Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Irish house spiders bite?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

i just want to add that i'm terrified of spiders and i am sick to my tummy, with goose bumps all over and a slight versions of the cold sweats...#

so that you all for those loverly pictures!!!

bastards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

The hover normally does the job for me if the cats dont catch them! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

*uncontrollable shudder at sight of scary pics*
    I hate spiders, and had the misfortune of living in a house where there were literally hundreds of huge fat hairy agressive spiders who'd actually make a run for you. I kid you not. Must've smelled the abject fear.

Raid spray seems to do the trick if you cannot a) squish them to death or b) are too squeamish to capture and release outside. Never saw the point of releasing outside as the blighters just found their way back in again anyway.
    But the raid stuff is great, it seems to linger wherever you spray it too, so they don't come back again for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I was bitten by a spider once. Like getting jabbed by a pin. No swelling or pain afterward. Maybe I shouldn't have picked it up. Co. Antrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fguihen

i am not the fondest of spiders, but i much rather them about than flies. anyway, whenever i find a spider, it ALWAYS gets covered with a glass, slide paper under and bring him out to the garden. found one in the house 2 days ago sitting in the middle of the floor about 3 inches long. not a daddy long legs one either, big thick legs on the bugger. he went outside just the same. never kill them, they are useful, although ugly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

*Page* wrote: »
    i just want to add that i'm terrified of spiders and i am sick to my tummy, with goose bumps all over and a slight versions of the cold sweats...#

so that you all for those loverly pictures!!!

bastards

Me too. But me being me, i just had to look. Silly me....

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cvisser

hi guys, this is the spider i found in my house and since then i have found 4 of these, all simial size and all in the landing area, they are very very quick and big, i was physicaly sick when i saw the size of him her, all help please, Thanks, i have 2 young childeren, 12 months and 4 years, will the spiders harm them @ all. now these pictures are taken when i caught him in the pint Glass.....

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Definitely no money spiders ... ;)
    I don't know much about them, but I'd say you are pretty safe there. A previous poster mentioned that there isn't many biting insects in Ireland ... not even mosquitoes bite here !!!!
    Btw, the spider catcher is a great tool for catching spiders without killing them.
    ValerieR

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 64 ✭✭2Poc

cvisser wrote: »
    hi guys, this is the spider i found in my house and since then i have found 4 of these, all simial size and all in the landing area, they are very very quick and big, i was physicaly sick when i saw the size of him her, all help please, Thanks, i have 2 young childeren, 12 months and 4 years, will the spiders harm them @ all. now these pictures are taken when i caught him in the pint Glass.....

Thanks.

These are normal house spiders.
    This time of year the males come out of their hidey holes looking for females to mate.
    They will bite but are not aggressive.

The reason they are getting bigger is that they are living longer in the milder winters. Generally they'd die off once it gets cold.

I had a real problem with these guys over the last couple of years, my wife is terrified of them & we were having these feckers scuttling across the floor almost every evening once it got to this time of year.

I hate killing spiders or anything else for that matter but after a second year of this problem I decided to just kill them rather than the usual catch & release.

(We had tried plug in contraptions in the house, 'spider stop' spray etc to no avail)

So I killed all the ones I saw & this year we don't have the same problem.

Like I said, I don't take killing anything lightly, but the final straw for me was when I saw one beside my baby daughters head & I just lost the head completely..

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cvisser

Thanks Guys, i just could'nt get over the size of him, does anybody know what there called..

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 64 ✭✭2Poc

They are Giant house spiders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_house_spider

As an aside I had a strange little spider run across my desk earlier in the week & when I went to catch him he reared up & put his two front legs up in the air at me. Freaky..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭capedcrustacian

i got bitten by a spider a couple of years ago on my finger, it got all swollen and ever since, i don't touch the lil guys, i get someone else to remove them for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Very interesting thread... About a month ago I was sitting down watching TV when I saw a HUGE spider running across the room. It wasn't a house spider or any of the other spiders mentioned on here either :confused: I don't mind spiders, but it did scare me a bit!

I saw it every evening for about a week, and one day when I was walking into the sitting room (barefoot - but I was wearing socks) I felt something horrible tingling under my foot and I jumped and screamed when I realised that it was the bl**dy huge spider! :o It managed to run off even though it was missing some legs, but I never saw it afterwards so I presume it died somewhere shortly afterwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

jameshayes wrote: »
    what about some smelly herbs...

he wants to kill em not have a smoke and get stoned with em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

he wants to kill em not have a smoke and get stoned with em

You could be close to the truth!.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tundra

Last night in bed I strongly suspect that I was also bitten by a spider on the back of my hand. Woke abruptly with a stinging sensation and a small weal resulted. After recent newspaper reports of a spider found in Ireland that was suspected of being an Australian immigrant with a bad attitude I wondered was this just a case of mass hysteria and after washing my hands went back to sleep. This morning I found on the bed cover near where my hand had been (Yuk!) what strongly appeared to be a detached spiders leg. Bedroom now forensically vacuumed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

Hey! I was bitten by a spider in a house I rented in Maynooth about 2 years ago.

I woke up and I turned to my partner and the first words out of my mouth were, "my hand hurts". I then raised my hand and it looked exactly like the pic below.

For about 3 weeks after that, every day it filled up with pus and one day I finally couldnt take the pain anymore and took a tweezers to it and after tearing my hand open I pulled something out and it went away.

I still have a scar on my knuckle.

garden-spiders-hand-bite.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

RTE Radio 1 ran a piece on a very aggressive species of bed mite people are bringing back with them from holidays. Then it lives quite happily over here. Are you sure it was a spider?

Amazing feature, basically families in Dublin having to live away from the house while it was treated, they prefer bed frames with wood, or fabric covered frames with wood, which you would get with most discount and chain store furniture.

Just to say, about house spiders. The female will be bigger than the male and can live for several years.

I wonder if any studies are being done on invasive species?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

Cellar spiders can have quite long leg spans, do your spiders have very skinny bodies and long, bandy leg spans? Speculation states they are the most venomous spider in the world, but can't do humans any harm as the fangs cannot pierce our skin, the worst this spider can do is give you a surface tingle for a few seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

A good few eyars ago I kept getting spider bites..turned out there was a nest of them in my sheets!!!

Got rid of th thing straight away!,KOS for any of thm in my room usually:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

thebee wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know if this spider is dangerous? I found it on the wall of my bedroom, my boyfriend captured it in a container and flushed it down the toilet. Then.... when he was having a shower the next day it came up out of the drain at him. I took a pic of it and emailed it on to pest control and the guy that got it was pretty freaked for someone who works with bugs all year round.Anyway he said he's never seen anything like it, and that he would send the pic of to be identified, until then i was advised to leave my house. YES people a spider evicted me!!!!!!

It was about the size of the palm of my hand and really hairy!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: check out the attachment below to see it! Or if anyone has any idea what type of spider it is could they let me know please!!!!!!!!

That pic just made me cry a little:( Is he dead now? please god yes:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Yellowsubmarine

Oh my god them pictures are so scary... there was a thing in the newspapers a few weeks ago saying that black widow spiders and huntsman spiders are in ireland they got over here from australia and america in plants and fruit or something like that and that a few people in ireland have been rushed to the A&E after being bitten by these poisonous spiders :eek: the huntsman one is really scary i was reading about it on the internet and they can leap several feet into the air :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 luvablelizzie

You can actually get a thingy that u plug into ur walls, it works for mice and small rodents too, but there's different settings, it doesnt affect large animals (aka dogs), and it works a dream! I have been pest free (all types and sizes) for months now.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

You can actually get a thingy that u plug into ur walls, it works for mice and small rodents too, but there's different settings, it doesnt affect large animals (aka dogs), and it works a dream! I have been pest free (all types and sizes) for months now.

Good luck!

Whats the name of it? I have the pest-x one and there's still the odd spider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mobby

Good luck!

Brought one some time ago in B&Q, found it useless and a waste of €45 to be honest. Most definitely did not keeps spiders way as I found one behind it one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MpOwEr_09

thebee wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know if this spider is dangerous? I found it on the wall of my bedroom, my boyfriend captured it in a container and flushed it down the toilet. Then.... when he was having a shower the next day it came up out of the drain at him. I took a pic of it and emailed it on to pest control and the guy that got it was pretty freaked for someone who works with bugs all year round.Anyway he said he's never seen anything like it, and that he would send the pic of to be identified, until then i was advised to leave my house. YES people a spider evicted me!!!!!!

It was about the size of the palm of my hand and really hairy!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: check out the attachment below to see it! Or if anyone has any idea what type of spider it is could they let me know please!!!!!!!!

I have loads of those spiders in my appertment... and im aracnaphobic!! do you know of anyway to exterminate them!!! they scare the absolute ****e out of me!!:o:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lian81

Hi yes foreigin spiders bite. I woke up a month a go to find myself covered in a rash and went to the doctors and was told that i got it from a spider bite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

This thread is ****ed.

I have a spider living about 2 or 3 feet from where I lay my head in my bed.

I don't like spiders at all, however this guy seems ok. He built a really weird web in the corner of my window. I was going to leave him alone until I noticed he wasn't hanging out in the web but was wandering around the wall a bit so I threw him outside.

A few days later I see he had returned to his web! Maybe it was his twin but seriously I think he had come back into the apartment and managed to navigate his way back into my room.

Anyway, I have a deal with him now that if he stays away from me I'll stay away from him. He appears to be scared of me now (he saw me come near him and ran into a little hole) so I'm guessing (praying!) he doesn't want to walk into my mouth as I sleep.

In general I'm ok with anything as long as they stay the hell away from me. Spiders are freaky though. I know they would eat me if they could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 marset

I am sitting here not going to go to bed. A massive spider went into the bedroom and up the wall so I got the flat mop and squashed it to the wall, when I moved the mop it ran down behind the wardrobe. Then it reappeared so the other half hit it with a stick, I heard a cruch but it got up and run behind the wardrobe again. My sister told me that in a liftime we swallow about 7 spiders so I sleep with the duvet in my mouth...
    I am terrified of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

marset wrote: »
    I am sitting here not going to go to bed. A massive spider went into the bedroom and up the wall so I got the flat mop and squashed it to the wall, when I moved the mop it ran down behind the wardrobe. Then it reappeared so the other half hit it with a stick, I heard a cruch but it got up and run behind the wardrobe again. My sister told me that in a liftime we swallow about 7 spiders so I sleep with the duvet in my mouth...
    I am terrified of them.

You shouldn't have done that. When a spider is killed it's body releases an odour that sends out a 'cry for help' signal. Any spiders in the area will go and try help the injured spider. Your house probably had ten times more spiders this morning than last night.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement