Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Most annoying road practices.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭J_R

ballooba wrote:
    As would you be if you had taken the entrance before the person in the left hand lane and it was your third exit and their second?

That is a totally different scenario

The new ROTR also attempted to clear that up:
    Drivers should make themselves aware of the road markings and get into the appropriate lane when safe to do so, remembering to show consideration to other users of the road and in the interest of road safety, yield when necessary.

In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to:
    * pedestrians who may be crossing the approach and exit roads,
    * traffic crossing in front of you on the roundabout, especially vehicles intending to leave by the next exit,
    * traffic that may be straddling lanes or positioned incorrectly,
    * motorcyclists,
    * cyclists and horse riders who may stay in the left-hand lane and signal right if they intend to continue round the roundabout,
    * long vehicles (including those towing trailers), which might have to take a different course approaching or on the roundabout because of their length. Watch out for their signals.

Because you use the inside lane when your exit is after 12 0'Clock, does not mean you may also use it when your exit is straight ahead.

I believe the rules are perfectly clear. Just because some councils are lax in their road maintenance/markings and/or the roundabout was designed by an incompetent engineer should not throw the entire ROTR into disrepute.

The new Rules state
    Roundabouts - ROTR - 2007
    Taking any later exits; (This applies to any exit after 12 0'Clock)

* Signal right and approach in the right-hand lane.
    * Keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout.
    * Check your mirrors, signal left and proceed to your exit when it is safe to do so.
    * Signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

people who hold traffic up purely because they are nosey and want to have a gawk at a crash by the road - such as on the M50 this evening. Selfish *******, wish i could give everyone of them a smack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Tauren wrote:
    people who hold traffic up purely because they are nosey and want to have a gawk at a crash by the road - such as on the M50 this evening. Selfish *******, wish i could give everyone of them a smack.
    The Police/EMTs should really erect curtains around accident scenes to avoid this. Only way forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

JCBS, tractors, vehicles with huge trailers etc on the roads (esp major roads) during rush hour.

Cars with multiple headlights or large cars with badly dipped lights.

Motorbikes weaving in and out of traffic. Especially when you have the window down and some half wit frightens you by roaring past.

Cars with unsecured kids jumping around

Pretending that the exit lane from the motorway actually starts 2 miles back along the hard shoulder.

Sneaky overtaking on roundabouts

Slowcoaches on entrance slips

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tauren wrote:
    It's human nature. Be honest, don't you look too?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

people I've noticed taking the p!ss recently:

- I'm in the driving lane with the bus lane on the left, and need to turn left at traffic lights so indicate to move left at the correct entry point at the end of the bus lane just behind a taxi. But there's another taxi speeding over the limit up the bus lane - he beeps and gesticulates at me, lots of wingdings coming out of his mouth. Don't think I was in the wrong there.

- and a similar one - coming off a roundabout in the left lane, with a car behind me - I indicate to go to the driving lane as a buslane starts up there. Only the guy behind me is doing the same thing and is trying to get in front of me, so beeps me as I'm pulling in. I wasn't in the wrong there either, as the lane was clear, I was indicating - just that the other b0llix was trying to block me.

I was driving an old Triumph both times - it seems to bring out the same thing in people that they see when an L-driver is in front of them, even though I'm driving fine

• Registered Users Posts: 45,767 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

esel wrote:
    It's human nature. Be honest, don't you look too?
    Yeah - i do look because i am going so damned slow past it at the time. If traffic hasn't slowed down, i would shoot on past at 100kph though. Its not like i am going to get much information from just looking, is it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kippy wrote:
    And what for? To save 10-15 minutes on a journey?
    The NRA spend BILLIONS to achieve this.

And its money wasted. They could get the same effect by getting people to drive on the left of the lanes. One of my pet hates is when there is a hard shoulder a full lane wide and then the single lane is over twice the width of a car and yet you find people driving along the centre of the road. Preventing any overtaking.

An 18 wheeler is easier to overtake on our N roads than a fuppin' Yaris. Because the 18 wheeler will pull in to let you pass, and won't speed up as you overtake. And that's not including the times the artic will pull into the hard shoulder.

Another hate is those people who drive at 80 kph in between towns and at 70 kph in towns. Just scum who have no respect for other road users or pedestrians or safety. They deserve to have their cars cubed and left as a warning to other. /RANT

And indicators on roundabouts :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

franksm wrote:
    I was driving an old Triumph both times - it seems to bring out the same thing in people that they see when an L-driver is in front of them, even though I'm driving fine

I get the same when I drive my Scimitar or my Striker, neither of which are even close to slow (the Striker is a little nippy). The worst thing of all is that people insist on pulling out from side roads where I have to hit the brakes and they then either accelerate very slowly, or drive along at 40km/h. Amazingly, it doesn't happen nearly as often when I drive an ordinary car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Most of what's been said and...

1. Absent minded idiots who, on a clear road, approach a junction with a green traffic light at about 20Kph. By the time they reach the junction the lights will invariably have changed to red - something which means nothing to the idiot who will continue through leaving everyone after them to wait :mad:

2. Drivers who for whatever reason cannot park in a single space, even when the spaces next to their 'main space' are already occupied. Are these people incompetent drivers who shouldn't hold a licence or just lazy and selfish bastards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tauren wrote:
    Yeah - i do look because i am going so damned slow past it at the time
    The people that you are complaining about may be also looking because , like you, they have been held up also. ;)
    An 18 wheeler is easier to overtake on our N roads than a fuppin' Yaris. Because the 18 wheeler will pull in to let you pass, and won't speed up as you overtake. And that's not including the times the artic will pull into the hard shoulder.
    You are watching too much US TV Captain!

18 wheelers are very rare in Ireland. Most 'artics' are 12 wheelers - 6 super singles on the 3 axle trailer, a standard 4 wheels on the tractor rear axle and 2 wheels on the tractor front axle. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Didn't read replies, so forgive any repitition:

1 - Crawling in overtaking lane.

2 - Not allowing others (me) into traffic when the other driver has nothing to gain by cruising those extras ten feet into the space I was indicating into.

3 - Driving aggressively close behind.

-> You motherfuc*ers - I'm gunning for you!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The people that you are complaining about may be also looking because , like you, they have been held up also. ;)

You are watching too much US TV Captain!

18 wheelers are very rare in Ireland. Most 'artics' are 12 wheelers - 6 super singles on the 3 axle trailer, a standard 4 wheels on the tractor rear axle and 2 wheels on the tractor front axle. ;)
    Fair cop gov' , I'll just wander off quietly then. :o

Anyway I couldn't see the back of the truck , a Yaris was in the way ;)

Advertisement