
    This kind of attitude:
    Pre-emptive overtaking. You might be doing the speed limit but if you come across a slower moving vehicle you may decide not to overtake for some reason even if the way is clear. An awful lot of Irish drivers seem to be unable/unwilling to overtake. If you don't overtake, it makes it harder for the drivers behind to overtake the slow vehicle. Very quickly a big convoy builds up and this can add a lot to journey times.

By overtaking you when he gets the opportunity, the driver behind is trying to reduce the chance of this happening.
    Pre emptive overtaking!! What kind of Bull crap is that?
    An awful lot of Irish drivers (ie those who are safe drivers) tend not to want to overtake a vehicle doing anywhere near 100 KPH as it is illegal to do so on parts of many Irish roads. And what for? To save 10-15 minutes on a journey?
    Lack of patience and tolerance of others (this of course works both ways - slow and fast drivers) is my main pet hate-mainly the habit of overtaking in dangerous situations in order to save yourself a few minutes journey time while putting others on the road at risk.
    Kippy

Advertisement