Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus IS200 - the new chav mobile?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Scobie! Sc-o-bee

Also pronounced Scopie!!! Sc-o-pee

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

NiSmO wrote:

That's interesting, I've never heard of that. Feel free to start a thread about it in the "Learning to Drive" forum. Other people might benefit from that!

So how much was your quote then, or do you prefer not to say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

MikeHunt wrote:
    ^ Nuff said. Yet you're hung-up on peoples perceptions of you based on the car you drive? There must be some fundamental issues you need to address in the first place! It'll always be an insurable car as long as you're of a reasonable age with a few years NCB.

In my opinion there's a long list of boy-racer style cars that come before the IS200/Altezza.

Also, since when did "chav" become a word in the Irish vocabulary? :rolleyes:

I never said "Chav" was a part of the Irish vocabulary, I live in England and therefore its the term i use. And i'm not speaking Irish anyway im speaking English :D

And tbh i couldnt give a dam about the car having a "skanger" image, i clearly stated I would be buying it anyway, so no I don't have any "fundamental issues I need to address".

Am actually going out to view one tomorrow here in the UK, 87k on the clock, sport model, the blue colour (my favourite), full toyota/lexus service history, 2000 reg for £4.5k which is decent I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭MikeHunt

I suppose I could have phrased it better... "in the vocabulary of the Irish".

Good luck with the purchase anyway. Are you over there for the foreseeable future or are you planning on bringing the car back to Ireland? The VRT must be high enough on those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

unkel wrote:
    That's interesting, I've never heard of that. Feel free to start a thread about it in the "Learning to Drive" forum. Other people might benefit from that!

So how much was your quote then, or do you prefer not to say?

In fairness, 25 lessons at a (generous) 25euro per less = €625... That's a LOT more than a years NCB will get you as discount...

... Oh, I guess there's the 'Better driver' after 25 lessons though :eek: :D :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Do you really want to pay over €5,000 for insurance? Just because they will quote doesn't mean it's going to be afordable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The IS200 has the 2 litre 6 cyl, roughly 156bhp and a shocking 28mpg. The Altezza has a Yamaha 2 litre 4cyl engine, mid-30's mpg and has over 200bhp.
    I'd much rather an Altezza, and there's no way I'd put the Lexus badge on it.
    The IS would have it in engine refinement and low down grunt, but other than that the Altezza is actually a better buy. However, prices reflect this, and popularity of the Altezza is beginning to drive the prices up over that of a similar age IS.
    The only way I'd dip into the 20's for mpg's is if I had plenty of HP, which the IS doesn't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Biro wrote:
    The IS200 has the 2 litre 6 cyl, roughly 156bhp and a shocking 28mpg. The Altezza has a Yamaha 2 litre 4cyl engine, mid-30's mpg and has over 200bhp.
    I'd much rather an Altezza, and there's no way I'd put the Lexus badge on it.
    The IS would have it in engine refinement and low down grunt, but other than that the Altezza is actually a better buy. However, prices reflect this, and popularity of the Altezza is beginning to drive the prices up over that of a similar age IS.
    The only way I'd dip into the 20's for mpg's is if I had plenty of HP, which the IS doesn't have.
    A mildly tuned Glanza would do the same power, better mpg, has the same badge and would be cheaper. Would you drive one of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Actually the Alteeza was sold with the 6 pot unit also in the JDM but the Yamaha beans unit is the most popular due to it's superior performance.

Both the MkI IS200 and Alteeza were built in the same factory in Japan, the Lexus being for the export market only. These days Lexus have their own seperate factories and the brand has only been available in the JDM for about 2 or 3 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

JHMEG wrote:
    A mildly tuned Glanza would do the same power, better mpg, has the same badge and would be cheaper. Would you drive one of them?
    A Glanza is front wheel drive and wouldn't be as comfortable or have as many accessories. I seriously doubt it handles as good as an Altezza.
    Cars are about a lot more then 0-60 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

bazz26 wrote:
    Actually the Alteeza was sold with the 6 pot unit also in the JDM but the Yamaha beans unit is the most popular due to it's superior performance.

yeh the altezza as200 is the same as the is200 while the altezza rs200 is the superior yamaha beams tuned engine

Went out for a test drive in it today. Was really comfortable, lovely drive and had plenty of power.
    The trip was showin an average MPG of about 20mpg though! Dont think i could afford to run it tbh, as well as pay the tax on a 2lire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

JHMEG wrote:
    To be fair, that's a silly statement, more so seeing as you usually know better!
    For a start, despite all the mouth from the owners, it takes more than mild tuning to get a glanza to over 200bhp. Secondly, if someone sucessfully had tuned one to over 200bhp, I'd say they will be looking for a sum of money not far below the Altezza price... and thirdly the badge means nothing to me. I don't care if it has a Kia badge stuck on it.
    I might as well throw in that a glanza is fairly crap compared to anything newer in the same class as it, let alone 3 classes up and newer!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

NiSmO wrote:

Well I've been quoted 1 grand, with 1 years NCB and 23 years old.

If you are actually serious about getting a Lexus unlike some of your posts in the past where there are alot of inconsistances in them.

Fair dues if you do get insured but I find it very unlikely that any company will insure a 17 year old with a 2litre car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Originally Posted by NiSmO
    they couldn't give me a figure till i get my full licence but they "guaranteed" I'd get a quote i'm only going by that.
    Then there is tax, maintenance, petrol costs...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

Lots of white altezzas on our streets and there are no altezza gitas (estate).
    So while so many people change the badges, they dont remove the Altezza name badge, the grille emblem or the wind deflectors. Im surprised that there hasnt been any of the Alteeza based Progres models sold here. It appears to be styled on a mid 90s C-Class and looks like a baby LS430 on the front.
    toyota_progres_3147838.jpg

Cos they look ridiculous imo

Advertisement