Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build, Problems getting worse....

Options
  • 16-08-2007 11:01pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys just set up my pc last night. Was posting fine but when I tried installing vista it would just hang at the installion complete part. So I kept roformatting the HD and trying again. Started thinkin it was the ram. tried one stick then the other,no joy. Kept goin through this cycle until bout half an hour ago until i decided to reseat the HSH. Now it will only power on for a few seconds and then turns itself off.....

abit ab9 quadgt, q6600, 2gb ocz reaper pc 8500, evga 8800gts, Cosair 620 psu, samsung spinpoint 500gb.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

why did you reseat the HSF? ok that was your first mistake, clearly if you are getting into the Vista install it wasn't a problem with the HSF not being seated properly. Plus you could of checked the CPU temps in the BIOS before hand.

Ok a couple of questions:
    1. Is Vista legit? Don't lie, you'll be wasting our time and yours if it isn't.
    2. Do you have a POST speaker connected, if so what are the beeps
    3. When it powers on do you see the POST screen or does the screen stay blank

My first advice would be to try booting with 1 stick of RAM only, disconnect the HDD, Optical drive and all non essentials.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

temps were running about 45.Yep its legit alright. It actually posts fine and goes to verifying DMI pool, and after that it will either power itself off or boot to the cd. It s a bit of a lottery. When it goes in to the installation it seems to flick through the pages extremely slowly and always freezes on complete installation.
    when I power back on it reaches please wait a moment while windows starts for the first time and freezes again. After powering back on it says windows has encountered a problem,please press ok to restart your computer........and the cycle continues.
    one thing i was wondering about was my ram.Although the quadgt supports ddr2 800 it intially shows up as 533 in the bios

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Manually set your ram timings and voltage in the bios.

What type of hard drives are you using? Sata?

If sata try setting it to IDE/compatibility mode in the bios.

Check the Abit forums for people with the same motherboard and similar issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I think the 533 your looking at is 1066.. Its divided by two, if you ever used cpu-z you would see this! About the vista problem ive had something similar to your problem it would hang and I had to try install it 3 times before it worked for me! Also when I tried installing it on 4GB of ram it just wouldn't boot at kept blue screening.

Why don't you try taking out the cmos battery for a minute and put it back in? Or try install xp on to it? (xp is better;))

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Yep it would sure be nice to stick with xp but unfortunatley I dont have a disk. Just wondering whether I might need to flash my bios?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

its always worth flashing to the latest bios revision availible

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Pougle

Hey 'gonzovision'
    Had this problem myself.
    There's two sollutions.

One
    Go into the bios and disable 'enhanced sata disk'
    Install vista and then install the sata drivers and tools for your chipset within windows.
    On restart.
    Go into bios and enable 'enhanced sata disk'
    Done.

Two
    Before you sellect disk to install vista on. Press F6 to load sata drivers for your chipset (off a usb key).
    Even though vista seems to recognise your disks. It has issues finallising the installation unless you've loaded up the sata drivers or your using an oem recovery disk.

Ohh finalising installation can take upto 10 mins.

Regards Pougle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Do what uberpixie suggested with the RAM timings, OCZ put timings into their DIMM's that can cause compatibility problems with certain boards so don't let it rely on the SPD.

Before doing that clear the CMOS, go into the bios and load the defaults then change the RAM values to conservative values like 5-5-5 etc.

Also make sure that HPET is enabled in the bios.

did all of the above but to no avail. It either gets to dmi pool and restarts or passes this to windows did not shut down and after 30 seconds a black screen.

did all of the above but to no avail. It either gets to dmi pool and restarts or passes this to windows did not shut down and after 30 seconds a black screen.

What voltage is the ram set to?

Reaper by default is 5-5-5-15 @2.3v

Set the voltage to 2.4 just to be sure.

Any auto overclocking feature on the board you can disable?

Better yet try installing XP if you have access to it, or try knoppix disk.

If she won't even boot with knoppix the you know something is very wrong.

• Advertisement

have an xp disk on the way. ill let ye know how i get on

Finally got an xp disc this mornin.Worked first time.Stupid Vista. Thanks for yer help guys

Finally got an xp disc this mornin.Worked first time.Stupid Vista. Thanks for yer help guys

glad it worked for you in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

but the problem is still there right? if he ever wants to go and use vista, wont he still have the problem? or will xp install the sata drivers?

Im not sure but for the moment im happy enough without goin through all that again

Problem turned out to be my Bios. There is a revision to stop vista hanging during installation.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

One of the first things you should have checked was the bios.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Anti wrote:
    its always worth flashing to the latest bios revision availible

QFT! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

I missed this one , have the same board , had the same problem , Bios update fixed it , googling abit ab9 and vista throws up lots of people with exactly the same issue .

Advertisement