Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Latin translation

• 16-08-2007 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick post. I'm looking for a suitable English-Latin translation for something along the line of:

proud in/of life
    pride of health
    civic duty/pride
    pride for/of state and body/health

i know its a bit of a long shot but what the hey. I'll just have a peek ina beginners Latin book if unsuccesful. Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

In order:

vitae superbus (or superba if feminine)
    valetudinis superbia
    officium civile
    patriae valetudinisque superbia

The problem with superbus is that, while it can be used in a positive sense, it tends to carry negative connotations in Latin. I can't think of anything better at the moment, though, sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

punka wrote:
    In order:

vitae superbus (or superba if feminine)
    valetudinis superbia
    officium civile
    patriae valetudinisque superbia

The problem with superbus is that, while it can be used in a positive sense, it tends to carry negative connotations in Latin. I can't think of anything better at the moment, though, sorry!

Hey no worries! I wasn't expecting anything. Yeah i saw that superbus can have an arrogant connotation to it alright. Thanks for the help.

Advertisement