Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Irish house spiders bite?

• 17-08-2007 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I always used to pick up spiders and put them carefully outside to go on their merry way - till I moved into my house a few years ago. Its near a lake and seeing as there are always lots of flies and midges around I initially was glad of the odd spider to get rid of them but how things change!

The spiders that are a constant nuisance in my house are bloody huge - seriously! Was lying in bed reading my book one night when one the size of the palm of my hand walked down the pillow centimetres from my head - I actually screamed so loud stunned him into shock after which he went to spider heaven the f***er!:D

Since then I've been operating kill on sight (and capture!) policy!!! :mad:

But I now think that a spider bit me in my bed the other night - seriously - felt something bite but couldn't find anything at that time. Bed was nonetheless hoovered and indeed sprayed with a mite / insect killing spray, bedclothes were boiled etc. But I've just come home about to get into my bed and another motherf***er the size of my palm just scooted out from under my duvet - could he be what bit me the other night or am I losing my mind?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Irish spiders, no, but due to the weather, spiders from hotter climates may be able to live here for short periods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Curlykfriday

the_syco wrote:
    Irish spiders, no, but due to the weather, spiders from hotter climates may be able to live here for short periods.

Jaysus, I couldn't be unlucky enough to have foreign feckers as well as a houseful of Irish spiders!! Currently scouring net to see what options are out there to keep one's home spider-free. I've had enough of them, they're taking over - they're getting that big and cheeky they'll be asking me for dinner next thing.

I really do think it was a spider that bit me - must be going mental! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Got bitten on the back of the hand by one last year and the spot around the bite just went numb then greyish. Wouldn't heal until I took away the dead parts.

bushy... wrote:
    Got bitten on the back of the hand by one last year and the spot around the bite just went numb then greyish. Wouldn't heal until I took away the dead parts.

So it could have been a spider that bit me then :rolleyes: !

All I can say is that I am now on a mission to make my house a spider free zone - that fecker in me bed was a step too far!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Spider bites can be problematic - you should keep an eye on it. Have you noticed any strange changes lately? Eg -vision sharper, muscle development, odd discharges from wrists?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Fredrick

MsFifers wrote:
    Spider bites can be problematic - you should keep an eye on it. Have you noticed any strange changes lately? Eg -vision sharper, muscle development, odd discharges from wrists?

Funny Post :D

MsFifers wrote:

OH MY GOD - YES, YES, YES! And I was able to paint all the ceilings in my house without a ladder the other day too!!!:D :D:D

Seriously though, if anyone has any proven methods of getting rid of the pesky feckers let me know - it's gone beyond a joke now. I want a spider-free home ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

what about some smelly herbs... like mint keeps cats away(i think it's mint anyway) and lavendar keeps other things away... maybe there could be a herb out there for keeping spiders away??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Seriously though, if anyone has any proven methods of getting rid of the pesky feckers let me know - it's gone beyond a joke now. I want a spider-free home ;)

Do you have a cat? I have and if I see a spider I just show it to him and he won't rest til its eaten. I guess it's just his predator instinct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 getuptheyard

Spiders hate conkers, when its the right season put a load of them around your house that will keep most of them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The common large black house spider can bite & draw blood but they are harmless & have no venom etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SpicyNoodle

Woodlouse spiders are the only ones capable of bitting humans in Ireland. House spiders are fine because their jaws cannot open wide enough to bite humans. So far they have only been reported in the north of Ireland. They range in size from around 3/4 of an inch, or a little less than 2 cm.

Picture of a woodlouse spider-Dysdera crocata.

dys-crocata_8378_1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

cellar spiders can bite people too

animan wrote:
    cellar spiders can bite people too

What type of cellar spider, do you have any more info? are the native to Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

the ones people call daddy longlegs and have 2 parts to their bodies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What type of cellar spider, do you have any more info? are the native to Ireland?
    Pholcidae can be found in Ireland and they can bite but the effects are negligible.

animan wrote:
    the ones people call daddy longlegs and have 2 parts to their bodies

Where are you getting the info from though. Any proof that they bite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

The common house spider (Tegenaria domestica), the huge black spiders seen running across the floor, do bite, but not seriously.
    You may have issues getting rid of them. The females normally stay hidden in secluded places, i.e. under beds and wardrobes for their whole lives. It's the males or baby spiders that you would normally see. These spiders can last upto a year without food.

• Advertisement

Ahh, thanks bike. I had no idea what cellar spider animan meant, so I take back my statement about woodlouse being the only ones capable of breaking the skin.

schaffer wrote:
    The common house spider (Tegenaria domestica), the huge black spiders seen running across the floor, do bite, but not seriously.
    You may have issues getting rid of them. The females normally stay hidden in secluded places, i.e. under beds and wardrobes for their whole lives. It's the males or baby spiders that you would normally see. These spiders can last upto a year without food.

Can't say the news that the feckers live for up to a year without food has cheered me up but confirms what I've already found they're bloody hard to get rid of!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 thebee

Hey does anyone know if this spider is dangerous? I found it on the wall of my bedroom, my boyfriend captured it in a container and flushed it down the toilet. Then.... when he was having a shower the next day it came up out of the drain at him. I took a pic of it and emailed it on to pest control and the guy that got it was pretty freaked for someone who works with bugs all year round.Anyway he said he's never seen anything like it, and that he would send the pic of to be identified, until then i was advised to leave my house. YES people a spider evicted me!!!!!!

It was about the size of the palm of my hand and really hairy!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: check out the attachment below to see it! Or if anyone has any idea what type of spider it is could they let me know please!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭golfgirl

God help you people. I have a pretty bad spider phobia, although a little device that I got on the internet has helped me alot. It's called a spider-catcher and basically is a rod with bristles at the end which catches up the spider and then you can release him outside ... minimum stress and spider lives on. Only problem is (and the last post about how the spider came back up the drain a case in point) is that spiders have those homing tendancies, like pigeons, so they may slip back in your vent again. However, for a quick fix I would recommend the spider-catcher for any agoraphobics (sp?) out there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭stcatherine

thebee wrote:
    Hey does anyone know if this spider is dangerous?

Hi hun, don't worry it's just a common House spider (Tegenaria domestica) There are several 'look alike' species but this one is identified by the chevron markings on the top of its abdomen.

They are bloody scary and We got a lot of them in our house in England and I taught my Staffie to hunt them down and Kill em on sight :rolleyes: . All I have to do is say 'Spider' and she goes into hunting mode !!
    Since moving back to Eire 6 weeks ago I haven't seen any spiders anything like the same size and I was hoping you didn't get em here, but obviously you do !!

The only tip I can give to ward them off is conkers !! believe it or not they are supposed to be a great detterent if you lay them out on your window sills !

Failing that ... want to borrow a trained Killer ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

OH MY GOD - YES, YES, YES! And I was able to paint all the ceilings in my house without a ladder the other day too!!!:D :D:D

I hope you were using paint...

In Texas, there's quite a few spiders that bite and can put you in the hospital. However, could be worse, EVERYTHING, including the pigeons and ponies, are poisonous in Australia. But not much in Ireland is poisonous aside from my ex-wife, so chances are you simply have a rash you picked up from a public toilet. I suggest antibiotics...

Here's a lil garden spider I found not too long ago...The mobile is about 4" tall, btw, with the spider about a foot away in the background so it's web wouldn't snag my phone. That's right, it's about a 5" spider IN A WEB. Why on earth someone decided we needed 5" spiders making webs and hanging out in Texas? Only thing I can reckon is possum and raccoon control.
    :

large.jpg
    large.jpg

If you look closely, you can see she has babies. Awwwww......

Wez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

lol she's prolly gonna digest herself as food for them soon..

I like spiders and bugs in general.. I wish I could be an entomologist.. :rolleyes:

anyways this is the uberest spider I've encountered short of tarantulas in pet shops and what not :

62E502E48FF2441394B8FA4F75F0BE8A-800.jpg
    1B4DCFB36D1B49AF81D6E9663150D28C-800.jpg

Doesn't this look like a woodlouse spider, found it today in my house. Do they exist in the rep of Ireland, I am starting to question that one. Not big, macro makes it look huge lol...

DSC02587.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 anfearciuin

Woodlouse spiders are the only ones capable of bitting humans in Ireland. House spiders are fine because their jaws cannot open wide enough to bite humans. So far they have only been reported in the north of Ireland. They range in size from around 3/4 of an inch, or a little less than 2 cm.

Picture of a woodlouse spider-Dysdera crocata.

dys-crocata_8378_1.jpg
    im living in dublin and i found one of those woodlouse in my back garden just today.i read an article recently about a maltese spider which is a domestic spider and was introduced here accidently,it bites and has venom which produce's
    flu like symptoms in its victims

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

Jaysus, I couldn't be unlucky enough to have foreign feckers as well as a houseful of Irish spiders!! Currently scouring net to see what options are out there to keep one's home spider-free. I've had enough of them, they're taking over - they're getting that big and cheeky they'll be asking me for dinner next thing.

I really do think it was a spider that bit me - must be going mental! :(

get a cat, they love to eat spiders

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement